Thread: Self Guided Fishing Trip in SE. Need some Help.

Default Self Guided Fishing Trip in SE. Need some Help.

I am trying to plan a family fishing trip next summer and am seeking recommendations for places to stay / rent boats. Someone on iFish suggested I post here.

I would like to do a 5 or 6 day self guided trip. There will be six of us and I would like to rent two boats. I would prefer the boats have a top, my dad and uncles are older and need to get out of the rain or sun.

The catch that is making it difficult to find a place is I would like to go somewhere a little off the beaten path. Anyone have any suggestions they care to share?

Thanks.

Not sure about the boat but for a self guided trip in SE I would recommend Prince of Wales Island. I know the Boardwalk Lodge has some self guided programs.

Default Try Petersburg

There are a couple of outfits down in Petersburg that have lodges and provide their clients with the choice of going out on regular charter boats or on skiffs to take out fishing themselves. The operations are down Wrangell Narrows - just a tad south of town. I seem to recall a few posts on here where the lodges were named and the people posting seemed to have had a great time.

I'm sure others will get on here and give you the specifics. Good luck!

What do you want to catch? Salmon, Steelhead? River or Ocean? Yakutat is a great place for a do it yourself trip. PM me for more details, we have a lodge and can get it going for you. Awesome fishing off the beaten path. Let me know what you want and I can help.

Default Coffman Cove

You can check out Coffman Cove Adventures located on Prince of Wales. They do self-guided fishing trips. They include lodging, boat and a vehicle to use if the weather is nasty and you would rather do some river fishing.

Here is their website. http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

A buddy and I do the same..."Self-Guide." However we frequent Ketchikan.
    We rent a 22' Hewescraft from Knudson Cove Marina http://www.knudsoncovemarina.com/index.htm

We have done well w/ Halibut, Salmon, and rock fish. And it's not hard to be off the "beaten path."

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Smile Recommendation for SE Alaska

First of all I am not a guide nor do I rent cabins or boats. That being said I would recommend Coffman Cove on Prince of Wales Island. The natives are the friendliest and most honest people you will meet anywhere.

I fished out of Ketchikan for three years before I purchased a lot and built a cabin in Coffman Cove. Coffman Cove is certainly off the beaten path plus in my experience there is less wind and more fishable days than Ketchikan. I spent the entire summer there in 2009 and only had three days I could not fish because of the wind. The best salmon fishing within 30 miles is within a couple miles of the cove. Halibut fishing is very good.

If you want a place with meals and a nicer boat I would recommend Coffman Cove Adventures.

If fishing out of a skiff works for you (it works for a lot of people in Coffman Cove) I would recommend Kingfisher Charters. 907-329-2235.They have two nice cabins plus several skiffs for rent. You would do your own cooking

Good luck

How is the king fishing out of Coffman Cove in May/June? I've never fished out of there, but I'm tempted to pull my skiff up there now that the road is done and fish some new water!

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Smile King Fishing at Coffman Cove

Most of the kings we catch out of Coffman Cove are feeder kings. Three years ago Coffman Cove started rearing fingerling kings and I am told some will start showing up in 2010 but they will barely be legal (28 inches) In 2011 we should have some real kings. If you like to fish for salmon my advice would be to come in July when we have a good run of silvers plus the feeder kings. In May and June you can catch kings 30 to 35 pounds but it is pretty slow fishing. Also the halibut fishing does not start getting good until June.

Default Nordic tug charters

I do not know how comforatable you are on the water, but if you want adventure and want to get off the beaten path rent a tug out of Juneau. This will take care of accomodation and a boat at the same time.
    I would stress that you should be comfortable on the ocean and handling boats.
    I have ran into these boats from time to time and the people renting them seem to be enjoying themselves.
    www.nordictugcharters.com

Good luck with your trip

Chuck

Default Coffman Cove Adventures

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Coffman Cove Adventures for a semi-remote, self-guided trip. Nice cabins, nice boats and great food. It's hard to beat coming home to a hot meal after a long day out in the weather.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I do not know how comforatable you are on the water, but if you want adventure and want to get off the beaten path rent a tug out of Juneau. This will take care of accomodation and a boat at the same time.
    I would stress that you should be comfortable on the ocean and handling boats.
    I have ran into these boats from time to time and the people renting them seem to be enjoying themselves.
    www.nordictugcharters.com
    +1 on the Nordic Tug rental idea.

Holkham Bay for halibut and AWESOME sight seeing. You can go up Tracy or Speel Arms. Wood Spit or Sanford Cove for anchorage in this area.

Point Hugh for Salmon, halibut, rockfish, etc. Fishing can be awesome starting at the end of June. Need a calm day as this place is exposed. July & Aug are best. Mole Harbor or Gambier Bay for an anchorage.

coffman cove rocks! I too have a place up there, and can't get enough of it.
    great fishing, great people!

I have heard nothing but great things about Coffman Cove Adventures. Plan on taking the wife there sometime just to do something different and see a new area of the state. To the OP, I have a long winded email from the lodge I will send to you if you want to PM me your email address.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.