Thread: First Fox w/ call

Default First Fox w/ call

Got the first fox of the year with the call.. Coaxed him into about 20 yards or so.. .223 in the hear as he was broadside.. Then called in another one at the next set. but couldnt get a shot in all the thick brush.. after a minute he either winded me or womething as he took off.. also saw 1 wolf, but didnt have a chance at that.. and to my surprise, NO coyotes.. Also managed to get 3 ptarmagin, and the wife got 1 from the only covey I saw all weekend..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fox pic ppt.jpg  

Beautiful color Hoyt! Good job!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Man, that sounds like an excellent day in the field. I'll echo Huntress on the fox as well, that one is particularly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice Hoytguy. What were you using for a call?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Fox pro

I was using the electric fox pro, w. remote. This one was actually kinda dumb, I used cottontail in distress on accident.. none of them here.. but he came out and appeared in about 5 seconds.. the fresh snow made it easy this weekend.. All I did was fnd lots of bunny tracks, saw fresh fox tracks, and set up.. I am sure the fox were close hunting the hares.. out of 4 sets I made, I called in 2 fox. The one that got away was a real nice one.. I think it may have even been a cross as it was very dark with a cherry head, black ears and was HUGE>. But he lives another day and is educated I guess..

The fox I got is skinned and salted.. I plan on doing a leaping lifesize mount of it with a couple ptarmigans.. maybe even a snowshoe hare hiding and holding tight.. Haven't decided yet..

Sounds like an exciting trip. Good job on all your success.

Default Very nice

great story, great day, and great catch. What happened with the wolf? Did you call it, or was it just a by product of being out and about?
    That is a very pretty fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I was using the electric fox pro, w. remote. This one was actually kinda dumb, I used cottontail in distress on accident.. none of them here.. but he came out and appeared in about 5 seconds.. the fresh snow made it easy this weekend.. All I did was fnd lots of bunny tracks, saw fresh fox tracks, and set up.. I am sure the fox were close hunting the hares.. out of 4 sets I made, I called in 2 fox. The one that got away was a real nice one.. I think it may have even been a cross as it was very dark with a cherry head, black ears and was HUGE>. But he lives another day and is educated I guess..

The fox I got is skinned and salted.. I plan on doing a leaping lifesize mount of it with a couple ptarmigans.. maybe even a snowshoe hare hiding and holding tight.. Haven't decided yet..
    Pretty fast action there. Beautiful fox. Sure seems like lots of folks are getting critters now that it has turned to real winter. Foxes have really small territories so chances are if you go back to where you missed out on the cross you may see him again. Also, there are a lot of us using FoxPros now so changing up the calls will help rather than hurt. If it sounds like a hurt prey animal it doesn't matter whether we have them in AK of not they will come investigate, especially the young ones. They don't know what is here and what isn't. Let me know if you need a really clean snowshoe for your mount. I catch them with a hawk meaning they will not have bullet holes. Thanks for the post.

Default Thnxs

I may take you up on the hare at some point.. I have several froze in the freezer I took wiht either a shotgun and a couple with the .22 so we'll see I guess.. The cross I saw was actually by accident.. I had the whole family in the truck and seen some tracks cross the trail.. Not a road, but a makeshift trail.. So I stopped, set the foxpro on the roof and let r rip.. Maybe 3-4 minutes alternating volume, (just for kicks) I guess.. then BAM.. the sucker appeared to the left at about 20 yards at the 10 o'clock from my drivers door.. looking but sneaking in slowly.. I should have just blasted it form the truck.. But wasnt sure if it was legal even though I wasnt on a road... (the whole shoting on from or across thing), so I opened the door.. I got out fine, but when I put on fire.. He took off.. Urgggggg.. It was one heck of a fox and he came from the only place I didnt think he would.. Guess thats why they call em a FOX.. LOL..

One thing I have noticed though is when I call and the ravens come, then the magpies come.. I have birds circling all over.. On the fox their were literally 20-30 birds around.. Magpies, Greyjays and ravens.. and I predators have come into the call.. so I guess what I am trying to say is, If your calling and you get birds.. Stay still, and be patient.. Sooner or later something will more than likely come.. I bet 9 of 10 sets with birds this year have produced animals..

Default Wolf

The wolf actually crossed the road in fornt of us about 100 meters.. kinda hopping along, I sped up to where it crossed and it went out to a open area maybe 250 yards. It stopped for 2-3 minutes, then went another 100 or so and just sat their.. Howeverboth sides of the road was posted Native land.. Being posted I couldnt retieve it if I did shoot it without tresspassing.. So I figured to just let it go and eat all their moose and caribou.. since you have to have a permit to go on the land..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I was using the electric fox pro, w. remote. ... I used cottontail in distress ...
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Well done! It's been my experience that foxes will come pretty hard and fast to beat out any larger predators in the area. That being said, they will duck out just as quickly when they sense something is wrong. As for the cottontail, I've used that as well and it doesn't seem to matter much. A free hot meal is just that. The only trouble I've had with calls like that is when an area has been hunted hard with calls. The critters just seem to get call-smart. Again, good job !!
    PC gag in place.