Thread: Night on the prowl..

Default Night on the prowl..

We called two stands yesterday before we had to be at the girlfriends house for a late saturday thanksgiving dinner celerbration, and since she is the boss..... need I say more?? We had a yote crossing the field on our second stand but I think the wind was preventing him from hearing us. We ended up going out last night calling and I must say it was awesome!! The temp couldn't of been better as far as comfort levels sitting there for those long watiting situtations. The wind as blowing pretty good starting off the night though, and of course it died down as the night went on. Well with the 3/4 full moon and clear skies and the stars a twinkling, along with buddy to share it with was a kick in the pants. The first stand we went to, it was about 6pm and the wind blowing righ to left, put the FX3 about 50yds out and down a little from us and let her rip as we sat along the fence row. It was bright enough last night that with my Nikon bino's I could look out across the field 500yds....I know this cuz the range finder could pick up the grain bens and it took some crafy holding for me to be able to see the numbers in the moonlight. It wasn't 10 mins into it and here come a yote out of the woods we thought might be one holding up. He started out towards us, but then his brain kicked on and he started to wind us, now even though I could see him in the bino's and my buddy could see him in his scope, we didn't know how far he was to take a shot. All we knew was that he was between 450-520 yds as the only thing we knew of was the grain bens. Well he ran and stopped and then went back the way he came, and thought for sure he had to wind us and there wasn't really anything we could of done, other than pop a shot and educate yet another yote. So we called off and on a little bit to see if he wouldn't come back in, well either it was the same one confused on wether to come in or not or his partner, but that critter did the same thing as the first time and that was that. They kicked up a cow and calf moose as I seen them running across the field. So we learned of a better spot to set up at, "down at the grain bens". Now this is myself and buddies first time night calling and we had the spotlight that my girlfriend got me for christmas last year " bless her soul as she supports my bad habits, and even takes part in them pic of her below " and the FX3 and the moon, we had it all in the making. The next few spots didn't produce anything, so we headed out to my folks place.

Once we got out there we headed to this hayfield that was solid white and looked promising. As we sat down in the shadows of the spruce trees in the windbreak and the moon behind us, we placed the call about 40 yds again in a crosswind and let her rip. I told Ike where the critters will be coming if any were around. Well as I was bringing the bino's up to my face to scan the field I noticied a white blur zooming by us above the call. I didn't want to say anything as it was probably nothing and didn't want to sound like a fool to Ike, saying did you see that white ghost. So I went to scan mode. Ike then spoke up and told me to check this out, we had two owl's dive bombing the call. The white under bellys and wings looked like two ghosts dancing in the sky in the moonlight. As they turned topside they disappear, then back again looking like at times they were running into each other. Truly amazing thing to see, to bad I couldn't get it on video as it was to dark to video for my camera. Well that must of been good luck as here come a red fox trotting in. The adreline is building fast and the hearts are a pounding. Were trying to figure out the distance, flip over to the mouse squeaks, try to slow him down.......Ike's got the crosshairs on him saying should I shoot.......I'm like lets let him get closer cuz I don't know how far he is.....fox running in hard and using the wind and if we don't act soon he'll wind us. Well he gets into the grass, I see him in the bino's but not the scope. Ike can't see him, he winded us no doubt. Stupid me was all wrapped up into the moment that I didn't bother putting the light on him, stopping him for sure for the shot. You live and learn. Like I said were both new to the night thing, and I'm not used to using a spotlight, we laughed on that one on the way home. We called one more stand before calling it a night. Even though we didn't "Tag-n-Bag" anything it was an awesome night, full of action!! Now thats what I consider a night on the prowl!!!

Isn't my other hunting partner so darn cute all bundled up!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00797.jpg  

Excellent hunt report, Mike. One of the best I've read here, even though you didn't get anything. You captured the thrill of having something respond well.

Great hunt report!
    I went out Saturday night and found the same type of weather, simly amazing! We didn't have the success that you guys did but it was still fun to wonder around and do some calling at 1am. Finding good stand locations isn't so easy at night and we never could get into an area with good prey sign, much less good predator sign. I definately need to get out durring the day and do some scouting before my next trip!

Default Cute

Obviously, and I say this with all due respect, your partner is incredibly sexy.
    Question about your set up. You said:
    "...and the wind blowing righ to left, put the FX3 about 50yds out and down a little from us..."
    Does that mean you put the call to your left and down wind? If so I wonder why you did not place the call upwind from you far enough so that animals might be able to come between the call and you and not wind you? Just wondering out loud so others can chime in.
    As for the spotlight, is it a white or red light? What do other folks use? I have used red, but that hasn't helped as I am a poor caller. Not sure I could find fur if it crawled in my lap. But I always thought red did not spook them as they can't see it?
    Nice story though. Sounds like a great night out.

Mike will jump in here and explain his setup, but since you asked for opinions; If there is a significant wind I try to setup where the critter will have to cross an opening in order to wind me. Generally sit downwind from your caller and call into the wind if you can. Also, they can absolutely see red lights. I have seen coyotes and fox get shy even under a red light while night calling. Good luck.

Thumbs up

Na, I'm not that rusty!! We were setting up in a crosswind set up, we had the call out straight from us somewhat up wind, but I think with the wind howling as bad as it was made him a bit more sneaky. I do believe that if it was more calm out that he could of zig zagged in without going to the extreme of going all the way to the fence row. And the light I was using is the primos 250yd that my grilfriend got for me ( the sexy one in the pic above ) for christmas last year. I've heard they don't seem to mind it as much, but like I said I forgot to spot it onto the fox to give it the real deal shot. I'm wondering if maybe I needed to put it further out straight from us, cus the sitting downwind setup is blowing into some stands of woods and brush in the fields so, in my way of thinking sitting downwind from your call will bust ya more I think, I dunno maybe I'm wrong....anybody ele feel free here. That way they have to cross the open field or clearing to offer a shot, but like I said not used to the night calling that well, and during daylight hours it would of offered a shot for sure. And being at a crosswind set up they can't wind you as easy, and with the crosswind setup, your leaving more of a open door for anything downwind from the call to come running in. I'll post up the video of the fox I shot here soon, that turned out pretty good.

Funny thing we were out too Saturday night, but no luck at all, just a few small female buck which we left and the rams were too wiley.
    Our call did not work well either, too much moon and the setup was poor. Been my 4th time on a call, so far on 50% response and 100% kill on both those. Best hunting ever is on calling predators.
    Dont quite get the duck and turkey thing, are they that hard to stalk?

Default Hey Mike

The sexy woman in my life has been good to me too. She bought me my first outboard, a 88omc, first set of really good warm Cabelas Camo which I still have, a Stearns float coat, which I wear almost everyday on the water, and lots of other goodies. Women that think like yours and mine are keepers.
    I get the picture pretty well on the set up now. Not sure what else you could have done. You have to figure the animals are somewhere, and gamble a bit when you set things up.
    It's cooler than beans that you saw some. I've had a few come in that surprised me and left just as fast. And several came in from exactly where they should not have. Go figure. Guess I should stay away from Vegas too.
    I have not had any success in the wind, so it is good to hear about a guy that did. Maybe there are some good days that I have missed.
    It just got warm here in FAI, so maybe I'll try and jump out tonight or tomorrow night to try my luck with my old homebuilt car cassette deck caller in a lunch box. Never know, I might get lucky.

Yeah I'll be hitting it up when I get home, as I'm in Costa Rica right now. Going fishing tomorrow, but I still have my preadator extreme mag and preadator hunting books with me and read them all the way down and back home, so it's still on my mind!! And yes woman like those are keepers no doubt, as I just found out she got me the vistibule for my Artic Oven tent for our aniversiary. how sweet is that!! yeah those set ups are basically what I do and ya you just never know!

Default Calling

Great Hunt Report!!!! I grew up predator hunting on the east coast, mostly sitting over mass piles cow parts and past due deli meats. Iam not sure as to why the spot light is needed with a full moon and snow covered ground? I use a bushnell elite with the 50mm tube and that gathers a ton of light and it has the red dot in the center of the crosshairs very effective.

As far as my hunting report, I hunted a new area tuesday night, 35-40 deg. but the wind was blowing 100. A great night overall tho, getting out and exploring a new area. The next day was spent on the kenai fishing Rainbows- Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    Iam not sure as to why the spot light is needed with a full moon and snow covered ground?
    I've been wondering the same thing as well. I've been planning to hunt at night, but without the spotlight. I did it last year (without success) and had no problem seeing clearly through my scope. If it did stop the animal in their tracks, though, I could see the benefit. Obviously it would help on a cloudy or moonless night, but when the moon is full you may as well be hunting in the daylight.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

two things the lights for guys..

one like any light in the dark... when shined in the eyes they can not see you behind it... even though a red or blue light can not bee seen at all.. it is still a light that blinds them.. too strong a light will hurt their eyes and cause them to veer off with out knowing why...

the biggest reason is....

the EYES SHINE in the light so you can spot them further out. nothing like looking up and seeing the red or green... or yellow of the wolf shining back at you.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

the EYES SHINE in the light so you can spot them further out. nothing like looking up and seeing the red or green... or yellow of the wolf shining back at you.
    Well yes, obviously, but if you can see as far as you're willing to shoot without a light...why risk giving away your position by shining a light?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well yes, obviously, but if you can see as far as you're willing to shoot without a light...why risk giving away your position by shining a light?

do not use WHITE light and you give nothing away.. fox, yotes cats etc.. can not see red or blue.. or green lights...

you see them a hundred yards out.

and the light HIDES you... by having the colored light you keep it on the eyes untill they are in shooting range for that night...

you will see the eyes much sooner then you will the prey...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I can see using the light on a full moon night for stopping the animals in their tracks for the shot. We didn't need the light as much as I could see them through the bino's and the scope coming across the field, and if I was on my game would of put the light on them and maybe stopped them for the shot, a lesson learned for sure. I would think on a full moon all the light would be good for is to hold them up so they don't wind you as well as they did on us for the shot, but thats just me talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing as well. I've been planning to hunt at night, but without the spotlight. I did it last year (without success) and had no problem seeing clearly through my scope. If it did stop the animal in their tracks, though, I could see the benefit. Obviously it would help on a cloudy or moonless night, but when the moon is full you may as well be hunting in the daylight.
    An investment in a Gen 3 night scope is a good idea, the prices are getting more affordable with newer technology, Gen 3 is plenty.

It seems like makeing predators stop is a big task, I would think a light would scare them away rather than be helpful. The animals 99.9% of the time wont come in on a full out sprint, mostly a few steps and a pause, a short call or yip will stop them. Calling at night is very effective and also alot of fun. But you still need to be ontop of your game 100%.