Thread: 22 LR OK for Fox?

Question 22 LR OK for Fox?

I am considering to start fox hunting but I am limited on firearms. I have the old trusty 30-06, which seems to bit of an overkill and then I have a 22 LR. I have killed ground hogs bag in Western PA at 100 yards with it so would it work for foxes?

Fox hunting is new for me so any other tips that would help me bag one or two here on the Kodiak road system would be appreciated. I have a mouse squealer (squeeze ball type) for now but I here a lot of folk here use the electronic "fox pro" so I might invest in one of those too.

Thanks,

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Flyfisher for the yardage you mentioned, 100 yards and less, the 2LR is a clean killer on fox. They are small bodied and lightly skinned and muscled. The 22 LR has no problem killing them.

Ralph

you should have no problem kill'n foxes at a max range of 100yrds might i suggest trying the CCI Raptors in your gun i saw a balistics study on them & had aprox 12"-14" of penetration into balistic gellatin at i believe 25yrds thats awsome performance for a .22LR

I've used the CCI Velocitors with good effect. I wish I'd had mine on my last fox.

Excellent ammo for .22LR.

I passed on a couple of foxes when I had my .22LR out looking for grouse. I just assumed it didn't have the stopping power to put them down quickly although I wasn't using any special rounds, just hollow points.

I have killed many fox with nothing more than a 22LR at the ranges you are talking and a well placed shot it will do the job
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default 22lr

Never under estimate the power of that little guy. In Texas and Kansas...that is all we hunted with for coyotes...one shot one kill. Either lung em or hit em that little shoulder...if he is close enough, and you are good enough...make a third eye.

Try different loads and get her sighted in....you will have fun.

Thanks all who responded, I went from unsure about using it to excited about hunting with it.
    Looked at those foxpro calls but a little deer for me at this time so I will try my luck with some old fashioned calls.

Check out the "homemade electronic call" topics in this forum. You can make your own for well under $100.00 and they work sound very good.

I've killed fox, lynx, and even a coyote inside of 100 yards with a .22. Go for it!
    PC gag in place.