Thread: Best dies for 30-30??

Default Best dies for 30-30??

So far I've only loaded for the 30-06 and 270 using RCBS dies and I didn't put a crimp. I am now looking to get into loading for lever action 30-30 and .35 Rem. and from my understanding these rounds need to be crimped. I have been happy using the RCBS dies but are they good for crimped rounds too? Would I be better off with a different brand? These are both rifles that are used for short range deer hunting so I don't want to get too fancy with competition dies or anything like that.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    So far I've only loaded for the 30-06 and 270 using RCBS dies and I didn't put a crimp. I am now looking to get into loading for lever action 30-30 and .35 Rem. and from my understanding these rounds need to be crimped. I have been happy using the RCBS dies but are they good for crimped rounds too? Would I be better off with a different brand? These are both rifles that are used for short range deer hunting so I don't want to get too fancy with competition dies or anything like that.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Untold numbers of deer have been killed with 30/30 ammo loaded on RCBS dies and they will work fine. Case OAL is more critical when you start crimping so make certain to keep a close check on your cases and keep them uniform.

As a rule I do not crimp my ammo, but for lever guns or hard recoiling rifles I have found I prefer a Lee Factory Crimp Die. A die for your 30/30 should cost in the neighborhood of $10-15 and is a better means to establish a crimp IME.

Default same for me

The Lee factory crimp die is excellent.

In general I prefer redding dies to RCBS, about the same price and IMHO better dies.

The Lee factory crimp die is the way to go if you're going to crimp rifle ammo.

Do I lose much in performance if I just use the Lee 3 die set instead of adding the Lee factory crimp to a Redding or RCBS set? I can get the Lee 3 die set for about $30 while the other options will cost about $50 for all three.

Thanks,
    Mike

Redding or Forster with the inline seater.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've used both the RCBS and LEE dies in the .30-30's of mine....I do always use the Lee crimp die, works rather well. I crimp for both the 180 Montana Bullet Works FNGC and the Nosler 170 partitions.

I am not a very big fan of Lee equipment for the most part but they do make very good dies for the money. I would just buy the Lee die set with the factory crimp die and start loading.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I load and crimp 30-30 with RCBS and Lyman dies. No complaints with either. I doubt there would be very much difference in the functionality of any of the major brands. I've never used a specialty crimping die for anything so I can't comment on whether this added step is of any benefit.

Dan

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like AD, I reccommend the Lee Pacesetter die set for 30-30 because it includes the Factory Crimp Die.

Lee Equipment is very innovative, and the price is usually about right.

I don't like all of it, but maybe that's because I haven't tried the stuff I don't like.

What I have, I like.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post

Thanks,
    Mike
    I load the 35rem using hornady dies and back the FL die off .015" to .030" using a washer to keep it square. I do always check to see that the partial sized case fits into the chamber of my 336D before continuing. Then crimp with a LEE factory crimp die and love it.

H4895 is the go to powder for both the 200gr and 220gr bullets. 2200fps is easy to get with the 200 grainers. (In a 336 760 7600 that can handle it). And is still 10% less than the 30-30's pressure levels. If you load the 35rem look no further than H4895for the 200/220gr bullets and H322 for the 180gr speer.

My gun likes 2140-2160fps best so I load to that. 39.5grs= 2140, 40.0=2180, & 40.5grs=2200 with the rem 200gr CLRN which is the best 200gr bullet in the rem hands down. I do get veriation of say 20-30fps with different lots of powder/primers/brass/ bullets so I have been working with either 39.5-40.0grs for safty and in my case accuacy too.

I have replced the lee losk nut with hornady's locking rings on both the FC dies and my 22 hornet collet die, FC die, and Seater die.