Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye glasses

Default Eye glasses

For those of you that have to wear eye glasses while riding how do you over come your glasses from fogging up? What kind of helmet do you use while riding. Do you have prescription goggles????

Contacts are not an option for me. Thanks for the help.

What temps are you riding in? I too was blessed with horrible eyesight myself.

I've found that a high quality breathe deflector is key, something that will seal off your nose and mouth and direct all air down and out.

If you have the coin, check into a brand of prescription glasses, they make some seal to the face via foam, just like goggles.

Clicky
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Negatives

Will be in like -25 to about 0 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Will be in like -25 to about 0 degrees.
    It is what it is. Your limited when it's that, first things first invest in a good breathe protector..either one that velcro's into the helmet or come sin a Balaclava configuration..hell maybe a super fancy $300 helmet with built in aviator mask and full face shield.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A friend just bought a No-Fog mask at a dealer and said it works good. He wears glasses and likes it. Their website is terrible. You will probally find these at a dealer: http://www.nofogusa.com/

I have a heated visor and have no problems with my glasses fogging.

I have a modular helmet with the integrated breath guard and venting. I paid about $150 for it over at fish creek sales and it works well. Getting the nose piece fitted right and having your glasses above the nose piece are key! I only fog slightly at temps above 0 and simply cracking the face shield eliminates it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Question

seriously, have you ever thought about LASIK eye surgery? I am in the pre-surgery process right now and look forward to getting lasered in early 2010. i am very tired of fogging and other visual problems when wearing glasses...above all i do not want to be stuck in bush AK on a hunt or other trip and either break or lose my glasses. this could mean life or death for me given my very poor vision w/o correction.

Please checkout Lasik very carefully before you do it. There have been 1000's of people who regret having it done.

Follow-up. I would read everyone of these before I have surgery. http://www.lasikcomplications.com/lasik-complaints.htm

Default Glasses

I use a no fog mask ,open face moto cross style helmet, and goggles with a small AAA battery operated fan. I think they are made by Smith. After 20 years in all temps and conditions, seems to be the best compromise all around. If its above 15 - 20 degrees I usually omit the goggles and just use prescription glasses/sunglasses. If its less than -25 to -30, just stay inside and drink beer.

Eye surgery is a risk as is any surgery. But worth the risk in my opinion.

I was 20/400 in my left eye and 20/300 in my right eye. I had Lazik surgery at about 9 AM in the morning. At 3:30 PM that same day, I came back in to be checked. I was 20/25 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye. The surgeon was pleased with my progress and said both eyes would get better as they continued to heal. That was in December 2000. So far every eye exam has showed absolutely no problem.

Thanks for the info guys. Lasiks some day, but still waiting on reports of eyebaslls falling out 15 years post ops. These ideas should work & look to be a bit cheaper. Thanks, again.

Default Lasik

It's been almost 10 years since I had it done and my eyeballs are still in.

Seriously, if you spend a lot of time out in the cold, getting rid of the need for glasses is worth a lot. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Default prescription goggles

I have an employee that has THICK glasses and tried everything (helmet/goggle over glasses/contacts) down to -30F. Prescription goggles seemed to work great with a moto style helmet. The googles were around $200 but worth it because she can actually SEE and won't freeze her face off.

I'll second what others have said.

1. Motocross Helmet

2. No Fog Mask

3. Prescription SMITH Fan Goggles. I got mine from www.provue.com

From my experience, this combination should keep you fog free 99% of the time.

The Modular Helment is the way to go for people that wear glass's.

Sure your going to spend somewhere inbetween 300-400 but theres no sub if you asked me.

Go to any Ski-Doo dealer, and they should have one that you can try on and see if it fits your needs.

Does'nt hurt to check it out.

Good luck.

Thumbs up contact lenses?

I too wore glasses for years. When I first got them I asked about contact lenses and was told nope due to my astigmatism (wow I cant believe I spell that on the first try ), well a few years ago I was complaining to my eye doctor about glasses and he ask me why don't I try contacts. At first I thought he was pulling my leg but he set me up with an appointment and I left with a pair of contacts in my eyes. At first they were a little bit of a pain and took some getting used to. But now they are the cats meow. I have the monthly breathable ones and I put them in the first of the month and take them out when the end of the month rolls around. No cleaning no messing around with contact solution. If they start to get uncomfortable I take them our and put in a new set, simple as that. I take a spare set with me when Im out in the field.

You know what the best part is? Getting your peripheral vision back. Its amazing how much you miss when you aren't using all of your eyes. Especially when you eying the last piece of pie or cold beer and don't want anyone to know your evil intentions. LOL

Might be worth a look.

I just got disposable 1 day wear contacts. They cost about $2 a pair, which means about a $100 for a season of riding. Fogging is gone for good. No dangerous Laser surgery, No masks, etc. I carry 2 spare pair + spare pair of glasses. The exam will cost less than $100, and the lenses can be bought on-line. You can't undo laser surgery, and regardless of what anyone says, laser surgery has problems. For one thing, if you are nearsighted, you will need glasses to read or work on anything close-up when you get laser surgery - a real pain in the ass.

Default no fog

I use a no fog mask and it works pretty good. The only place I have a problem is stopping for those Beer breaks(every 3rd mile or so!) once I stop moving I can't get that thing off fast enough. wet neoprene is not pleasant.

Thanks for all the good words about contacts. I think I'm going to give them another try!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast