Thread: Xpress aluminum jon boat

Default Xpress aluminum jon boat

Hi folks, we recently got rid of our 16' Almar w/35 2 stroke (too heavy, not great on kenai) and got a used Xpress aluminum jon boat---VJ series, 16 footer. It's pretty nice, camo paint job, 25 4-stoke tiller Yamaha, and what appears to be custom rear trim tabs/storage boxes/sponsons on the rear, aft of the transom, on both sides of the motor. Was wondering which pitch/diam props would be best for this rig? It probably has the stock alum. prop, but this summer we'll use it quite a bit on the Kenai w/ 3 guys, they/we all weigh 200 lbs. plus. Want a prop to get a heavy load on plane, top speed not that critical. Also, is running a stainless prop on the kenai foolish? I realize they don't "give" when you hit something.
    Thanks!
    PS---would it also be foolish to try to use this boat trolling for kings/inshore halibut fishing out of Deep Creek and hitting Fox Island in Seward for silvers?
    Last edited by Big Jim; 12-14-2006 at 21:02. Reason: Additional question

Sorry I can't help with what pitch prop to use but I would inquire about one that will give you power from the holeshot. The boat usually won't run as fast but it will be able to get on step with a load. As far as a stainless prop, IMO the price can't be justified on that small of a motor. As far as hitting something with a SS prop, well your right, odds are not in your favor and you may break a shaft or 2 in your motor. That can cost $300+ not including labor. Aluminum will give and sooner or later you will strike something in the river. Aluminum is easier to dress for the average guy with a file and a bent blade if not to bad can usually be fixed. Using a mallet with something to back up (another mallet) the blade you can bend it back into shape. Be sure to back it up or you may break it off.

Thanks for the tips McGuyver!
    Jim