Thread: Leupold Vari X vs VX

Default Leupold Vari X vs VX

Would someone explain to me the difference in the two scopes? Probably the only one on the planet that doesn't know.

They're the same thing. VX is just an abbreviation of Vari-X.

They are not the same. Vari-X is the older version Leupold scopes that were made for many years, VX is their newer versions, the VX have multi-coat 4 lenses and click style windage and elevation adjustments instead of friction dial. Basically the Vari-X series were no longer made after 2002-2003 ish and were replaced by the VX series.

Here's the deal. As AlaskaCub said, the Vari-X is the older version. Leupold's line was upgraded for 2004. There current VX1 is comparable to the old Vari-XII, and the current VXII is comparable to the Vari-XIII. Currently, the VXIII has been upgraded to their "Index Matched Lense System" which is touted to gather up to 98% of available light. It also has finger adjustable click turrets. The VXII has the Multi-Coat4 (fully multicoated) treatment, like the old Vari-XIII, and gathers about 88-90% of available light. It has a coin slot with click adjustments. The VXI is "muticoated" (meaning at least one lense is coated more than once) and I don't know the light transmission specs. The Rifleman scope is "fully coated" meaning they have coated all lense surfaces. Neither the VXI nor the Rifleman have click adjustments.

About 3% light transmission would lost per lense if they were not coated. Multiple coatings and the quality of those coatings have a great effect on the brightness of a scope. Don't use your coat sleeve to wipe off your lenses!

Basically, the Leupolds of lesser quality than the VXIII aren't the brightest scopes in the woods, but they are light, durable, have long eye relief, and have Leupold's excellent warranty and awesome customer service. There are other scopes that offer greater brightness and clarity for less money. In particular, Nikon and Burris come to mind. Be sure to avoid some of Burris' Fullfield II models which are made in the Philippines. They are bright, (95% of available light) clear, and have excellent resolution, but they have random durability problems. I think quality control has suffered in these models. Their USA-made models are fantastic.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    There are other scopes that offer greater brightness and clarity for less money. In particular, Nikon and Burris come to mind. Be sure to avoid some of Burris' Fullfield II models which are made in the Philippines. They are bright, (95% of available light) clear, and have excellent resolution, but they have random durability problems. I think quality control has suffered in these models. Their USA-made models are fantastic.
    akav8r- I too am looking at scope options other than Leupold that are in the same price range as the VX-II with comparable or better specs. Which Nikon and Burris models do you like? -JR

I like the USA Fullfield II and Sightron S2 scopes in the general price range of the VX2. Take a look at 'em and see what you think. I've heard good things about Nikon and Pentax, too, but have no personal experience with 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    akav8r- I too am looking at scope options other than Leupold that are in the same price range as the VX-II with comparable or better specs. Which Nikon and Burris models do you like? -JR
    The Nikon Monarch will cost you about 20 or 30 bucks more than a VX-II but it also transmits about 8% more of available light. Burris' USA-made Fullfield II are nice, but you'll be hard pressed to find one in the 3-9x40 category that says "USA" on it. Their Signature scopes are very nice and the 3-10x40 will usually be a bit more than the Nikon Monarch, but I'd definitely recommend the Signature Series Burris over the Nikon. I did a quick check on Ebay and saw this one NIB for $325. http://cgi.ebay.com/Burris-Signature...QQcmdZViewItem
    Good luck!