Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosswinds lake ice fishing

Default Crosswinds lake ice fishing

Hi Fishermen I just fished on crosswinds lake fishing is good caught several good bourbot & the lake trout we caught we through back the smallest one was 12 pounds. The ice is a foot thick & there is no over flow.for more info or directions call 907 320 1016. ask for Kirk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great fish report and nice looking laker and burbot Kirk!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Wow what a day. You can be darn proud of those pics!

Quote Originally Posted by kirk wilson View Post
    Hi Fishermen I just fished on crosswinds lake fishing is good caught several good bourbot & the lake trout we caught we through back the smallest one was 12 pounds. The ice is a foot thick & there is no over flow.for more info or directions call 907 320 1016. ask for Kirk
    hello freind,
    I'll have to show you how it's done here in a few As usual folks......if you don't know.......this Kirk fella is the "grand fatha" of the land up in those neck of the woods. and according to him "he aint picky about any beer"

hmm....Kirk you'll be hearing from me, I'm sold!!! Probably not this weekend, I need to get the gear out and make sure it works (my auger in particular)
    .....I hate early ice, actually deathly afraid of it after loosing a family member on thin ice. Same day Iwas the first day I was out ice fishing for the year...not good news to come home too. That was long ago now, but the thought doesnt linger to far away!

Dan

Sorry to hear your loss TradBow..

Default Nice report!

Glad to hear you through the lakers back. It would be nice to see more people do that at Lake Louise. Do people really spend that much time and effort just to eat the fish? Not me, I like to catch and release the slow growing fish. Small ones taste better in my opinion. Good luck to all, can' wait to get a machine and fish that lake.

thanks 21. It was a long time ago, but it still lingers every year at early ice.

Got the pilot point on the jiffy sharpened tonight. Gonna do a tad bit of maintenence on the auger tomorrow before we cook some turkey. (yup another thanks giving ) Gonna try and get out on sat!

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    Glad to hear you through the lakers back. It would be nice to see more people do that at Lake Louise. Do people really spend that much time and effort just to eat the fish? Not me, I like to catch and release the slow growing fish. Small ones taste better in my opinion. Good luck to all, can' wait to get a machine and fish that lake.
    They don't taste very good anyway. They make great memories and awesome pictures, but their taste isn't that great. With all the world class salmon up here I can't see eating lake trout.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

wow....you obviously havent had smoked laketrout.

I've kept one up here, we baked it..good stuff! On my trips back home when we make it up to superior we'll stop by the typical mom and pop shops....and of course they sell smoked lakers..wow is that good...greasey but good! We made a mess one spring on a trip to a local steelhead spot in the front of the truck (oops LOL). I think the trip was more for that smoked laker then it was for the steely fishn but dad will never admit to it ! I dont advocate killing them either, but to say they taste bad might be a slight misnomer!

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    They don't taste very good anyway. They make great memories and awesome pictures, but their taste isn't that great. With all the world class salmon up here I can't see eating lake trout.
    i beg to differ.......lakers fresh out of the oven is one of the best eating fish IMO. Don't even have to bring up burbot either.....which ur gaurenteed a few of those from the same lakes too. When Ice covers the waters 5-6 months of the year.....what do you recomend we eat? chunklight tuna?

I would much rather eat a nice BBQ'd or Beer Battered Lake Trout than Salmon. I just don't care for the taste of salmon.
    I usually cook up a silver or two on my trips to Alaska but my friends are the ones who scarf them down.

Default Almost all fish...

... if cooked properly, can taste good.
    Lakers ooze oil when baked. Char too. Mmmmm.
    Red salmon taste better than silvers, but kings taste best.

The humble pink is great poached.
    Rainbows tend to be the least palatable, but if quick fried in butter with a flour coating they are OK

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kirk wilson View Post
    Thats outstanding Kirk!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    hmm....Kirk you'll be hearing from me, I'm sold!!! Probably not this weekend, I need to get the gear out and make sure it works (my auger in particular)
    .....I hate early ice, actually deathly afraid of it after loosing a family member on thin ice. Same day Iwas the first day I was out ice fishing for the year...not good news to come home too. That was long ago now, but the thought doesnt linger to far away!

Dan
    Thats a good point. I recall an early season trip to flathorn one year. 27 below, only one dumb enough to be there. Rode around on overflow until I found some snowmachine tracks to park on. Took 25 minutes to get the auger started and running good. A couple revolutions later and sploosh. 2.5 to 3 inches of ICE! OH F#*%....

Carefully put everything back in the sled and drove off the lake holding my breath.

Got lucky. Leason learned.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Yikes!! is an under statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    i beg to differ.......lakers fresh out of the oven is one of the best eating fish IMO. Don't even have to bring up burbot either.....which ur gaurenteed a few of those from the same lakes too. When Ice covers the waters 5-6 months of the year.....what do you recomend we eat? chunklight tuna?
    I said "I can't see eating lake trout". You can eat them if you want. I'm just saying they don't taste that good to me. I have eaten them too. I had taste tests at work, (and I'm a pretty good cook). It came in dead last below red salmon, king salmon, albacore tuna (from Oregon), halibut, in a field of about 25 people when I asked. That was about four years ago.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Depends on the feed

I've noticed that lakers taste (and look) different from various bodies of water. for instance, a laker from Tustumena or Skilak is pale and generally tastes different than one from Hidden. I suspect that is due to their diet. Feeder kings often taste different than those running in our rivers (and may have white meat as well). Planted lake fish may taste a lot different than a wild fish.

Care has a lot to do with it also. Any fish I intend to eat I bleed immediately, and if possible I clean it right away. Blood makes the meat taste strong. I keep fish chilled on a stringer or on ice. Way better eating fish if you can slow down deterioration.

Default Curious:

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I said "I can't see eating lake trout". You can eat them if you want. I'm just saying they don't taste that good to me. I have eaten them too. I had taste tests at work, (and I'm a pretty good cook). It came in dead last below red salmon, king salmon, albacore tuna (from Oregon), halibut, in a field of about 25 people when I asked. That was about four years ago.
    Did you cook each specie the same, or differently? I'm wondering, because I cook halibut far differently than I do king salmon; different method, different spices and/or sauce, different cook time. I generally pan fry char or rainbow, but I bake laker or halibut. I grill reds, but poach silvers to keep them moister.

I can see where if you cooked all the species the same way, a certain species might not taste as good as others.

take it to the cooking section!!! keep it about crosswinds..lol who cares what it tastes like, You gotta catch 'em first

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast