Thread: Fuel tank

Default Fuel tank

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=SHOPZ_39538

I am looking for a fuel tank idea for my Zodiac. I currently use three 6 gallon tanks but want to have more capacity for a long trip or two that I am planning this coming summer. I would ultimately need about 40 gals to get done what I am looking at.

I am limited to 36" tube to tube in width in the boat. Google came up with the undermount tank above which would fit just about right in my boat...but I was really looking for something that could be sat on - a seat type tank combo but am coming up blank.

Worse case would be to pack a poly or two with me and use my 6 gallon tanks - but on this boat space is really at a premium and by the time you get camping gear and shrimp pots about the ole lady and dog have to swim behind......and that prolly won't fly!

You could have one made out of Aluminum to fit your boat. One gallon is = to 231 cu. Inches. I made a aluminum 40 gal tank for a friend it was around $500.

Go to your local car wash and get a 30 gallon plastic drum. Some places give them away, some charge $15. Once you empty it and need the boat space burn it where you are camping.
    Tennessee

Default fuel

why not have a small boat to tow gear in , for the weight, the load is exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    why not have a small boat to tow gear in , for the weight, the load is exactly the same.
    Way too much drag, IMO. I towed a 14 foot achilles behind my boat at speed and the drag was very noticeable. Fuel burn on the big boat went up 2-3 gph. When it was folded up and stored on the roof with the little tender, I could not even tell it was there.

I like Randy's idea. Those big drums have a small foot print which is necessary in a zode.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default not

in the plans to pull another boat - couldn't imagine tackling 2 footers at 25mph in a zodiac pulling another boat.

I already have two 15 gallon polys that I could use. But space is at a premium on this little rubber duckie......so a square tank that would fit in the middle used as a seat would put some weight up forward (I am worried about flipping upside down at times) would be ideal.

By the time you put 5 shrimp pots and 1800 foot of rope, salmon fishing gear, halibut fishing gear, sleeping bags, tipi, wood stove (very compact) and a couple plates you barely have room for the wife and dog.....

Which might be ok really - as last night I was explaining to her how I was going to fish the southern end of knight in the rubber duckie and she told me that she hasn't decided quite yet -but I might very well be going solo.....in that case the polys will work fine!

Default Tank

Look on Ebay at the poly "fuel cells" for race cars. they are light and nearly indestructable and would make a usable seat. They also won't leak fuel if you flip your boat or haul them in a plane. Many sizes and shapes are available.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a 14' RIB (rigid inflatable) and have the same issues with not enough fuel - I usually use the rule of Thirds (one third there, one third back, one third in reserve) when it comes to fuel and it did save me once when one of the three 6-gallon tanks had water in it.
    So basically I have six gallons to play with when I go out.
    If I run full throttle (30+ mph) it will only last about an hour and some which is usually fine for a quick day trip out, but I'd like to venture out a bit more.

I was thinking of mounting something like this (12 gallons) in the back of my boat and adding a fuel/water separator:

But... on these tanks it always says "Remove From Boat for Filling" and I know that static can be a hazard when it comes to fuel and plastic tanks, and there's no way I will be lifting that thing in the back of the boat every time.
    Does anyone have any experience with these type of tanks that are mounted inside a boat?
    The hull of my boat is glass with rubber tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post

I was thinking of mounting something like this (12 gallons) in the back of my boat and adding a fuel/water separator:

But... on these tanks it always says "Remove From Boat for Filling" and I know that static can be a hazard when it comes to fuel and plastic tanks, and there's no way I will be lifting that thing in the back of the boat every time.
    Does anyone have any experience with these type of tanks that are mounted inside a boat?
    The hull of my boat is glass with rubber tubes.
    Use a ground wire and ground the gas nozzle just like they do when filling up an airplane. The ground bleeds off the static electricity and your good to go.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !