Thread: Full Moon?

Default Full Moon?

Is anyone taking advantage of the warm weather and full moon? I think Ill head out and see what I can scare up tonight. Night calling is always a bit of a trill and harder than heck. There is nothing like having a coyote bark at you behind a bush at 10 yards to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Happy hunting.

If it clears up I'll be heading out for some evening calling. Otherwise if we have serious cloud cover I think I'll stay home and drink some beer instead.

If it's clear this weenend, I may give it a shot. The moon won't be full, but it should still be close enough to cast a lot of light.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh man i was looking at it this am... sure wished i had the time. 30 degrees out with a bright light. ....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Hmm, maybe I'll go

My batteries are charged and my gear is not too scattered. Might be fun to go make a couple of sets. Not sure what I'd do with an animal, but maybe that makes it more likely to find one if I am not ready for it.
    It was 12 degrees when I came home, and showing 14 degrees now. That is a lot nicer to sit in than 20 below.

Default Have a very nice

moon here. Had two fox in my driveway last night. They won't last long doing that! They seem to find my trapping scraps!! They might even show up while I am typing this!

Default 3 stands

I went out and made 3 stands last night. The first one was a bust and I didn't see anything. Second one the wind must have been wrong because I had a coyote howl and bark at me for about 10 mins before I realized I was had. Last stand there was a bit of mist out so the light was pretty weak. I did manage to get a fox within range and put him down but he was really leery and stood out on a pole line at about 1000 yds for 15 minuets looking at me. Finally the mouse sqeeker got him to come down the hill. FMJ .223 dead center in the chest and he was down. The bullet made a little hole in and a little hole out right about his belly button. Of course all I had was my iphone so the pictures in the dark are terrible. But the weather was great. I think Ill try again tomorrow night if the weather is nice again. Maybe Ill try for a kitty again.

Default nice

you saw him that far away? Must have been bright as high noon. Were you mouth calling or using electronics? Sounds like you had a ball.

Im not sure if it was 1000 yards or not, that's just a ball park estimation. I just know he looked really small at 4X magnification. Steped off when I shot him was 95 steps. It was pretty bright, makes a good light gathering scope worth every penny when you out with the night critters. I have a cheapo electronic that I picked up at sportsmens about 3 years ago in the lesser 48. It seems to do the trick on the cottontail setting.
    Last edited by byrd_hntr; 12-08-2009 at 01:26. Reason: spelling

Default pee my pants

I get excited when I see animals. I'd about pee my pants to watch a predator coming from 1,000 yards. By the time he got close I'd be twitching and frothing at the mouth! That would be so awesome.
    Normally I see nothing. But on the rare occasion I do, they normally jump out in front of me, scare the mess out of me, and leave. Unscathed no less. That causes about the same wet pant result as the 1st scenario too.
    I remember driving down to Soldotna one winter, and lots of the way we drove without headlights. It was so bright throughout the night that we could make out details on the trees. Those would be super cool nights to be hunting.
    Did you ever finish your sled? Got photos? We need to resurrect the old sled thread.
    What color was your fox? Were you able to get photos? Here I am asking about pictures and I never seem able to post any. Too challenged I guess.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I get excited when I see animals. I'd about pee my pants to watch a predator coming from 1,000 yards. By the time he got close I'd be twitching and frothing at the mouth! That would be so awesome.
    Normally I see nothing. But on the rare occasion I do, they normally jump out in front of me, scare the mess out of me, and leave. Unscathed no less. That causes about the same wet pant result as the 1st scenario too.
    I remember driving down to Soldotna one winter, and lots of the way we drove without headlights. It was so bright throughout the night that we could make out details on the trees. Those would be super cool nights to be hunting.
    Did you ever finish your sled? Got photos? We need to resurrect the old sled thread.
    What color was your fox? Were you able to get photos? Here I am asking about pictures and I never seem able to post any. Too challenged I guess.
    oooooohhhhhh i so have to take you spring bear calling... but you have to bring your own seat....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default That is why I like to hunt

Because there is always something different, new, exciting going on. Because animals are awesome, because the woods smell better than the city. I hope I never grow up and hunting gets mundane. At that point I quit. Done.
    I about had my eyes pop out of my head the other night I saw those 2 animals when I was calling. I get to the point, because I don't tend to see much when calling, that I probably won't see anything. Then I do and it is amazing. Then I'll go for a long time with a dry spell, then I'll get a "crumb". Another sighting to keep me going. Or a track in my boot track on the way back to the truck.
    Call in bears? YOU BETCHA BY GOLLY. I'M YOUR GUY! Can I do it with a bow?

Call in bears? YOU BETCHA BY GOLLY. I'M YOUR GUY! Can I do it with a bow?
    of course... can i watch you pee your pants? ( HA!) ( insert non working big grin here)( and a wink)you know the first time her son seen that bear come through the brush... thats what he said too.... i love it....

meet on face book here

Default Its all fun and games till.......

You half asleep because its way past your bed time and your not really paying attention and then a coyote/fox/kitty/hopfully not a bear or wolf jumps in your lap and give you a great big kiss. All joking aside this has happened to me. I thought I was going to die when a coyote came trotting up behind me and I could hear it panting but was too afraid to turn around. I don't think my hands stopped shaking for a week. And yeah I missed 3 times and he was just as shocked as I was and didn't know which way to run. If only someone was videotaping me I would be famous. Im a little more careful about where I place my blind side now. And I carry a shotgun too. Ok now Im getting the hebegebees!

Default Who was running?

you said:
    "...and didn't know which way to run...."

You or the coyote?

Wish I had been a squirrel on a tree watching that. I'd have laughed so hard I'd have fallen out of that tree, probably on your head, and scared you worse!

Too funny.

So you get tired too? I thought I was the only guy in the world that could get all set up, start the call, and be asleep in seconds. Kind of like a lullaby maybe.

So you get tired too? I thought I was the only guy in the world that could get all set up, start the call, and be asleep in seconds. Kind of like a lullaby maybe.
    That's an advantage of the mouth call. It's pretty hard to fall asleep when you're blowing on that thing for all you're worth.

Default amen

I've blown that thing till my lips are numb and I can only mumble. Yep, even I would have a hard time sleeping while blowing on a kazoo.