Thread: Need help! hosting Burbot fishing this weekend on Big Lake

Exclamation Need help! hosting Burbot fishing this weekend on Big Lake

I've got a friend coming up from Ninilchik who is !@#& hot on trying to catch burbot. We are going to try Big Lake this upcoming weekend, he is a life long fisherman and owns a VERY sucessful saltwater charter/lodge biz. But it is off season and the poor guy is bored so I get to take him burbot fishing- only one problem, I ain't ever done it!! so I turn to my fellow forum members to help me not embarrass myself. Please can anyone help a brother out?

I grew up on big lake and its a great place to fish for burbot. That is if its your day... sometimes they bit and sometimes not. Try fishing deep. I always had pretty good luck with anything that glows. well at least i did until i moved away from the valley... ummmm... heres a map. Let me know if you need me to "show you" would not mind going back up there.hahhahttp://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...tail/LakeID/10

On an exciting angling note, biologists have observed burbot in Alaska as large as 74 pounds

I call BS on this note.... ive caught some real "big ones" in a top secret lake near lake louise, and those were about 38-44" and maybe 18lbs.... ive never caught a burbot at big lake....yet.....i hope to change that this winter....only problem is big lake is bait restricted all winter...

Release Lake Trout

Default Did you say TOP SECRET?

Aside from the Osama Binladen hide out near Lake Louise does anyone have a better lake to try?

Looking at the new regulations, burbot fishing must have declined in big Lake since when i fished it about 5 years ago. We didn't have any problem catching them with artificials during the middle of the day. Always hit or miss but even when we didn't catch them, it seems like we would always seem them cruising by. We sight fish through the ice so we catch all of our Burbot in 1o to 20 feet of water, No need to go deep though I can't say I have tried so maybe there are more.

We use the standard dodger with a rubber minnow jig or a black bucktail jig. If you are fishing for burbot exclusively we have had some success in the past using very large spoons...real large like the 5 oz Krockadiles...like what they use in saltwater.

What used to work great on big Lake was the magnum rattle traps. But I never could get a proper single hook set up after they banned trebles that would hook fish and not tangle every time.

Default Thanks guys

Kardinal, H&F-AK, Brice; Thanks for your time and advice. I will keep you posted on the effort and if I find them I'll let you know where/how. Good luck and good hunting

Default Big lake burbot

How big are the Burbot you guys are catching out of Big lake?
    The kids, wife, and I are heading out next weekend for our first trip of the year, I am stoked. We are doing two nights and hopefully will start out the season with some fresh fish.
    Mark