Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 arctic cat wont start

Default 08 arctic cat wont start

41miles on it been driven nice obviously set for more than a few days and looses its charge wont start? Dealer says its a battery clock? anybody have any similar problems or more info? Sounds like its a piece of junk to me if i have to run it every other day to keep it dependable.
    thanks
    Hunter

What model ? I have two 500's and one 400. One of tbe 500's and the 400 start easily. My 500 has a mystery drain and it won't hold a charge for more than a day or so. I couldn't figure it out, so I just went with an easy fix. Go to Batteries Plus off Knik Goose Bay road in Wasilla. They sell a battery minder that wires into the battery under the seat. It then plugs into an outlet and keeps the battery charged. I think it was $30. They also sell better batteries than come stock on wheelers. ATV batteries are notoriously bad in the cold and it really isn't the machines fault.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My dad's '06 H1 had the same issue. Ended up cleaning ever contact on the block, changing out all fuses and replacing battery.

Turned out to be a faulty light switch causing the drain. Worth checking into.

Oh if anyone is interested its for sale lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fightin' a mystery drain on my '99 AC 500 also. I think I might know what it might be, but havent had the time to investigate yet...

By battery clock do you mean the clock on the display? I have a hard time thinking that would be it.

With our LED displays, there is a constant drain on the batteries. You need to run it every few days, plan on re charging once a month, or disconnect the negative side of your battery when you are going to let it sit. A real PITA in my opinion, but otherwise it is not worth getting rid of IMHO
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yep, those electonic dashes drain the cheap batteries quick once it's cold out. Not just a Cat problem.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Batteries

I have friends with motor cycles that have gone to lithium ion (Lap top)and the like because they still function in the cold well . ther are certain cautions with some of the new batteries , but it would do well to investagate.
    I rarely leave any thing the way I get it , and in that light I might be tempted to find a new location for a car battery, in stead, with may be a battery jacket. but that's me .

Default battery minder

You're car would do the same thing if you don't plug it in...like previously mentioned, there is a great $30 fix - hard wire a battery minder in and problem solved.
    I had identical problem on my 08 AC 400...I put in the battery minder and a little heater pad in the battery box...plugged them into a 3way plug (plan on putting an oil pan heater on too...which may be overkill but what the heck)...and never had a problem starting down to -20 so far.

Hmmm, this may be a future purchase of mine...sounds good...

Default switch

How about just installing a simple battery cut-off switch. not too expensive and easy to install. Oh and doesn't need an extension cord to work like the minder.

Not sure what you guys are talking about having the LCD display drain the battery... If you battery is good, the LCD wouldn't be able to drain the battery for months on end much less in a few days.

My 6x6 has LCD display and a $50 wal-mart battery. I let it sit for a week or two at a time during the winter and it always fires right up.

If you have hot grips, make sure they turn off with the ignition or else they will drain it in a hurry. Also, the winch solenoid could be wired up wrong and remain powered up with the key off.

I really doubt it is the display causing your problem though (just my opinion...)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This is Alaska...usually having an extension cord connected to a vehicle is not a deal breaker...esp since a battery minder offers so much more confidence and protection than a "battery cut-off switch"...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    How about just installing a simple battery cut-off switch. not too expensive and easy to install. Oh and doesn't need an extension cord to work like the minder.

Have any of you checked to see what the charging output is while running?

AC's are known for having bad regulators.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The service guy at the dealer claims it was a battery clock. I was a little rude to him because in my opinion IF i spend 6grand on a machine i expect to not have to plug it in to use it. I have an 01 that will sit for months and still fire right up. Its pretty pointless if you have to baby a machine that could save you in the field or leave you stranded. I thought too about a battery switch. I would think that would fix the problem but it doesnt seem right to have a brand new machine 41miles on it and ive had it into the shop twice and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Obviously it wont start and its new theres something wrong with it. Thanks for all the responses, Id like to hear anyother ideas or similar problems/fixes.
    Hunter

In order to fix your problem you will need to measure how much drain you have on your battery. This can be done by putting a low range amp meter in series with the battery. The next thing you need to do is remove one wire at a time, until you find the problem. One other thing each time you remove a wire put it back before removing the next wire.

My '04 H2 sat untouched outside till last week since Aug. other then having to crank a little longer to fire.....it started right up.

Default AC battery drain...

I have an '06 500 cc AC TRV with the original battery. Haven't had any major problems with the battery running down unless I've let it sit for a couple of weeks or more.

I wired in a a plug to the batt. that matches the end of my trickle charger, which has a plug for the +/- charging clamps. Just unplug the clamps and plug in the charger to the AC batt..

I travel a lot on the job so if I know I'm going to be gone for a week or more I'll plug it in. The plug tucks under the seat when not in use.

On the flip side I also have an '07 Chevy 2500 work P/U. It's a real pain. If I let it sit for more than 3 days the battery is as dead as a bag of hammers, even if it's parked inside.

Replaced the battery with a heavy duty commercial battery. Same issue. Had it totally checked out by the dealer and a second reputable technician. No problem found.

They both tell me it's the computers on the truck draining the battery. Their solution, plug it in or disco. the ground terminal. Still having that one checked out but no one has found the cause for sure.

I have a 08 400 and mine did the same thing. Its the internal clock on the gauge. AC has a better battery that you can get it's a little bigger and seems to work just fine. Plus the battery minder is a good idea I am going to buy one.

I posted a similar problem with my Rubicon last fall/winter. I still don't have a definitive answer- but I found two things when I closely inspected the wiring on my machine, and the problem seems more manageable to me now. 1)The negative terminal connection on my battery was slightly loose. I tightened this and thought problem solved... Then I found a dead machine some time later... I pulled and reset the blade fuse for ignition and though it wasn't dirty or loose, the machine fired right up. I think I had two issues, battery was draining do to loose connection at battery (solved), and some sort of poor contact in the fuse box occasionally causes dead machine- though the battery seems to be fully charged in this circumstance. I haven't had an issue with the battery draining out since the summer. But I have had to use the pull start once or twice because of the lingering ignition fuse box issue.

Well I went to pick up the machine finally today. And they guy told me that its normal the clock for the lcd screen drains the battery over time. I still think its a very bad design. The machine is near impossible to pull start with the automatic choke. I havent been able to do it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast