Thread: Ice fishing in Alaska??

Default Ice fishing in Alaska??

I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I use to do a lot of Ice fishing in South Dakota and there were times when the 4 ft auger was not long enough to dig all the way through the ice, so we would use a bar to break though the rest of the the way. It gets quite a bit colder, during parts of the year, up in Alaska.....your you just talking about SE AK or can you ice fish in the interior? Just had to ask

You need an auger that can get through 6' plus in the interior (depending on lake and how cold it's been). I've hand drilled through 5' in the past couple years on a few lakes. The extending hand drill was very useful for this. A breaker bar is nice to have to do some final chipping if required.

Very simple........an auger extension. they sell extensions that give you about a foot more height.......because of this extra depth.....i like the most powerful auger that i can get......ahem.....jiffy torque. Auger extensions can be connected together too.....i have two of them myself.....but have never had to run two extensions yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Very simple........an auger extension. they sell extensions that give you about a foot more height.......because of this extra depth.....i like the most powerful auger that i can get......ahem.....Strikemaster torque.
    Auger extensions can be connected together too.....i have two of them myself.....but have never had to run two extensions yet.
    I have an 18" extension and if last winter had lasted any longer I would have needed more.
    As it was I managed to drill a 64" deep hole with 60" of drill.
    I had to drill a 6" deep hole on either side of my main hole to finish the last few inches. Probably not going to have that problem this year though as it's been 10 degrees above normal in my area this whole winter so far.

Now this is an extension!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQwKfnHPZc

Nope...can't ice fish in the interior or south central...way too much ice! Nothing to see here...move along

Default and...

you have to watch out for the really big ones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zf-a5AD7gM

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post

ok i believe the 10 foot of ice, but not the auger....i mean, wheres the ladder?

Release Lake Trout

Default Wheres the ladder?

I would guess they put the auger together in sections as they get to a comfortable depth they stop and add one. Probably didn't want to risk dropping a section so they pull the whole thing out and take the sections off where it is easier then do it all over again .
    Just my guess as thats how I would do it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have an 18" extension and if last winter had lasted any longer I would have needed more.
    As it was I managed to drill a 64" deep hole with 60" of drill.
    I had to drill a 6" deep hole on either side of my main hole to finish the last few inches. Probably not going to have that problem this year though as it's been 10 degrees above normal in my area this whole winter so far.
    you mischevious lil bugger!.......I saw where you replaced my words with strikemaster! good one.........

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    you mischevious lil bugger!.......I saw where you replaced my words with strikemaster! good one.........

With the temps the interior sees, I would have thought most lakes would freeze all the way to the ground.....but not the deeper lakes. Just assumed there would be ice over 10 foot think.......especially when the temp is so cold, when you spit or pee, it freezes before it hits the ground.

Default Drifter...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    "little... bugger"... something doesn't quite compute there.