Thread: July 3-10 Kenai River fishing

Default July 3-10 Kenai River fishing

The family booked our trip July 3-10 on the Kenai, with Lloyd Stenerson and KenaiRiverlodging, just out of Soldotna. The cabin is on the river with a dock. I would appreciate any advice, on tackle, lures, and technique for whatever is swimming that stretch of river that time of the year. Any info on the lodge/owner would also be appreciated, we booked with him because of "friend of a friend" type of thing. Rods and reels that I already have range from medium spinning (walleye)to heavy baitcasting (musky/pike). Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Ask the lodge owner. You are a little early for good numbers of red coming by there but there may be a few. Ask him what kind of bank he has and what kind of access it has and how the water flow is, that is a biggie. I am not familiar with his operation, does he have a website? Is it a lodge, or B&B? Does he have guides working out of there or does he sub clients out to guides?

His website is KenaiRiverlodging.com. My stepdad made the arrangements, and he'll get some details, but I thought I'd try and get some "local" knowledge here. Thanks.

Mike

I didn't get any website for kenairiverlodging.com

Did you mean kenairiverlodge.com?

If you have a direct link that may help.

That first week of July is the first week of the second run of kings, generally each day during this time the fishing improves, it depends somewhat on the tides as well. I wouldn't expect many sockeyes to be in the river yet, you may catch a few but unless the run is early you will put in a lot of hours "flipping" for them. A medium-heavy rod should be fine, the current is strong and the sockeyes are stong, minimum 20lb line, 30lb is better, imo. Generally you won't catch any kings from shore on the Kenai, there are a very few places this is possible and the success is not very good.

Prices are fair, and they are very close to Soldotna yet far enough way. Hopefully you will get into some reds during your stay, they should come right by his place and having a private bank to fish is really nice when the reds are running as public access places can get very crowded. I would suggest a guided river trip for kings as well as a halibut trip, both things that should be experienced when you visit the area. Personally, I would do a full day (usually 8-10 hours) on the river, not a half day.

Default A little early for kings/reds

Early July the last several years has not produced very good fishing, water clarity issues made catching dificult. I think we all pray for a better year in 2010, 2009 was one of the worst on record. Clear/clean water usually= good fishing (assuming of course the fish numbers are good which they wern't). Killey, Funny & Moose river blow outs all but end fishing on the Kenai until conditions improve which didn't happen for most of July this year. I spent a solid two weak on the river in mid-late July and saw at most 2-3 nets in the air a day (from hundreds of boats working the lower river). Sockeye fishing was very good I hear upriver at the Russian (especially early season) that was the only bonus from last year, great Russian early run. Hope this doesn't put a downer on your trip, the area is still very beautiful, fishing has a chance to be good (we all hope that it is) just enjoy and don't place unrealistic expectations on catching the monster (very few catch fish over 50) and definitely take a halibut trip, it's as close to a sure thing Alaska offers when it comes to fishing.

In that time frame....

TROUT = can be awfully good in the middle/upper river that time of year. Hordes of fresh sea-run dollies also make their appearance in the lower river.

REDS = too early for the main push of fish. If the Russian is experiencing a strong run, there could still be some fresh fish there, but you'll probably have to sort thru a lot of purple or scarlet green-heads to limit out

KINGS = that's prime time rat-fest on the Kenai. Count on MOST takedowns being very small dinker jacks. PLEASE harvest these fish... esp if they're under 20 inches, they should die. If you get a big one, odds are it'll be a darker fish. Release these mature fish as they are part of the larger older population of early run fish that ADFG has been trying to conserve for the past 7 seasons. That said, catching a CHROME hawg is not impossible, it's just a whole lot less likely to happen in your time frame. As an example, this one was caught in tidewater on July 5 last summer.

If you do catch one of these magnificent fish, consider releasing it to spawn as large fish have also been significantly depleted on the front end of the late run during the first 2-3 weeks of July.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Several options during that time frame... to each his own

1. Kenai River Kings (Could be good, but you need a guide)
    2. Kasilof River Kings (later in your trip)
    2. Russian River reds (especially during the early part of your trip)
    3. Cook Inlet Halibut (Ninilchik, Anchor Point, or Homer)
    4. Upper/Middle Kenai Trout & Dollies (I'd go Middle that time frame)
    5. Russian River Rainbows (wadeable fly fishing water)
    6. Fly Out Bear Viewing/Fishing at Wolverine Creek (do it for the wildlife/scenery)
    7. Hike in Trout/Grayling Mountain Lakes (a little work, but worth it)
    8. Seward Halibut, Silvers, Kings, Rockfish, LingCod

You can easily research these options using the magic of google, and then decide what is best for you and your family.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks for the suggestions, Halibut is the main attraction for me, some reds would be nice and a King would be awesome. I'm a CPR guy when it comes to big fish, so any big king would definitely get released. Thanks again.

Mike