Thread: "Finishing" a pig

Default "Finishing" a pig

I have been doing a little research and was wondering what some personal thoughts are with finishing a pig. Our little porker is about 80 lbs now and is putting on weight fast now, about 20 lbs a week. We have about 75 lbs of starter grower left, then 150 lbs of grower to feed him after that. How long after the grower do you "finish" him and what food do you use? I'm planning on taking him off the grower when he gets around 200-250 lbs. This is our first pig and I already wish we had got one more, I can't help but drool when I go out to see him!

Will

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    I have been doing a little research and was wondering what some personal thoughts are with finishing a pig. Our little porker is about 80 lbs now and is putting on weight fast now, about 20 lbs a week. We have about 75 lbs of starter grower left, then 150 lbs of grower to feed him after that. How long after the grower do you "finish" him and what food do you use? I'm planning on taking him off the grower when he gets around 200-250 lbs. This is our first pig and I already wish we had got one more, I can't help but drool when I go out to see him!

Will
    I wish you would have gotten one more as well. Then, you could have shared

Default your pig

we use peanut meal, maybe you can't get that, so i would use whole corn and cotton seed meal cottonseed meal put the muscle on it, corn will put some good fat on it

When you are done "finishing" don't forget to really finish with an AOD BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    When you are done "finishing" don't forget to really finish with an AOD BBQ.

LOL! I'm really regretting not getting one or two more. Wife says I have to build another shelter for them if I want to do more. I think it's her way of telling me to just build an all out barn.....

I just dropped one off at Mat Valley Meats that I bought from a friend out on Pt. Mackenzie (215# field dressed). He has one about the same size left if anyone is interested....

Looking forward to fresh pork in the freezer!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....