Thread: what used mountain machine to buy?

Question what used mountain machine to buy?

Alright ive decided i want to sell my 07 rev, i love it but i want something bigger than the 550f i have and i need to buy the g.f her own aswell.

between an 04 rev 600 and a 03 yamaha RX-1 which would you choose?the ones ive found are the same price.
    Also looking at a polaris or a arctic cat for her, needs to be atleast 136x 1 3/4. and 600cc.

any input u can give would be appreciated. Thanks
    2007 Skidoo Summit 550f 136x16

Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

I would stay away from the RX-1 if you are a deep powder guy. They look cool and sound awesome, but are heavy and only go well in a straight line. Definitely not the machine for boondocking. If you only ride open mountain ranges it may be OK, but if you get in the trees at all you will be hating the extra weight.

I'd go with the REV.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Too heavy

Stay away from the 03 RX1. As mentioned it's not the sled for the deep. I'm assuming you meant RX1 mountain but even then, too many problems during that first year of production. The Vector mountain is a decent sled but you loose some storage because of the rear exiting exhaust. The rev sounds like the better sled. Maybe the gf would like a nice 07 fan?LOL

I am a Yami fan so wouldn't say stay away unless it were true. They have some great stuff and more coming soon, but it will be a while and more refinement before any 4 strokers hit the mountains with great success. IMHO

I thought the same thing about the weight issue. the rx1 weights 110 more than the sled i have now. To be honest im actually happy with the sled i have, its a 136x16x1.3/4 , so it has good enough float and its plenty powerful enough to pull me around im only 160lbs.
    Problem is i just dont like having something i cant tweak and get more power just because. I think its a guy thing. And the g.f complains about me not taking her, and with her on there, its harder to maneuver and play like i do.

Thanks for the input.

Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Default RMK

Keep your eye out for and 02 or 03 700 or 800 RMK. These were great sleds. A buddy of mine picked up an 02 800 151 for a steal last year. It had less that 500 miles on it. I am bais toward these sleds as I own a 02 800 156 that has been bulletproof. Over 4k and never a problem. I destroyed the original track hillclimbing and hitting the tops of rocks that you could not see, peeled off to many lugs. Replaced the track with a later 159 and a big wheel kit. The newer sleds just are not that much better than the 02 - 03 stuff. I have a friend with a new 151X16 800 Rev. It's a great sled but for less than half the cost you might find a real deal on one a few years older. Was not impressed with the pre-Rev ski-dunks but someone else will probably think they were the greatest sleds. I've towed and seen towed too many Arctic Cats to recommend one but someone else will argue that also.

Default rev all the way!!

I would go with the rev. the yammi is heavy, and even the yammi guy said stay away. You haven't heard too many complaints about the revs, or at least I haven't, I have heard nothing but praises about the 600. I am actually looking for a 600 SDI renegade for the wife, but might consider your 550f summit for the right price!?!?! But why wouldn't you put the G.F. on the 550f and get yourself a 600?? Or am I missing something....... wife tells me I am all the time..
    just my .02cents

550fSummitGuy,

I'm sorry, but I had to chuckle a little when I saw your post. I have been reading your other posts and looking at your pictures posted here.

Every time I saw your posts I thought to myself this is a guy who is really exited about his new machine, but I kept thinking this is not enough machine for this guy.

You probably bought it because it was a little cheaper than what you really wanted to buy, but you thought it would get you by for now. Now you realize its not quite enough machine for you. Am I close?

Anyway IMO I would give the 550 to your girlfriend. My wife rides a Polaris Trail RMK wich is a 550 fan and she loves it. It is just right for her.

I cant comment on the two used sleds you were asking about, I am a Polaris guy, but I will say the 550 will be fine for the girlfriend and you should look into somthing in at least the 700 size. I think in the long run you will be much happier than with a 600. Its real nice to have the extra power when you need it, and you wont have to do much in the way of "tweaking a sled for more power" it will come with all you need.

BTW I have an 02 800 RMK in excellant condition that I would think about selling if you ever decide to go Polaris.

Whatever you decide, good luck and happy riding.

Default Which machine

After riding Polaris machines from 1990 to 2003 mosels, I ended up with a 05 Summit 600 and love it. It handles so much better than the older Polaris machines. Its easier to manipulate for me. I am 155 pounds and I can throw the Rev around more than I could the Polaris machines. I can not speak of the latest version of the Polaris, never ridden one yet. As mentioned previously, you may think about letting the girlfriend ride the 550 you have now and get yourself something a little peppier. No matter what, there will be an opinion about every make of machine. Happy Ridin.

Im not against polaris , i actually have thought about buying one, just dont know much about them. Are they under 500lbs? and how reliable are the 02-03 700-800RMKs? 144 or 151 which is better?

I bought the 550f because yes i wanted something new and it was cheaper and honestly was told it would do me fine. and it has So far. But i want something bigger and she has to have her own. In order to do this i have to sell the one i have to pay for 2 diff. sleds.

The 07 rev i have has 80miles on it and is in immaculate condition. If your interested in a price, PM me.

Default Craigslist

Try craigslist.com. There is a 2004 600 Summit for sale with about 700 miles on it for 4500 bucks.

thats the one ive already considered buying.

Default Deal

Seems like a good deal to me.

Default 6oo Rev HO

Darn, upgrading already ... I'll never be able to keep up with you now! My vote goes to a 600 Rev HO. That's what most of the guys I ride with have and they all love them. One of the guys is pushing at least 280 lbs and it hauls his lard butt up the sides of mountains like nothing (he is a very skilled rider also). The hardest thing for you will be to hang on the grips once you peg the throttle!!

SummitGuy
    I've got a 03 RMK 700 w/ 151 track and I love it. A friend cautioned me away from the 800's as they had crankshaft bearing issues in 02 and 03.

I bought a "mountain" sled for deep powder boondocking and this sled has yet to let me down. Talkeetnakid raises a good point in that it is a bear to wind through tight timber. If you're on long trail rides you need to veer off the hardpack and into the powder regularly to keep it cool.

I'm not that familiar with the other brands and I'm sure they're all comparable, but if you need an all-around boondocker you can't go wrong with an rmk

[QUOTE=Erik in AK;48341]
    I've got a 03 RMK 700 w/ 151 track and I love it. A friend cautioned me away from the 800's as they had crankshaft bearing issues in 02 and 03.

Erik,
    I dont think its fair to throw out such a broad assumtion about that year 800. I know alot of guys riding them including myself who would disagree with your friend.

The only issue with the 800 bearings is that people do not perform reccomended clutch maintenance. After about 1000 miles as with any machine
    you need to clean and lubricate(w/graphite) the moving parts, and make sure all the weights are properly balanced. I dont know of anything that starts to wobble and wont wear out a bearing at those kind of RPM's.

My brother has the 700 and its all modded out to make the same HP as my 800 even with all the time & $$$ the 700 has way less tork. I much prefer the 800.

Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by northriver21; 12-16-2006 at 16:36. Reason: messed up on quote

I never saw an 800 with a bearing problem. I've seen a few with broken cranks. I never saw that on a 700. True story.

The Alaska lowlands are crawling with long-tracked mountain machines. Most guys would be better off with short tracks. Women even more so.

The best riders I know ride 600s. They ride them right past the 800s that are turning around to find gas.

Northriver,
    I wasn't badmouthing the 800's just passing on what I thought was public info. Mr Pid is right it wasn't the bearing it was the crankshaft. I believe Poo put out a recall or free replacement or something to that effect. I know two guys who's sleds had this issue--both 03s one was a snowcheck Vert Escape

Erik,

I didnt think you were badmouthing the 800. I was simply giving my 2 cents and that about all its worth.

Iv'e seen so many of these discussions go sour that you kind of have to tippy toe around these kind of topics.

Bottom line for me is "ride what you like, and like what you ride", for me its the 800.

Everyone has their own opinion about what the best sled to ride is, and I'm sure theres a little truth in all of it.

Now if we could just get some D@! snow we would all be out riding and not sitting around sqwaking on the board.

Happy trails.

theres no lack of snow at turnagain, been up there 2days in a row now and loving it. In the 4hrs i was there it dropped another 4inches on top of the 40inches already there and weather said 1 1/2ft was suppose to fall today and tonight .

THanks for all the info. Decided im gonna upgrade to a 600 and get my g.f more of a trail friendly sled.

Today i started having problems with the rear suspension, all of a sudden it started bottoming out. the **** sled has 80miles on it and 65 of them were smooth trails. Any input on this?

I allow about 500 miles on a new sled to get the suspension dialed in. Take the tool kit out of the bag and start twisting the settings to the stiffer side. Your owner's manual will explain the process. Expect to do so again with every sled you buy.