Thread: considering coming back

Default considering coming back

Hello to all! It's been about 13 years since I was last there and have so missed it. My wife and I are talking about packing up and heading back "home" in the spring. She has never been there and gets so tired of me talking about going back to the point she is ready to move to just keep me quiet about it lol.
    I lived in Anchorage way back when and then moved to where I am now. She has concerns about making a new life that far away. Feel free to chime in with support as she reads this forum also.
    I'm going to be sending out resumes starting tomorrow but was wondering what are the best prospects at the moment as far as anyone knows. I'm in Law Enforcement now but would be looking for something different. Any help would be great and thanks in advanced.

Stay LEO and go work for APD, they are always short man power.

Best of luck

Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

welfare state of Alaska

Default Not changed much

Anchorage hasn't changed much at all compared to the lower 48 cities - you won't find any surprises.

Getting to know people will be a real challenge unless to have kids in school or other common grounds for opportunities to meet people. I'd stay out of established neighborhoods as most people in them already have friends and family. People in oil industry and military tend to be more mobile and friendly as a result - I don't know about LE.

While people aren't unfriendly I guess they just tend to stay to themselves or something. I meet a lot more tourists in the summer than locals - the tourists tend to just be more openly friendly.

As much as I disliked much of the place Houston, TX was probably the most friendly place I've lived. People seemed to look for an excuse to meet people and have a good time. For example when there was a big traffic jam like we have here on the major highways when there is a wreck everyone there got out of their cars and trucks and talked to each other and had a good time. If someone had some cold beer they would break it out and share. Up here everyone pretty much stays to themselves in the same situation.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

have her PM me. I was raised here but just moved back almost 2 yrs ago, after spending ten years in TN. So I can relate and maybe answer questions from a womans perspective.
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Florida - and it's too HOT!

I'm planning on going back next year too. Good to hear someone else that's homesick for Alaska - as strange as that may seem to some.

I've been out of Alaska longer than 13 years and have never become accustomed to a hot climate. Though the winters can get long up there, I really miss the four seasons. I love having snow at Christmas - it's not a real Christmas without it, in my opinion.

And though summers are short and mild, you can still grow a lot of beautiful flowers and vegetables if you have space for it. I'm a gardener so that's the first thing I think of.

I suppose Anchorage is not as friendly as it used to be, since the population has grown tremendously. But you just have to get out and socialize! People are people no matter where you are in the world. You'll find friendly and unfriendly.

If you're planning on driving the Alcan, I hope you have a great trip. I've driven it several times and enjoyed it every time.

Anyway, I wish you well on your plans.