Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ice fishing in Alaska??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    62

    Default Ice fishing in Alaska??

    I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask

    You need an auger that can get through 6' plus in the interior (depending on lake and how cold it's been). I've hand drilled through 5' in the past couple years on a few lakes. The extending hand drill was very useful for this. A breaker bar is nice to have to do some final chipping if required.

  3. #3
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask

    Very simple........an auger extension. they sell extensions that give you about a foot more height.......because of this extra depth.....i like the most powerful auger that i can get......ahem.....jiffy torque. Auger extensions can be connected together too.....i have two of them myself.....but have never had to run two extensions yet.

  4. #4
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Very simple........an auger extension. they sell extensions that give you about a foot more height.......because of this extra depth.....i like the most powerful auger that i can get......ahem.....Strikemaster torque.
    Auger extensions can be connected together too.....i have two of them myself.....but have never had to run two extensions yet.
    I have an 18" extension and if last winter had lasted any longer I would have needed more.
    As it was I managed to drill a 64" deep hole with 60" of drill.
    I had to drill a 6" deep hole on either side of my main hole to finish the last few inches. Probably not going to have that problem this year though as it's been 10 degrees above normal in my area this whole winter so far.

  5. #5
    Member DanAKAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Now this is an extension!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQwKfnHPZc

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask
    Nope...can't ice fish in the interior or south central...way too much ice! Nothing to see here...move along

  7. #7

    Default and...

    you have to watch out for the really big ones!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zf-a5AD7gM

  8. #8
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post

    ok i believe the 10 foot of ice, but not the auger....i mean, wheres the ladder?



    Release Lake Trout

  9. #9
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default Wheres the ladder?

    I would guess they put the auger together in sections as they get to a comfortable depth they stop and add one. Probably didn't want to risk dropping a section so they pull the whole thing out and take the sections off where it is easier then do it all over again .
    Just my guess as thats how I would do it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have an 18" extension and if last winter had lasted any longer I would have needed more.
    As it was I managed to drill a 64" deep hole with 60" of drill.
    I had to drill a 6" deep hole on either side of my main hole to finish the last few inches. Probably not going to have that problem this year though as it's been 10 degrees above normal in my area this whole winter so far.
    you mischevious lil bugger!.......I saw where you replaced my words with strikemaster! good one.........

  11. #11
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    you mischevious lil bugger!.......I saw where you replaced my words with strikemaster! good one.........

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    62

    Default

    With the temps the interior sees, I would have thought most lakes would freeze all the way to the ground.....but not the deeper lakes. Just assumed there would be ice over 10 foot think.......especially when the temp is so cold, when you spit or pee, it freezes before it hits the ground.

  13. #13
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Drifter...

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    "little... bugger"... something doesn't quite compute there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •