Thread: Rex Trail

Default Rex Trail

Headed down the Rex Trail tomorrow with some friends into the archery zone. Anyone have any tips or things to look out for?

thanks

Default Rex

Spoke with Clear Sky Lodge and Rochester near the Rex, they say not enough snow for snowmachine without lots of bumps and too cold for 4 wheeler. Oh well sounds like a go to me. Suppose there are moose around but hope to see one before freezing.

Maybe see you there.

Dean

It was 58 degrees when I drove through Healy last weekend from Fairbanks. It was a lot colder yesterday when I went through, about 2 degrees or so, but there isn't crap for snow cover that way. I'd bring a four-wheeler and leave the snowmachine behind.

Default Rex Trail Moose

Got back home from the Rex at 11PM Saturday the 16th. Shot one moose, but were looking for two, hard to make 2 moose a reality with the amount of day light available. It was -29 Friday night when we pulled into the lodge, -20 this morning when we went in (Rifle area about 40 miles in). Plenty of folks but some are bringing out moose. More to follow finger tips recovering from trip out.

Dean

I must not have looked at the regs very close; I didn't know there's an archery only area. Where does the rifle area start? was this RM 764? I'm tentatively planning on heading up there sometime in late Jan or early Feb.

Default archery area

Is there any tags left for the archery area or have all the moose been shot in this area?

Default Rex Bow Area

There is a hot line which tells you what areas are open and how many left on the quotas by area. The first 30 miles on the Rex is bow only. There are some portions of the bow area which are closed to hunting but folks were in the bow area on the 16th of DEC (yesterday) with bows.

Hot line: 459-7386

Good luck and make sure your trailer sled is good my new Otter II didn't survive without a chunk gone out of the corner, snowmachines did great and maybe it's warming up I would wait to get out there.

OK, I just looked a bit closer. It's bow only until you cross the Tatlanika, then rifle in the Wood River CUA. Everything west of the Intertie is closed, too. I haven't been up there since the Intertie was put in...where does it cross the Rex? Looks like it's a mile or two past 7 mile lake?

Default Intertie and Rex Results

What is the Intertie?

Saw some sign of moose got this one near mile 40. Temperatures were decent (minus single digits) in the day considering the thermostat in the pickup read -22 when we departed that AM.

Default Attachments

Forgot the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

The regs refer to the "Northern Intertie". I assume it's the powerline they were going to put in. Having not been up there since '02, I don't really know if it got done or not. was assuming that's what the reg was talking about. Should be somewhere around 7-10 miles in.