Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Quartz Lake

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    123

    Default Quartz Lake

    Looks like I might be heading to Quartz this Saturday with a group of friends. I have never fished it before and was looking for advice. Such as how deep to fish and what lures or bait to use.

    Plus if anyone is going out there and you see a group of guys on snowmachines with a red Quickfish 3 come by and say hi.

    Thanks
    Carl

  2. #2
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Straight out from the boat launch always worked well when I went. I've also tried towards the middle, straight out from the point in the middle. You don't need to fish to deep, now is the best time to go, IMHO. Cocktail shrimp works good for the bows, jig some spoons for the Char that are in there. Good Luck!

    Here is a couple of photos of fish caught there:

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...4e1954b5b9e4b5

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...9a833cccc778fd

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...70adcd37004f48

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  3. #3
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I concur with Chris...shrimp will slay the 'bows out there (Safeway shrimp in the blue Styrofoam package) I usually fish right off the boat launch...I think it's about 8 or 9 feet there. Good times!

  4. #4
    Member Rising_Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Straight out from the boat launch always worked well when I went. I've also tried towards the middle, straight out from the point in the middle. You don't need to fish to deep, now is the best time to go, IMHO. Cocktail shrimp works good for the bows, jig some spoons for the Char that are in there. Good Luck!

    Here is a couple of photos of fish caught there:

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...4e1954b5b9e4b5

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...9a833cccc778fd

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_pic...70adcd37004f48

    Fish On!
    Great pics!! That second bow is awesome. Is 6 lb line too little for this lake?

  5. #5

    Default

    bc, are you curing your shrimp? Have had issues with them cocktail shrimp coming off waaaay to dang easy!

  6. #6
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    RisingCreek, No 6 lb test should work fine, just don't horse em in...

    Tradbow, no we use them straight from your grocers freezer...we use bigger shrimp to keep the little guys from swallowing the goods...I cannot remember the size of hook we are using, but we do not have any issues with the bait coming off...use the shrimp thats in this video...

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...877e1894a1faa0

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  7. #7

    Default

    roger that! Thanks. I've used the smaller stuff and what a PITA it is LOL! Man you two are hillarious Keep your eye out for a black tacoma this winter...I have a green otter lodge pop up. Gonna try and get out this weekend. Need to sharpn the drill yet (and make sure it runs haha).

  8. #8
    Member whitewolf2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Funny video! Like the combination of Kiss makeup and Iron Maiden music

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    RisingCreek, No 6 lb test should work fine, just don't horse em in...

    Tradbow, no we use them straight from your grocers freezer...we use bigger shrimp to keep the little guys from swallowing the goods...I cannot remember the size of hook we are using, but we do not have any issues with the bait coming off...use the shrimp thats in this video...

    http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...877e1894a1faa0

    Fish On!

  9. #9
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Thumbs up Shrimp as bait

    My favorite bait is raw shrimp. I buy a pound or so when it is on sale cut it up into the size pieces I want to use. I put 2-3 cut up shrimp in those reusable little plastic containers. Every fisherman gets his own little container of bait.
    Raw shrimp stays on waaay better than those wimpy little cocktail ones.
    Cutting it up at home saves bait because when I try to tear or cut it on the lake I always end up with pieces that are too big.
    have caught quite a few 20" plus rainbows on some pretty small pieces of shrimp. And have even caught 3 or more fish on the same pioece of bait. Usually though you need to rebait after every fish.
    If you ever see some freshwater shrimp you can see why small chunks are the way to go. You could fit several of those little buggers on a dime and thats what you are really trying to imitate.
    The closest shrimp imitation jig you can buy is the shrimpo from custom jigs and spins. Get the smallest size in pink or orange. Orange most closley resembles real freshwater shrimp. You can buy these at Sportsmans warehouse I believe.Fish this by pounding it like they do in the midwest for panfish.
    The Poppee from the same company has also been real good for me on Trout and Kokanees this year. jig it up kinda fast and let it free fall real slow then pause every 2-3 lifts.
    My favorite new jig this year is the Atomic Teaser by Berkley powerbait. White with a yellow teaser. Fish it with short little hops and short pauses every 3-4 hops.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  10. #10

    Default

    man KC...you just spawned an idea! I have a sweet fly imitation of a freshwater shrimp, and know I know exactly how to fish it under the ice!

    Thank you sir for making the motors turn just a weeeeeee bit

  11. #11
    Member lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default augers

    I am going to set up an ice shack at Quarts this week. I am going to get a auger monday,is a 6" hand auger to small for Quarts?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default auger

    any hand auger is to small for ice fishing with over 10 inches of ice

  13. #13
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    I am going to set up an ice shack at Quarts this week. I am going to get a auger monday,is a 6" hand auger to small for Quarts?
    You will still be able to get fish up through a 6" hole, but you will be working pretty hard to drill them. Quartz Ice gets pretty thick...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  14. #14

    Default

    Couldn't help to laugh during video. Looks like you guise had a good time. Good times!

  15. #15
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quartz Lake is a great palce to fish and a legit chance at a sweet fish any day....Now that my NFL team is out, another reason to go out there.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  16. #16
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Quartz Lake is a great palce to fish and a legit chance at a sweet fish any day....Now that my NFL team is out, another reason to go out there.

    Oooh....Envious!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  17. #17
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Oooh....Envious!
    I got another hint on where we should go......I will see you in January.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  18. #18
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    TSS, my sliver of hope is still alive with my Cowboys...I'm sure they will give me several opportunities in Jan. to fish also however. Bittersweet but I'll take it!

    Sapper in the Skies

  19. #19
    Member lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default chumming and flashers

    Does any one ever use flashers above there hooks or chum the bottom under there hole to attract fish? Also is 18 or 19 feet deep out in front of the point a good depth at Quarts?

  20. #20
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I got another hint on where we should go......I will see you in January.
    Sounds good to me, wish I could make it up this weekend to fish, especially after seeing that hog on the other forum...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    TSS, my sliver of hope is still alive with my Cowboys...I'm sure they will give me several opportunities in Jan. to fish also however. Bittersweet but I'll take it!

    Sapper in the Skies
    Cowboys... My eagles have 'em by the throat..

    Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Does any one ever use flashers above there hooks or chum the bottom under there hole to attract fish? Also is 18 or 19 feet deep out in front of the point a good depth at Quarts?
    19 feet sounds kinda deep, usually we have gone pretty shallow. I've seen TSS catch a hog in 2 feet of water. We have tried out from the point, but kinda on the other side of the deep area and more towards the middle.

    Fish ON!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •