Thread: .358 wssm

Default .358 wssm

Does anyone know anything about a .358 wildcat based on the WSSM cartridge? That's right, the Super Short Mag. Come to find out my native Indiana is now allowing rifles for deer hunting in addition to the slug gun, but the cartridge has to be over .357 caliber and have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches. A buddy of mine has one of these .358 WSSMs based on a T/C Encore, but doesn't do his own loading for it. So I was wondering if anyone had any info on it. Best powders to try, velocities attainable, etc. I was thinking about having a Winchester M70 or perhaps a Browning A bolt rebarreled. I assume it would be a pretty straightforward conversion from a .25 WSSM. And I imagine it would stretch my viable range by at least 100 yards over the slug gun. Maybe then I could have connected on that monster buck I saw yesterday Very painful having him within rifle range while holding a slug gun

This thread has been going on another forum for a while.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=42358

Thanks, Evan.

I looked into doing a .358 WSSM project on either an AR-15 or a rebarreled Winchester SSM. In fact, I just abadoned the project and my brass and bullets are for sale in the for sale forum. Velocities attainable are slightly better than .358 Winchester with all bullets but the heaviest. This caliber really shines with the 200 grain bullets.

When I looked into doing the AR-15 I talked to Mike at Dedicated Technologies. He has a web site, but I don't have the address handy. He has a lot of information on loading for all of the WSSM wildcats.

I have a 6.5 WSSM and it prefers slower powders to get the best velocities.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."