Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard water burbot fishn

Default hard water burbot fishn

Curious what you are doing, how you are doing and where? Heard nennana is a good place. Have also heard closer to fairbanks is pretty good. Not real up on the how to or what to look for part though. I'm not into set lines really. I have all the gear I (we'd) need. Just looking for info, not anyone secrets, though I'll gladly take them if you so indulge !

Thanks
    Dan
    dawn-dan@gci.net

someone has to be icefishing burbot???

find sandy or mud bottom water and use stinky stuff
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Don't use the stinky stuff!.......Burbot aren't Catfish. Fresh cut bait (Herring/Whitefish) is the best bait to use for Burbot.

Default Keep it fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Don't use the stinky stuff!.......Burbot aren't Catfish. Fresh cut bait (Herring/Whitefish) is the best bait to use for Burbot.
    Burbot are voracious predators. They don't call them freshwater ling for nothing! I used to catch them incidentally in the Dillingham area while I was jigging for pike. That was just with an unbaited Daredevil spoon. I once took a teacher couple pike fishing who were straight from the lower 48. The woman pulled in a nice burbot but dropped the pole when the head came through the ice hole, and backed away quickly screaming something about a snake!

The Yupik around southwest Alaska prize these fish not only for their meat, but for their livers which are really rich and full of vitamins. Can you say "codliver oil"? :-)

Tradbow,get you some tip-ups,7/0 hooks,5-7" hearing(walmart),some heavy duty swivels and some of that braided 40-50# test line.Sending you a pm on a location.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Herring and whitefish are stinky for sure I bet hooligan would work too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up burbot are really tasty

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    hello i fish for burbot all year long,and i have caught really nice ones too,i use white fish for bait and heres a secret ,if u can smell what ever kind of meat ,fish ,herring you can smell the fish are going to smell it to.i have trid all kinds of things and whitefish is the best so far..they dont callme the burbot master fo nothing ....

Quote Originally Posted by burbotmaster View Post
    i use white fish for bait and ....
    Ok, but how would a guy get whitefish? They seem harder to find than Burbot
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Where ya locate wildog? We can buy it here locally at one of the fish processing plants. They also had some eels to boot though they were a bit freezer burnt.

Talking whtie fish are easy to get

white fish are easy to get ,you catch them in a gill net in the rivers or ponds that are near the rivers ,i catch them in a net and freeze them for the winter fishing..the burbotmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Ok, but how would a guy get whitefish? They seem harder to find than Burbot

Talking white fish

the burbotmasterwhere i live white fish and burbot are swim together and there easy to get , i catchthe white fish with anet and then turn around and cut them in chunks and fish for burbot right there and then and bang i burbot onthe line ,skin them and fillet them make a fire and burbot on a stick of course you will need to have some beer with you ,its just a habit to bring .
    white fish are easy to get ,you catch them in a gill net in the rivers or ponds that are near the rivers ,i catch them in a net and freeze them for the winter fishing..the burbotmaster

where are you from burbotmasta?

Default Tanana Bourbot

Look for a slow spot, or a hole, right where two channels come together. I use a spruce pole with 550 cord and weighted steel leaders spaced 24 inches apart at the bottom. I prefer the mud eels from the banks of the Chena, but end up using cut-up herring, or the livers/hearts/lungs of caught bourbot. It all works well. Even chicken livers work in a pinch. Put your pole down slowly and work it to spread out the line, then pile over the hole with snow. You'll have to spud some ice back out, but it won't be hard, unless it gets down to -35/-40. They're some of the slimiest fish, but taste awesome! If you dress them at your hole, let them get a little frozen, but not all the way and you can peel the skin off fairly easily.

Default anchorage

Where ya locate wildog? We can buy it here locally at one of the fish processing plants. They also had some eels to boot though they were a bit freezer burnt.
    I live in Anchorage
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

well if you want some let me know, I have a buddy headed down that way here in a week so for work. I'm sure he'll gladly take them down for ya though he really doenst like fishing at all lol.

Let me know.

Dan
    dawn-dan@gci.net

Default burbot trick..

here's one for you all. next time you enjoy nice juicy steak, save the fat or scraps. hook it up well, and you might just catch the biggest, tastiest burbot you ever had! Also works well for big lakers!

with burbot on the bottom, for the lakers just under the ice. give it a try!

Talking burbot are really tasty

hello i catch burbot all year long and they are very tasty fish and you can catch them pretty much in any water ,like chena river,nenana river ,chisana ,nebesna river any rivers or lakes that are stock with burbot like lake louise and others...right now is a good time to catch them thru the ice and specially with kids if you have any,take your kids out hunting and fishing so you dont have to fish and hunt for them...burbotmaster
    Last edited by burbotmaster; 01-17-2007 at 04:23. Reason: spelling

Talking hello to all from alaska

where are you from burbotmasta?
    the burbotmaster paor alaska...i have caught the biggest burbot in ak ,i caught a 19#s,25#s,30#s,36#s burbot just recently and broke the state record ...talking about big fish they average between 36"inches and 56inches long ,the heads are between 10inches wide to 15iches wide thats one big head and very tasting and good fishing ..good luck to all..the burbotmaster

the burbotmaster paor alaska...i have caught the biggest burbot in ak ,i caught a 19#s,25#s,30#s,36#s burbot just recently and broke the state record ...talking about big fish they average between 36"inches and 56inches long ,the heads are between 10inches wide to 15iches wide thats one big head and very tasting and good fishing ..good luck to all..the burbotmaster
    lets see some pics cause i dont belive unless i see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast