Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger, how long must we wait?

Talking 375 Ruger, how long must we wait?

375 Ruger: When is it available to the public? I have been trying to find when and where it will be released. I was wondering when brass and dies will be available. The prospect of a Magnum cartridge in standard length actions has made me eager to get shooting and reloading for this new and exciting cartridge. I saw the listed price for rounds on the Hornady web site and at 3 dollar a shot, I want to find data, components and dies to help keep shooting economical. How long will it be before Hornady releases brass and load development data for the 375 Ruger? Any sites or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Bryan
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

Default Data and info...

Just perused the 'new' copy of Rifle magazine, good write up in there about it.

Default 375 whenever it gets here...

BW,

I have a brochure they sent me this week and it says the 20" Alaskan and the 23" African will be available early in 2007. The left handed version will be mid 2007. It says the 20" will give H&H ballistics from the 20" barrel compared to the H&H 24" which is about what I expected.

I really like the rifle as it is described and look forward to it coming. As for load data I'll load for it even if I never own one. I'll develop load data for you, you just buy the rifle. It's case capacity is equal to or better than the various "improved" H&H rounds. Add 100-150 fps to the H&H ballistics with 80 grains of H4350 powder.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 375Ruger

I spoke with Ruger Sales by phone last week about the 375Ruger "Alaskan". At that time, they were on schedule to ship this rifle to distributors in the first quarter of 2007.

Hornady now has the Ruger375 ammunition in three loadings listed with pricing on their web site.

Scovill measured a 375Ruger case obtained from an unidentified source and proclaimed it to be made off the Newton. He gave dimensions that were conflicting w/ those that were leaked by Hornady. He had no verification from either Hornady or Ruger that his dimensions were correct.

Boddington also put out the dimensions of the 375Ruger that were on line with that leaked by Hornady. This data disputes the Scovill article.

As of last week, neither Ruger sales nor Ruger Parts/Service had the official specs on the cartridge.

GVA

I have a Mauser action I'd like to try the 375 Ruger in. My guess on availability is 12-18 months.

Too bad those rifles are wearing a Hogue stock. Man, those stocks suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Please elaborate.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

I have a Hogue stock on my old Ruger rifle, and this rifle looks much better than when it had the old boat paddle stock. The recoil pad is soft and thick, and the stock is pillar bedded. It cost me $99.99 at Cabela's.

Now, Hogue has the same stock, but with a full aluminum bed. This one costs $200.00. Both are rubber molded, so they don't feel cold, and don't make noise when branches or twigs rub against them.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I have a Hogue stock on my old Ruger rifle, and this rifle looks much better than when it had the old boat paddle stock. The recoil pad is soft and thick, and the stock is pillar bedded. It cost me $99.99 at Cabela's.

Now, Hogue has the same stock, but with a full aluminum bed. This one costs $200.00. Both are rubber molded, so they don't feel cold, and don't make noise when branches or twigs rub against them.
    I personally don't care for them. The dimensions and feel seem rather clunky and reminiscent of heavy barrel varmiter stocks. Can you imagine if you got bug dope on that rubber? As for the cold feel, when is the last time you wore rubber gloves in zero-degree weather? Did they feel warm? I'm not sure I get that one. The quiet aspect is definitely a plus. Anyway, I'm sure they are good stocks, I just don't like the feel and don't happen to prefer them.

Talking Stocks for the 375 Alaskian?

I know I am putting the Horse before the cart, but I have found possible source a replacement stock for the 375 Alaskan. I was searching on line for a stock for an other rifle and found the fallowing company, Richards Microfit Gunstocks, http://www.rifle-stocks.com They seem to have a large selection and a really god selection of woods to chose from. I was thinking of a brown on brown laminate in the sporter configuration. The color is nice and I love the stability of laminated wood. I have had other Houge stocks and donít like the rubbery outside and am afraid that the stock might stick to my coat when I bring it up to my shoulder. They claim their stocks are 99% drop in. I know I have to get the gun first but it dose not hurt to plan and dream. What do you thing about this as a tentative replacement stock? Your input would be greatly appreciated
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I personally don't care for them. The dimensions and feel seem rather clunky and reminiscent of heavy barrel varmiter stocks. Can you imagine if you got bug dope on that rubber? As for the cold feel, when is the last time you wore rubber gloves in zero-degree weather? Did they feel warm? I'm not sure I get that one. The quiet aspect is definitely a plus. Anyway, I'm sure they are good stocks, I just don't like the feel and don't happen to prefer them.
    I didn't mean to bother you in any way. I like the Hogue stocks, because they work fine for me in Alaska, and for the reasons I already explained. All i know is that the Hogue looks much better on my Ruger, and that it absorbs much more recoil that the "boat paddle stock" it had. To understand what I said about, "feel warm to the touch" means: it does not feel like when one grabs a cold Zytel stock. Zytel feels much colder than rubber to one's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I didn't mean to bother you in any way. All i know is that the Hogue looks much better on my Ruger, and that it absorbs much more recoil that the "boat paddle stock" it had.
    No bother at all. I truely understand what you mean about those original Ruger stocks. They were hideous and the recoil pad was narrow and hard. They probably kicked worse than any other rifle on the market. LOL! I've seen those rifles used in graphs on the back of aftermarket recoil pad packaging showing "before and after" said recoil pad. Has anyone had any experience with the Hogue stocks while sporting facial hair? While I was just handling one it seemed like it could be painfully pulled during recoil thanks to the sticky rubber. Yeah? No way?

I have a Hogue stock on my Model 70 and love it. Not only did I see better accuracy over the crappy Win stock, it has a better feel. As for facial hair, it doesn't seem to bother or pull mine at all. I've been very happy with it and am looking at getting one or two more for other rifles.

As for the 375 Ruger, I am looking forward to seeing one. I trust they will have one for me to play with at the SHOT show next month. I will report if they do for sure.

Default 375H&H/375 ruger difference

Whats the difference between the 2?

I have a couple of old (tang safety) Rugers in magnum calibers(7mm and 300 winny). From what I've read I should be able to screw on a new tube in the new 375 caliber and be good to go. My only concern is will the feed rails be the same? I guess if I had some concrete case dimensions on the new round then I could probably answer my own question!

Any thoughts?

Bye the way, just because Ruger is impressing everyone with their new 375 offering doesn't mean I'm gonna quit bugging them about doing a bolt gun in 450 Marlin!

I know some of their people in the know read this forum! So......get with it boys! We still want a 450 in 77 Ruger! I'll buy the first one!!!!!

E.K. HELL I WAS THERE!

Default svehunter

It should fly 150 - 200 fps faster than the .375 H&H like Murphy mentioned and that's out of a 20" barrel with better trajectory and energy. You also won't lose the extra round in the magazine! I think the real bonus some are overlooking is that it will be built on a standard 30-06 length action, and that means it should be priced accordingly. Traditonally these calibers start in the $1,800 range, but now I'm thinking more like $900.

Pure gun rag speculation:

Base and rim (in dispute).522 or .532 The later being standard .338WM/375H&H belted mag dia.and better IMO (no need to open up the bolt face)

Case length: 2.568
    Neck length: .314
    Shoulder Diameter: .510
    Base to Shoulder: 2.178
    OAL w/270gr: 3.315 (in line with the 30-06)

Wyatt

Ballistic Comparison
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Traditonally these calibers start in the $1,800 range, but now I'm thinking more like $900.
    What? There are numerous .375 H&H, 416 Remington, .300 Ultra, etc. offerings using the longer action for just a little over the price of standard length actions.

Default 375 Ruger

My point being that many of the premier gun manufacturers don't chamber all the larger calibers in all models and therefore many times you have to pay for the "safari" type features. Agree you can pick up a CZ, Remington or similar in 375 H&H or 416 for under $1000. Well, if you see a once used chamber reamer in .375 Ruger in the Buy and Sell section you'll know which path I'll me walking.

Wyatt

Default More 375 Ruger speculation...

This is fun or maybe just entertaining...but, the official press release from Ruger doesn't mention anything about the case dimensions. But does claim H&H ballistics from a 20" barrel and 2660 fps with the 300 grain Hornady, from the 23" African rifle.

The magnum bolt head is .532", originally Ruger promised to maintain that. I doubt that. They also promised to stay with the 30-06 overall length, that they probably will do.

Keep in mind that Hornady is designing the cartridge and I think the only criteria is; beltless and 3.340" max COAL. Also keep in mind that Hornady makes the 376 Steyr brass and ammo. The 376 is the 9.3x64 case shortened to 60 mm and necked to .375" If they stretch (or don't cut) that case to it's original length of 2.540" (64mm), that would be a more effecient and realistic way to produce the case. That case, which is roughly .495" in diameter, will certainly give the ballistics of 300 gr @ 2660 fps, and will fit in a 30-06 magazine. And we can easily get three in the box of the M77 rifle.

So........basically if my theory is good Ruger is bringing back the old 9.3x64 case for wildcatting. Life is good!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast