Thread: Lake George

Default Lake George

Wondering if anyone has been into lake george this year yet?? We are thinking of making a run on Friday. I've never been there but my buddy has fished it once before. Just trying to catch a dang northern pike or two so i can have some for pickling for the rest of the winter. I've fished Scout lake twice this winter with only one hit on the tip ups and no fish. Never though I would have to work this hard to catch a dang Northern coming from Wisconsin.

Anyways if we head down I'll report back by Monday and I'm sure we'll stop in at Birch and Harding and at least make an ice depth check. Thanks for any reports or ideas to you guys have for catching some Northerns around North Pole.

-Helmuth

p.s. Whats the deal with no live bait in AK? Been using minnows forever in WI and MN. Still yet to see a lake "taken over" by golden shiners. I guess the waters are too pristine. Wouldn't want to give the Pike something to eat besides the trout so we can poison lakes.

Default live bait

you do have a point that I am in favor fore

Well Sid, I guess that puts the tally at two for now.

Don't try and apply common sense to our game laws up here.... you'll only get confused. Just nod your head and pay pay pay!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Thumbs down Live bait in Alaska

I think the biggest problem up here is finding a good source of live bait.
    What would you use? Never seen a shiner up here.
    If we allowed live bait many would be inclined to use small game fish and we can't allow that. Sure that would be illegal but what else would you use?
    Shipping up live bait is not a good option either.Most would die on the way up I would think.
    Growing up in MN we used live bait all the time and shiners for one were not very hardy in transport . Sucker minnows did well but shiners just wouldn't last long if you weren't really careful and took care with them.
    And yes imported bait could ruin our fisheries. Just as Carp have taken over in some areas of the lower 48. Some of these bait fish are just that small carp or other species that would quickly take over.
    Who knows they might do nothing but I for one am not willing to take the risk.
    Live bait works great but I do Ok with dead bait or lures most of the time.
    Not to say you are a bad fisherman but if you can't catch a pike after several trips maybe something else is wrong and live bait may not help you all that much. Have seen Novices fish a lake for over a week straight with no luck yet we caught at least a couple of fish every trip from the same lake. he was fishing the wrong areas with lousy setups. I am not one to give up my favorite spots easily to strangers. Eventually he caught on and followed our tracks and fished our old holes.(F&W Troopers gave up the info we had been catching fish)
    If you are talking about Scout lake in Sterling last I heard from very good sources there was only one pike left in the lake that was unaccounted for .Also this lake was scheduled for Rotenone poisioning this past fall right before freeze up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default some people

Thanks for the great advice from an expert fisherman like yourself, sorry to waste your time with a novice fisherman. Maybe someday we can trade secrets and I'll show you how to keep shiners alive in a bucket, it's called water. Not sure I would count two trips to scout lake (not in sterling) several trips but glad to see your on it. It is so fresh to see an old "real" Alaskan throwing his weight around behind a keyboard, such a refreshing sight around here. I'll be standing by for more great pointers.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers Helmuth. I do apoligize.
    I did not intend to insinuate you were a novice as coming from the midwest you have probably caught a lot of pike.
    Just thought you maybe needed to change lcations on the lakes or Bait selection. Try some new jigs or whatever.
    It just seems that I have met an awful lot of people in Alaska even some who grew up in the midwest who want me to help them catch a pike.
    Many have no clue and ask what kind of salmon eggs to use or other obviously novice questions.(not you of course but it is amazing how clueless most non-pike fishermen really are)
    Even people who seemed to know what they were doing often times would come up blank until they had someone help them out.
    On one of the lakes we fish I have seen people do everything right but instead of fishing the productive weed edges they fish the structureless middle of the lake.Then they wonder why they catch no fish.
    Or they drill a couple of holes and sit there all day fish or not as that old hand auger was just too much work.. I used to be guilty of this myself when I was younger.
    I think we all have seen other fishermen/women who just couldn't get it all together. Have had "experienced" people tell me they couldn't catch fish on spirit lake even though I have seen kids as young as 5 catch them without any trouble most times.
    It just that you made it sound as if you had use of live bait all your troubles would be over and your freezer(or pickle jar) would be full of pike.
    Heres some tips for you:
    I prefer to fish weed edges where the pike can ambush their prey.
    I use homemade quickstrike rigs(available in stores also)
    tipped with Hooligan or herring.
    This is below a stationary or wind tip-up.set within 2' of the bottom.
    For jigs spoons work good. Scyclops, Crockodiles etc. I also really like swimming jigs Jigging Rapalas and Airplane jigs tipped with bait. I like berkleys fake leeches as these can be really effective.
    And I keep tabs on witch lakes ADF&G has netted or otherwise destroyed here in southcentral.and how much pressure these lakes recieve.
    Your post reminded me of the duck hunter on here who said that if we let him take the plug out of his shotgun some miracle might occur and he would instantly get more ducks each trip.
    Live bait Isn't always the answer to more pike many think it is.
    Sorry again to have offended you.
    If you find yourself down around Soldotna send me a pm I will be happy to share my pike Knowledge with you and help try to put some in your freezer.
    p.s.As for keeping shiners alive I know full well how to do it.
    Used to catch my own bait all the time as a kid.Creek chubs, shiners,red bellied dace,etc.I was just pointing out that of all the baits I used to use shiners were the least hardy. If you traveled any distance to the lake or were delayed the shiners were the first to go belly up if you didn't get the water changed quick enough.Or the temp got too high.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hey, Helmuth - Are you talking about Scout Lake on Eielson? If so, you should be able to catch pike there. Try all those lakes back in there, the only one that doesn't have fish is Pike Lake, oddly enough. If you can get on Eielson, try Mullins Pit or Polaris. Better get on it before January, the fishing slows way down in those gravel pits as winter gets long. Try what the other guy said, tip-ups with herring a foot or two off the bottom in about 8' of water.

Yes it is scout lake across from Eielson. We went there a couple times last year and had some decent days out fishing with double digit numbers of fish (I've probably caught 50 pike out of that lake in the last 4 years both summer and winter.) using tips with herring about 18 inches of the bottoms with some tip ups. We just haven't been able to connect in the few hours we have been fishing this year. Time on the ice is the problem not the bait. Live bait is not an end all be all answer to catching fish. All I am saying is that there are plenty of lakes and rivers around the country that people fish live bait in and they are not infested. Just a thought, not a terrorist threat to the waters of Alaska. If they cant get live bait up to some of the middle of no where Canada where I'm sure they could make it happen here. Where thre is a will there's a way right.

As for the original thread which I have seem to highjacked from myself, F&G says the Tanana is still open on the way to George Lake so I guess we need some more wintry weather to make that trip happen. Hope everyone has some luck this weekend .

Hey guys looking to give this thread a jump to see if some of you Delta guys can give some of us up north a heads up on ice conditions on the river prior to making the drive south. I'm really excited about pulling some pike through the ice...any info would greatly appreciated

Richie

Default Crossing the river

I believe you will want to wait until February to try and cross for George Lake. Of course depending on mother nature to freeze the T-River.

Has anybody ever crossed safely before Feb?? I know fishing closes 31 March and it is a smal window to winter fish the pike there.

Just asking......
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Helmuth...

It's not the first time and it wont be the last...I deal with a horde of them at work, including a master guide who at first seems pretty **** nice....till he opens his mouth. This state is full of them!

JMSS, we crossed two years ago right after the new year and there were plenty of tracks across the river but then again that was two years ago.

Live bait= fast-track to invasive species. Its great that AK doesnt allow it, in the lower 48 it has become a huge problem and the problems araising from it are included in "normal operating expenses" by many fisheries departments.

Shiners may have not been a problem but carp, sticklebacks, bullheads, shad, alewives, etc have become problematic (I know many of these species are not native to AK, but could become problematic if the bait is brought in from somewhere else (and most times it is)).

anyone doing any fishing for these toothy critters? I was wondering if the recent cold snap locked up the t-river. If you have some recent news please post a report.

thanks,

Richcie

if anyone is planning a trip to fish George the ice on the river was safe to cross last week. It was locked up and we did not have any issues crossing. The fishing was slow on the lake with only one fish to hand. We also talked to another group and they only caught one as well.

The trail into the lake was in good condition just watch out for the big bump (dead moose) in the trail.

Hope this helps

Default Scout Lake

Maybe just maybe Scout lake is getting fished out? We don't have rich lakes here in the Interior and they can easily be over fished if too many are killed. Minto Flats and the Chatanika River are good examples of over fishing. There are still lots of pike in Minto Flats but the numbers and size don't hold a candle to what used to be there 35 - 40 years ago.

Default Looking at anything new to report?

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    if anyone is planning a trip to fish George the ice on the river was safe to cross last week. It was locked up and we did not have any issues crossing. The fishing was slow on the lake with only one fish to hand. We also talked to another group and they only caught one as well.

The trail into the lake was in good condition just watch out for the big bump (dead moose) in the trail.

Hope this helps
    Does anyone have a current report for George Lake? Crossing the river...still locked up?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com