Thread: gloves

Default gloves

anyone got a good recomendation for a snowmachine glove? i keep ripping the thumbs off regular gloves from pullstarting.
    Semper Fi!

Been using the Dakine Scout glove for a little over a year now and I really like them for sledding. They are super warm and durable and come with a 4 way stretch fleece inner glove. I bought mine on Steep and Cheap dot com and if I see them come up again I will get at least one more pair if not more. http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/glov...t/scout-glove/

I have Klim Togwotee gloves. Spendy ($100), but worth it. They have a fleece liner that is removable. Soft leather palms. They even come with water proofing gunk for the palms. Have had them two years now, and although I usually don't spend this much on gloves (had a gift card), I am glad I did. They are comfortable, and warm. Last year we came off the trap line, and it was -43, and my hands were warm with the hand warmers set on low. overall super happy with the gloves.

Default You might change the handle

there are a few different handles for the pull rope.
    I prefir mittens , years ago on an ice rescue both index fingers were sevirely frozen and are cold sensitive, so the mittens really work well.
    Wool is amazing too . Working on boats in the snow in the water I discovered that though the wool would get (wet of course) water would wick right away from my hand . In sevire situations I have treated leather mittens with the wool gloves inside.

well i was giving a set of cheap gloves for a birthday gift, so i will use them tell i can get a set of mittens.. i would like ot try some of them fancy ones, wheres a good place to buy them in town?
    Semper Fi!

Pearl Izumi "Barrier" gloves are very nice. Warm and waterproof. $70 @ Anch Yamaha last time I needed some. Klim has some good gloves but I don't prefer their coldest weather models. The best Klim source around here is at Anch Yamaha, too.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    well i was giving a set of cheap gloves for a birthday gift, so i will use them tell i can get a set of mittens.. i would like ot try some of them fancy ones, wheres a good place to buy them in town?
    Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking, on Spenard Rd. Has some really nice mittens, it seems I paid about $120 for mine. REI has the North Face mittens, but I shyed away from those because they are down filled.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking, on Spenard Rd. Has some really nice mittens, it seems I paid about $120 for mine. REI has the North Face mittens, but I shyed away from those because they are down filled.

i dont shop at REI because they are trying to shut down offroad motorized vehicles.
    Semper Fi!

Get an electric start.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i dont shop at REI because they are trying to shut down offroad motorized vehicles.
    For the record...I don't either if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Get an electric start.

i have electric start. but others dont.
    Semper Fi!

Ah, well you just need to ride with people who can start their own machines then.

My best gloves were purchased at K-Mart before they went belly up. They are gauntlet style with 100% leather glove portion, stiff nylon gaunlet, and a thinsulate and felt insulating liner. They were so comfortable that I went back and bought several pairs. I've worked my way through 2 pairs so far, with each lasting at least 2-3 seasons before the leather in the finger tips breaks down enough to start tearing out. But these gloves are awesome and I've never seen them sold anywhere else before or since. It will be a sad day when I wear out the last of them and have to search for riding gloves again.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Ah, well you just need to ride with people who can start their own machines then.

My best gloves were purchased at K-Mart before they went belly up. They are gauntlet style with 100% leather glove portion, stiff nylon gaunlet, and a thinsulate and felt insulating liner. They were so comfortable that I went back and bought several pairs. I've worked my way through 2 pairs so far, with each lasting at least 2-3 seasons before the leather in the finger tips breaks down enough to start tearing out. But these gloves are awesome and I've never seen them sold anywhere else before or since. It will be a sad day when I wear out the last of them and have to search for riding gloves again.
    what teh tag say inside them, i might be able to get them online.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Been using the Dakine Scout glove for a little over a year now and I really like them for sledding. They are super warm and durable and come with a 4 way stretch fleece inner glove. I bought mine on Steep and Cheap dot com and if I see them come up again I will get at least one more pair if not more. http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/glov...t/scout-glove/
    Same sorta story here. Runnin' DK gloves off Steep and Cheap, but its a pair of their short version (shorter gauntlet)

Seem like a great product and durable so far. I'd buy again for sure. I usually carry more than 1 pair of gloves, though, but these seem to always be with me

Wore 'em yesterday when doing some ditch-bangin' and riding with the kids...

I use Hestra heli gloves and have for the last 4 years. I was on a snow machine every day from late October through June for a couple of years and was skiing and boarding hard most of those days. They are a bit spendy but you will not find a better glove. The XCR models are what I picked up for this year.

They may be pricey but I've spend 10 hour days in -20 skiing and snowmachining and never complained about my hands at all. My toes in ski boots, that's a different story. Snowboard boots work sooooo much better in cold weather.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

All my son and I wear anymore. $14.99, insulated, water resistant, long lasting pig skin faces. Suitable for work gloves or riding. I sell them, I think AIH does too. I don't give a dang what they look like..LOL..

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have good luck with the Pinnical glove from Cabelas I don't joy ride am either trapping, hunting or hauling wood when I am out. They keep me warm and have leather palms that hold up with abuse. Another glove but not as good at holding up when handling wet traps in sub zero temps is the Northface monatanna glove. I bought my wife a pr of these for Christmas as she will only be riding and helping haul a bit of wood so they will hold up.
    Both of the above mention gloves have goretex linners sewn in so you stay dry all the time
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it