Thread: "Dead Coyote" Shotshells

Default "Dead Coyote" Shotshells

Has anyone used the Hevi Shot "Dead Coyote" shotshells? These folks are advertising 70yd effectiveness, but I'm kinda skeptical. Thought it might be a good thing to use on stuff called in close without trashing a pelt with a high power rifle.

Post i used a 12ga 3"

with lead BB on full choke for years works find (old auto 5 =5 shots s-auto) if i could get my brother to get off his 36" barreled 3 shot marlin bolt ,it would rule! when i was in high school we could get 6 and 4 size shot, to go THUR a 303 can at 60 yds........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default dead yote

Havent used them on coyotes, but they sure put the hurt on big geese. I knocked a goose down I never thought I would reach with one shot from a dead coyote shell.

I’ve used them and liked them. but... I shot a cross fox last year at about 60-70 yards using 3 ½ inch with a full choke. I only got one pellet in it but it was lethal. I haven’t tried a coyote at 70 yards but would be concerned at that distance on the bigger dog if it would be lethal. I try not to use a shotgun out past 40 yards though...

I shot a few coyotes with them, one at 62 paces and was impressed with the results. Shot them over dogs with a patternmaster choke tube. They are spendy but I think they are excellent shells for coyote hunting, I was using the 3.5" shells. I have used 3" #4 buck for a while and had similar results but the dead coyote shot was more consistant when I patterned it.

$3.50 per round+ shp! OMG.........was tempted until I saw that part. I think I'll stick with #4 buck until I win the lottery.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

I have never used Dead Coyote on predators but it sure whacks the geese. I have used 2 and BB copper plated, buffered, Fed. shells 3/12" in 10 ga on lots of fox and coyote and killed out to 70 yards but thats pushing it. Anything over about 60 yards, wait for a broad side shot and the I hold over about 16" and bust um. Usually shots at over about 65 yards take follow up. Good Luck Duckdon

I've shot coyote and lynx with it and it simply performs great. The lynx was about 40-50 yards away and the coyote was about 50 yards away and dropped them both in their tracks. I have a Dead Yote extended choke and am shooting the 3.5 inch Dead Yotes. It's great in the thick stuff up close when they come flying in. It's pricey stuff, but I'm not shooting hundreds of rounds of it like I do when I'm waterfowl hunting.

Penny wise, dollar poor. $3.50 x $125.00 lynx...............Need I say more??? Duckdon

Hornady #4 buckshot is better anyways.