Thread: Looking for boat based black bear hunt-thinking of Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer

Default Looking for boat based black bear hunt-thinking of Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer

Wondering if anyone has used Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer for a black bear hunt.

There are 4-6 of us looking for a boat based hunt for coastal black bears this next spring.

Open to any suggestions. Brother got diagnosed with lung cancer a few months ago and me and my other brothers are going to bring him on a black bear hunt.

Are the coastal black bears that much bigger if at all?
    What can one expect over in the area from Homer to Seldovia (sounds like that is his main area)?

Thanks,
    Brett

Default bunch of boats doing those hunts..

in addition to ACM homer ocean and alaska premier sportfishing both offer good hunts.
    lots of bears, most are about 5 1/2'. a few bigger, some smaller.
    most of the boats hunt around the corner on the outer coast, more from port chatham to port dick.
    i think homer ocean has an agreement (as in paid a bunch of money) with seldovia native tribe to hunt in seldovia bay, and that has been bonus when the weather is nasty.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default bears,bears everywhere

There are a lot of Bears in Homer, and Seldovia but not all are big bears. I was told that the chief of police in Seldovia use to average 30 to 40bears tagged every year and in the last couple 10 -12 or so. This is not by any means official in numbers. Living there in the summers we aren't seeing as many bears as we use to. I would guess that this is a cycle as most game does. You will find a bear if you hunt hard and be aware that there is presure there as the coast line isn't all that big in the area and lot's of local hunters are out there as its the only big game to hunt in the area.
    That being said the country is the best in Alaska and any hunt in the area is outstanding. Best of luck Tom

Smile South East Ak.

If you want a big costal Alaska black bear I would look at South East Alaska. Finances are always a concern for most of us. If the main concern is getting the one brother a big black bear and not everyone getting one then consider a outfitter from Craig, Petusburg or Gustavus and pool your money towards that effort. If you are experienced at running skiffs and dealing with tides and rough weather and have some gear then consider a "do it your self" hunt at Prince of Wales Island. The chances of getting a big squaring hide are better in the South East. If shooting a black bear in the 5' to 6' range is acceptable then book with an outfitter from Homer, Seward, Cordova or Valdez. Enjoy the scenery, the fishing and the memory, the bear hide is an excuse to go.....

Check out Alaska Peak and Seas. He is based out of Wrangell and does boat based bear hunts.

I did the hunt with Ak Coastal Marine in 02 We shot our 6 bears in 3 day's, all were over 6ft and the biggest was pushing 7ft. It was great trip, with over 75 bears spotted in the 5 day's we were out.
    After we limited out on bears, we fished for halibut and had a great time with that too.

Of course that was a while ago, so I'm not sure how it's changed, but we had a great time and I'd recommend this trip to anyone. Unfortunatly Dave Mastolier is no longer skippering for them, he was great.

I spent some time in Tutka bay late September and I saw lots of black bear signs; tracks around most beach areas etc One of the feckers even stole a paddle from my kayak that I had left on the beach. Never found it unfortunately.

Default AK Coastal Marine

I have hunted Kodiak w/ these guys for two years. Two thumbs up - can't say enough good about Tim and his crew.

I have been thinking about trying the Homer trip myself...

My Uncle lives full time in Peterson Bay. I generally visit him in July and fish China Poot for Reds.

I mention this because that area is thick with black bears. I diffidently keep an eye open when fishing. It's not uncommon to have them on his dock sniffing around the boat or up on his deck.

In case your not familiar with the above mentioned areas they're basically directly across from lands end. I imagine bears are thick from there all the way down the coast.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...hinapootpu.cfm

Good luck

Thanks to all of you for the info.

I will look into these and call for references.

Thanks again,
    Brett

Default Alaska Safari Unlimited

Last year, some of my friends went with Paul Brand's live aboard outfit based out of Homer and had a great time. Shot some nice bears. I think this outfit also hunts private or native lands. Just another option for you to look into.... www.bear-hunt-alaska.com