Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ABS pipe question

  1. #1
    Member CaptNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    76

    Default ABS pipe question

    I just scored a mess of ABS pipe in varying sizes and grades. I am wondering about the feasibility of using schedule 40 or 80 ABS for my well casing. Is ABS okay for potable water or do we have to use PVC, copper, steel? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks, CN

  2. #2

    Default

    Sell it to a plumber on craigslist and contact a reputable well driller. PM me if you need recommendations on who does a good job for a reasonable price.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member CaptNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    76

    Default Dont want to sell it,

    I am wanting to use it for my own well casing and sewer system, need to know if its acceptable for potable water, or if the well has to be PVC. This is a remote location, around 15 miles from the road. I talked with a couple drillers who quoted from $150.00 to $200.00 a foot for a cased hole. I am looking at buying my own driller. Two 100' wells would cover the cost of the equipment. Thanks. CN

  4. #4
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    just a thought but you might look at something like this. www.deeprock.com

    There's other's out there also.

  5. #5

    Default ABS well casing

    I am currious how you plan to sink ABS 100' in the ground?

    I have never heard of such a thing... maybe I am missing something.

    Tom

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    188

    Default

    ABS will work great for your sewer system, that is what it is used for, the best and easiest in my opinion. You can't use it for potable. Not sure where you are going with the well casing idea?? My two cents.

  7. #7
    Member CaptNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I will certainly use it for my sewer, was wanting to know if it was acceptable for potable water. Helmuth says no, is it because of the material its made of? Getting it in the ground would be no different than using PVC unless I am missing something. Schedule 80 is pretty heavy duty stuff. Guess I'm gonna get PVC but still wonder what makes ABS unacceptable for water. Thanks CN

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Plumbing code states that ABS can only be used for DWV, drain, waste, and vent. Not sure why it is but, I'm sure with a little research on the WWW, you can find your answer.

  9. #9
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Put some of that sched 80 in your boat to help you get unstuck! 3in x 5ft works the best. I would be interested in buying 5 pieces too.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  10. #10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Put some of that sched 80 in your boat to help you get unstuck! 3in x 5ft works the best. I would be interested in buying 5 pieces too.
    If you go with varying sizes, you can slip one inside the other and not take up so much room in the boat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member AK LIVIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Dog House
    Posts
    122

    Default why not to use ABS

    ABS is designed to be utilized as drainage only. It's not designed to withstand PSI of water systems.

  12. #12
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought he was talking about using it for casing. I see nothing wrong with it being used for that purpose, other than trying to get it to the 100' mark,( usally that takes a little pounding to get it that far, and even with steel pipe you have to have a thickend shoe) If you can get her down that far, no problems. Slip your pump and the 1" pipe down inside, and there you go.

    There is nothing that I know of that would come off a contaminate your water that I know of.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    335

    Default well casing

    though you might get away with using a plastic of some sort, I would be concerned with crush stregnth from side wall. settling ground is unmercyful and though things are fine at serface levels the tonage of material can be much the same as diving .the deeper you go the greater the pressures. I am sure that if it were possable to use plastic they would have done it a long time ago, just to cercumvent the expense and the convienience of a material that won't break down with corrosion.BUT, rock can cut through crease and fold plastic while trying to drive it down and if it crushes how are you going to repair it or retreve it ?
    the casing, is the well, the pump and riser are replacable,(done right) Personally for the investment of the well drilling, I go with the industry standard. I'm cheap, and wouldn't want to pay for the job twice.

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    ABS is designed to be utilized as drainage only. It's not designed to withstand PSI of water systems.
    as a casing the the ABS would be under no water pressure as the pump and suction line are the pressure points. well casings are hollow all the way down used to hold the dirt back. with a submerged pump or a top mounted pump and a copper line run from/to it. the top mounted pump having a foot/bell on the lowered end to screen gravel out that could be picked up...

    there is a potential that like some plastics i could be bad for your water system... however ... When y0u drill the hole you will know the depth of the water in your hole...

    for instance... mine is 105 foot deep... but i have 38 foot of water in the hole from pressure of the spring/table ect///

    you would substitute 4 10" sections of black for a good pipe that would attach but still fit the other 6.5 sections would never be in contact with your water.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Member CaptNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    76

    Default Thank you everyone

    After hearing everyones ideas/opinions and doing a lot of research I am not going to use ABS for well casing, could not find any solid evidence one way or the other but there's enough controversy that I will just steer clear and be safe. Thanks again. CN

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •