Thread: Scarpa AT boots murdering my shins!

Unhappy Scarpa AT boots murdering my shins!

I went skiing up the Canwell Glacier this weekend to the lower hut in hopes of getting some turns in with my new Scarpa intuiton AT boots and my new skis. Normally when I ski backcountry I use koflach mountaineering boots and silverata bindings. The whole trip the left boot was murdering my shin. There was intense pressure on one spot right around the middle of the tounge. The boots have been thermo-fit and I loosened up everything that I could to no avail. Coming back I got it on my right shin a bit as well. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how it might be fixed?

In case anyone was wondering, we never made it to the hut. We got about 3 miles away and ran out of daylight. Ended up cramming 4 people into a 2 man tent. Then one guy came down with a stomach virus in the middle of the night and began vomitting violently. needless to say we dragged our sorry buts back to the truck the next day. Snow was still a little thin on the approach and not nice on your skis.

Thanks,
    Nick

"Shin bang" ain't much fun. The kid gets it pretty bad when he hikes in his alpine boots. There is a tape you can apply to your skin if it's just a friction thing rubbing you raw.

Giving up 3 miles out??? Didn't have headlamps, GPS and a map???

It's a pressure thing, not friction. Also, my toe was getting jammed into the from of the boot and now (a week later) my toenail is black and blue. I guess I will have to just take them out again and see what tweaking I can do.

As far as giving up, we had gps, map, and headlamps. The last section involves crossing a glacier that does have some cracks in it. Two of the guys had never done any glacier travel before. It wasn't something I wanted to attempt in the dark. November is a bad time to be on the glacier as well since the cracks may be bridged but not be able to support a skiier.

Default You must be weak

Ski a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody77 View Post
    Ski a lot more...
    Plenty Strong, just fatter. I still look better than you coming down the mountain. I just have to stop every three turns to catch my breath.