Thread: rifle for predator hunting

Default rifle for predator hunting

just wondering what everyone thinks about the 17hmr for a predator rifle. im thinking its plenty good for fox and linx and good for coyote to about 150 yards. just wanting to know what others thoughts are about it or am i way off?

I'm hoping its a good caliber, I just picked one up, a Savage 93r17 for $129 on black friday. Can't wait to shoot this badboy. I heard it works ok on anything from coyotes down, as long as you do your part correctly. I'm going to try it on coyotes down in Washington. I just picked up some CCI 20 grn. FMJ, seems those would work great. I dont know about 150 yds on a coyote though, i'll try keep it under a 100 and maybe a head shot. hopefully others will have better information, I am interested as well.

If I had the choice I would choose between the .222; .223 or the largest .243. If you good adn head shots are your thing, these open your field to small buck, even larger ones too.

But i never known about the 17hmr till today, so I am still jealous. Be great on baboons.

Quote Originally Posted by steyn View Post

Be great on baboons.

What?? Am I missing something...

different continent maybe? here they are vermin when it comes to crops and town houses.

i think they will work for coyotes if the opportunity arises but wouldnt rely on it for my main predator rifle, ive used it on squirrels & it makes a mess even on headshots but this rifle is awsome for nockn off prairie dogs & crows, i would suggest stickn with something along the lines of a .204,.17centerfire as a minimum for coyotes, yeah it will kill them & there is a lot of people that have smoked coyotes w/the .17hmr but to me it just seems a little on the light side, you read alot of statements saying ( If i keep my shots under 150 yrds or i just keep it to headshots it will work fine for coyotes) but why limit you chances of taking a predator out just because he heldup at 200yrds or beyond the lethal killing range of the little .17hmr, if i'm gonna take the time & effort to call in a coyote then i'm gonna make sure im not gonna just educate & make him callshy & do my best to kill it cleanly & efficiently by using something bigger like my H.S. Precision 22.250.

Post i use a 22-250 w/fmj

u have to reload your own..to get good kills on the bigger dog'es it has a muzzle brake and the flash at nite will blind u for 10 mins.. which is why i got a .17..at nite things are happ'in a little closer
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default the 17 HMR

I'm one of thoe guys who thinks hunting should not be like shooting fish in a barrel.Or kill every thing that moves, or trophies.
    In my mind, hunting needs a very good reason, and not just to take out ones frustrations, but in either peotection, or food , or the imbalance of a potentially dangerous population. But some of us are not that good at being stealthy for what ever reason , you might say the nervious type .
    My 17hmr is for hunting small game for food , like rabbits.If I am not absolutely sure of the shot ,I won't take it. head shots only. I am impressed with trajectory, being so flat there is very little sight adjustment. It's not much louder than a .22 and there is no real kick to it ,so it is easier to keep your eye on the target.
    Some one came out with a semi auto, but it doesn't work, Remington has issued warnings. Bummer.
    I would hope with time better rounds will be available that won't fragment so badly , but I am very happy with what I got . I am very confident that it would take thing 200 lbs and down, but as with any shot , it has to be perfectly placed. one has to admit even a 308 in the wrong place does more damage than good. Part of the reason I hunt is the time spent in the wild among the elements and nature, especially at it's worst.
    I always pack the 44 mag revolver, when ever I am out, just for because.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    just wondering what everyone thinks about the 17hmr for a predator rifle. im thinking its plenty good for fox and linx and good for coyote to about 150 yards. just wanting to know what others thoughts are about it or am i way off?
    I think the .17 is too small for lynx and coyote. It is also effected by wind much more than a .223 or .22/250. There is also a larger selection of effective .223 ammo.

The 22-250 will blow a big hole in fox/lynx size critters. I shot a fox in the head at about 125 yards and there was not much left of it with my 22-250. I also had a friend that lost a fox with a 17 hmr. I would use a 22 mag. A little heavier bullet and you can still get some range on it. For close range I use a 20 gauge with the smallest shot you can find.

I agree with you on the .22/250. I think most people either under or over do on calibers. I always hear or read about guys shooting foxes with a .243 or shooting coyotes with a .17. In my opinion, I believe that a .223, a .204, or my favorite the .220 will kill most small game and leave the hide in good shape.

I want a .17 remington, but can't seem to find one.

Doesn't Remington still make the Model 700 in .17 centerfire? Nice caliber, but can be tough to find ammo. Also, a 22-250 shooting hardballs will pass right through most critters with minimal damage on the exit. A 55g moving at 3900fps is pretty wind resistent also. I really like the 250 for all the preds in AK.

Default thanx

was just trying to get everyones idea on the caliber. i have killed lots of rabbits with it and spruce hen too, i know when you head shoot a rabbit at 80-100 yrds it wrecks damage. I can hit canalope at 350yrds just figured at 150- 200 a neck or chest shot would put a yote down.

Just curious - how much hold-over did you use to hit that canteloupe at 350 yards?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

i shoot a leupold rifleman on my 17 and its dead nuts on the bottom of the scope just line the center post up and aim for the top of mt. McKinnley lol its very reliable out of 20 shots hit 17 times. we were shooting ballons. at 400yds i couldnt even hit a ballon. at 200 im shooting quarter sized groups. the rifle is a marlin 17hmr. i wouldnt recommend buying a marlin because mine has been back to the factory 3 times cause it wouldnt shoot all the ammo it would only shoot hornady stuff. after the third time to the shop it shoots everything.

Default Remington

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Doesn't Remington still make the Model 700 in .17 centerfire? Nice caliber, but can be tough to find ammo. Also, a 22-250 shooting hardballs will pass right through most critters with minimal damage on the exit. A 55g moving at 3900fps is pretty wind resistent also. I really like the 250 for all the preds in AK.
    Oats, you are right. Remington does make the rifle in .17 Remington Fireball. There are at least 4 different varieties.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...F_II_specs.asp

This one looks like a nice one.

Yes, that's the exact model 22-250 I currently take calling. I'm thinking about the same gun in a .17 or a .204, as I've got a nice scope that needs a place to sit.

I have owned and shot the 17 Rem. centerfire quite a bit over the past years. It is a fun gun to shoot with almost no recoil. But on the other hand I would not recomend it as a gun to call or shoot predators with. This bullet is affected by anything except perfect shooting conditions. A drop of rain, blade of grass, or small twig will burst this bullet. Wind will also blow this light bullet off course very easy. I do not ever remember an exit on any animal over 8-10 lbs. in body weight. There will be very little blood to track an animal if tracking is needed. Where I call I do not get the priveledge of calling in the snow a lot, so finding a animal that has been shot with no blood trail is sometimes hard to do. I now use a 22 mag., 223, 243 win., 6mm rem., and if conditions call for it a 12 guage 870 3 1/2 inch super mag.