Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 Marlin Express

Default 338 Marlin Express

Well, I couldnt resist. Mountain View was practically giving the gun away. I bought a Marlin 338 MX.

I hesitated despite the great price. I know Ammo is going to be a pain and expensive to get for awhile. But I really like what I see on paper with it.

I did find the dies though. I have bullets on backorder, but cannot even backorder the brass.

Has anyone seen the ammo for sale here in town? Anyone have any components they want to get rid of?

Also, If one were to buy accesories or bling for this gun, what model does it coincide with? the 336?

Good Greif! I was sitting here working the action, I think I cycled it like 5 times and the carrier rocker, pin and spring fell out! It locked it all up pretty tight too. I managed to get the action open, but now need to figure out how these parts go in. Not to mention, that seems pretty lame that parts just fall out.

Default Hmm?

I was actually thinking about picking one up, do they have anymore more?

I think midsouth shooters supply had brass and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Good Greif! I was sitting here working the action, I think I cycled it like 5 times and the carrier rocker, pin and spring fell out! It locked it all up pretty tight too. I managed to get the action open, but now need to figure out how these parts go in. Not to mention, that seems pretty lame that parts just fall out.
    You can bring it in and have it repaired under warranty

Thanks Ken, Ill do that, and maybe an action job too!

No they dont have any more Tom

Well, I've been reading about that model too. I have really fallen for lever guns and I was contemplating getting rid of the 300 win mag and replacing it with a 338 Marlin Express. If ammo and loading components are going to be that hard to come by though..... I think I'll hang on to the old 300 for a while. At least I've got my 1895M.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Yeah surfing around there isnt much for this cartridge yet. Some people have been messing around with loading a 250 round nose on it. They claim 2200 FPS. But the only published data I can find is from hornady and its just using the one 200 grain flex tip. I suppose the same data could be used for the 200 grain spitzer they make, but then you have to worry about that safety issue with them being in the magazine and all.

Speaking of that, Seams to me a guy would have to be pretty hard on his gun to make a bullet crush a primer in the magazine?

I've actually read about that happening during recoil. If you've got a sharp pointed bullet, I suppose it's possible. If I had the 338, I'd load just about any kind of bullet I wanted, and pick my favorite for the chamber, then the follow-up shots would be the polymer tipped or sp type to prevent detonation inside the tube.

And taking that one step further, you could have whatever bullet type you want in the front too - first one in the tube isn't resting on another shell so there's no risk there either.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default .338 Bullets

The problem with using the .338 250 RN bullets is that they were designed to operate at .338WM velocities, not sure how they would act when slowed down?

Then there is the flex-tip, or going to a specialty bullet like the hawk. Pretty limited selection. Hornady needs to come out with a 220-225 FP. I e-mailed them a year ago asking if they were going to produce such a monster, they said they have no plans.

Default rn

You can use round nose bullets with no problem in a tube feed. I have done so for years and know many others who do as well.

I stopped at Wild West and checked the gun in. While there I spied a good stack of the 338 marlin express ammo on the shelf. So they have it. Also spied a nice 308 marlin express in stainless with a fluted barrel. Dang near walked out with a guide gun in 457 wild west. But.....Had to calm down. One gun at a time

Dude was that you leaving when I was just coming in?

Did ya see me drooling from Novacaine? I'm getting a Gold Tooth! Word! G!

Yeah that was me

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Yeah that was me
    Word.

Make sure ya ask for me when ya come in. Yer gun be ready G spot, come get it

Thought I would follow up on this guns progress now that I have put some rounds downrange.

Accuracy of this gun has been really good. I havent scoped it yet, just using WWG ghost ring sights and I can keep groups within 2 inches at 100 yards. Reading posts over at marlinforums, it seems that everyone is getting just as good accuracy as me.

Recoil is not bad. Sharp and quick. Off the bench you can feel it pretty good, but off bench and you could probably shoot it all day.

There is some negatives though. Along with those parts falling out of the gun, I had to have the headspace redone on it, but again, Wild West took care of it under warranty.

Over at Marlin forums I have read a few complaints about the guns out of the box. Maybe Marlin is trying to put them out too fast I dont know.

Normally, I would be done with this gun, I dont tolerate issues well. But I really like it. It handles nice, Its accurate, and a great round for a lever action. Luckily my warranty issues have been painless.

Midway USA is showing that Remington is going to be making 250 grain loads for this, but they dont have any in stock. A search of remingtons website didnt turn up any info so Im not sure what to think.

Right now I am having wild west install their trigger happy in it.

Then i will play with it some more and if I still really like it then Im getting it parkerized and putting the scout scope on it. Then it will be my hunting rifle for this season.

Ammo has been easy to get from Wild west. But now I understand that reloading components are in stock at a few places and production is catching up.

Yeah, I heard Remington is coming out with an assortment of loads for this and all of the other Marlin/Hornady stuff. Rumor has it that we'll see new stuff with special Barnes bullets before the end of the year.

I shot one of these guns with an EOTech setp on it and am thinking of making one mine soon. I'll be sure to be cautious after hearing your issues. Thanks!

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default wwg

rimfirematt you will be happy with the new WWG trigger, you will also get better groups. I put the trigger kit in my guide gun last year and what a difference!! best trigger pull of any gun I have and that includes a timeny!

Default 338 marlin

I haven't seen any of this ammo around fairbanks, how much is it going for? Looking for a cheaper alternative to my 338 wm which cost 50-70 dollars a box

338 marlin express is 37 dollars a box here in anchorage

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I've actually read about that happening during recoil. If you've got a sharp pointed bullet, I suppose it's possible. If I had the 338, I'd load just about any kind of bullet I wanted, and pick my favorite for the chamber, then the follow-up shots would be the polymer tipped or sp type to prevent detonation inside the tube.

And taking that one step further, you could have whatever bullet type you want in the front too - first one in the tube isn't resting on another shell so there's no risk there either.
    Well, you know that different loads shoot different too, and which one is the gun sighted-in for?

What you have there with the 338 Marlin Express, is an attempt to make a Long Range gun, out of what was more like a short range proposition that lever actions tend to be.

Were it me, I might just stick to the Factory Loads, but I've said that before. Then I think, "All I need, is some dies, and some boolits, and I got the powder, and, and,,,,,,"

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast