Thread: Shredding meat

Default Shredding meat

Well I have beaten a pretty good swath through Google with no definitive answer so I thought I would ask here. Has anyone found a good way to shred meat? My wife makes hands down the best enchiladas but they are a rare treat because of the time it takes to make them, about 2 days total for cooking and processing! One of the biggest parts of the process is carefully hand shredding all of the meat. I watch her work on this and keep thinking that there has to be an easier way!

We have a kitchenaid but I am not opposed to buying some other device that will actually shred, not grind the meat. In one of the various things I read on this topic a guy mentions using a paddle attachment on the stand mixer to shred beef but didn't go into detail on it. I see there is a shredder attachment for the kitchenaid but I am not sure if it is more targeted at veggies and cheeses?

The results we are looking for are similar to this video, only my wife does HUGE amounts!

I apologize for the commercial at the beginning of the video! It is just the best one I could find to demo what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    One of the biggest parts of the process is carefully hand shredding all of the meat. I watch her work on this and keep thinking that there has to be an easier way!

I know of a easier way...Put them boys to work and make them do the shredding. I can just see the middle one now.....

Default hand mixer

We just use an electric hand mixer. Sometimes if the meat has a little too much liquid in it it can get a little mushy.

Sounds like you need some ninja technology....

Post bbq bear paws...i pull pork butts w/them 8 to 40 a month...

WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I'm not sure how this might affect the process, but I would think if you pressure cooked the meat first, it would shred real easy with fork. I canned a bunch of elk last year and that stuff will just fall apart. It makes a pretty good shredded bbq sandwich. You might be able to pressure cook it, then season it for your purposes. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow night and see how it works out. Of course if you don't have a pressure cooker this is pretty worthless advice.

Default shreding meat

get yourself a good strong fork, lay the meat on a cutting board, hold one end and shred away, thats how we do it on deer , pork and chicken

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    I'm not sure how this might affect the process, but I would think if you pressure cooked the meat first, it would shred real easy with fork. I canned a bunch of elk last year and that stuff will just fall apart. It makes a pretty good shredded bbq sandwich. You might be able to pressure cook it, then season it for your purposes. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow night and see how it works out. Of course if you don't have a pressure cooker this is pretty worthless advice.

i did a buch of moose this year.. and makes great cold cut sandwiches that shred extremely easy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    We always pressure cook some deer meat, and I've never shredded meat, but I'm sure that what comes out of the pressure cooker is exactly what you're looking for. It is wonderful! I'll throw a bunch of deer shoulders in the canner (or pressure cooker) bones and all, and then when the meat cools, I'll wrap it and freeze it. Then you just have to pull out a package when you want to make enchiladas. It also makes good sandwiches, tacos and stew.