Thread: anyone seen these..no pic's..passed them on way out..

Question anyone seen these..no pic's..passed them on way out..

BIG HUNTING RIGS ..6 wheel / LARGE alum cabs look home built.. 2 of them came in from cantwell side of denila hwy, headed east the last/mid august...i'd like to know what i seen.....they got to be from south of the range...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I know a couple guys that built two big aluminum bodied hunting buggies like you described. They both live in Chugiak and they hunt together. That might have been what you saw. I'd have to ask them if it was them.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Like this?

Did they look similar to the one in the photo? If so, I could go one for hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    Did they look similar to the one in the photo? If so, I could go one for hours.
    talkeetnakid,

Is that your rig? If so I would like to talk to you about it.

Default Northriver

Check your PM's.

Thumbs up they look kind of like the picin #3

and the de-scrip in 2#...aluminm look...we need some pic's of your buddys rides...cool!

Default 1st one

The 2 aluminum ones you refer to belong to my dad and his neighbor. They were both derived from the one I posted the pic of. My dad and his buddy, (builder of the brown one) came up with these over the campfire in the mid 80's. They were running Coots and Suzuki 4WD Quads at the time and thought there must be a better way. As they were both mechanics, the end result worked out pretty good. I was planning on building one myself a couple years ago, when my dads buddy decided he was done. Was able to get his for far cheaper than what I could build one for. Although they may look "big", they only weigh about 2500 pounds. They can haul a lot more than any production side by side and will do it more comfortably. Last season I hauled out 2 moose and my gear for 10 days. (And I pack for a certain level of comfort). Next season will be 20 years for the brown one and 19 for my pops. Not too bad for something that was built in a garage almost 20 years ago.

Thumbs up cool!!!!

whats the base/platform they built them from? built rite from scratch? 6 wheel drive /shaft.... neat stuff!

Default Build

Frame is 2x4x1/8 inch welded steel. Drive train is a VW Rabbit motor and transaxle, transaxle is locked and the motor is turned 90 degrees from how it would sit in the car to drive front and rear axles. Running gear is military jeep front ends. The steering has been locked on the 2 axles in the rear. Thats the basics.

Default 6 wheeled toyota

I have a project here that looks close to your's but it's pretty much all toyota,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ