Thread: Looking for a nice Ram Skull with no horns

Default Looking for a nice Ram Skull with no horns

Hi Guys
    I found a old set of ram horns and would like to do something with them. Looking to buy a skull to do a skull mount. So if you have found one over the years or shot one and want to part with, just the skull No horns, let me know.
    Or where I could get one.
    Thanks for your help.

Default Skull Legal?

You may want to check in the AK regs to make sure it is legal to buy a skull from an Alaska dall ram? I am pretty sure it is illegal to buy/sell skulls in AK? If someone wants to give one to you I imagine that is ok?

Here is what I did with a set that I had. I ordered a Dall Sheep skull with horns from a game ranch in Texas on ebay. I removed the horns and replaced them with the set I bought. Here is the result.

Good Luck Steve

Default Reproduction skull

One other idea would be to have a taxidermist make a reproduction skull. You can buy antelope, deer, elk, and caribou reproduction skulls from a number of taxidermy supply stores but I'm not aware of any sheep skulls?

The last post reminded me that I saw Dave at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez, AK. casting sheep skulls. They looked quite real. Not sure if he is still doing them, don't hurt to ask.
    Give him a call. He also does great bear rugs, some of the best felt work I have seen.
    http://www.manta.com/company/mm0j7gw

Steve

Default Sheep skulls...

Over the years I have found several ram skulls that were without the horns. But without the hornes I never toted the ram skulls home.

So far you have asked the forum if anybody has a "pickup skull" that they would be willing to part with. Next, if your in Alaska, you might ask several taxidermist if they have a ram skull they could provide.

My only other suggestion would be, again if your in AK, to devote your spring conditioning time towards locating a winterkill. Searching for sheep horns is great fun, great conditioning, and you will probably find other "targets of opportunity" like black or grizzly bears.

For both bears and winterkill sheep I would try to locate south facing slopes, of course, in sheep country.

If your in AK, send me a PM. Depending on your location, I might have some suggestions. If your not in AK, I got nuttin.

Dennis

Dennis

I thought they didnt use the skulls in a sheep mount. I was told they break the horns off the pedestals and just use them on the form.

Default Ram skull usage...

Rimfiremat,

When mounting rams, the horn cores are left on the top portion of the skull. I have often recommended that we, as hunters and guides, hang-out with your favorite taxidermist to learn proper skinning and caping procedures. So while volunteering some time to my favorite taxidermist I have observed a bunch of ram being mounted, including my best five rams. The horn cores have always been left attached to the top portion of the skull, which is then attached to the sheep form.

...one other note concerning the winterkill pickups I have found....the back part of sheep skulls is often missing. I believe bears like to eat whats inside, and the best access is to crunch through the back of the brain cavity. In other words, some pickup skulls may not be usable for a european type mount.

Default FYI

I just replied to this down in Meat & Trophy. Have a look. I hope it helps someone.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083