Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rather interesting catch

Default A rather interesting catch

Well hubby stated that in 25+ years of trapping nothing like this had ever happened. We actually snared this guy, our luck, in a "No Firearms" area. The Y stick came in handy but they don't die easily. He was still alive once we got him home and we ended up dispatching him with a .22 short.

I'm getting this little pig mounted, I think it'll be a great conversation piece!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pig.jpg  
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

how low was your snare? They walk so low to the ground it would have to be 2 inches off the ground. I got one, one time when we got a bunch of snow; and the alder that my snare was connected to saged down lowering the snare 7 inches or so.

It was about 7-9 inches off the ground. He was caught just behind the front legs.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think you should have him mounted peeling the bark off a spruce hen....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That should be a pretty cool mount, I would be interested in seeing some pictures of what it looks like when you get it back from the taxidermist.

Hey that's a good idea Vince! (now just have to find that spruce hen with some bark) She said she was going to have some fun with it. I have complete faith she'll do a wonderful job on him, she's done quite a few but doesnt "like" to do them. I can only imagine why! LOL!

Have you found a taxidermist that will mount it? I got one in an otter set a few years ago and couldn't find anyone who would touch it.

Yea, we have a wonderful lady we deal with at Foxy Beaver taxidermy in Big lake. She does really good work. Like I said, she doesn't much care for doing them but was excited as we were when she saw it. We had been talking about a porky mount for sometime, just never really wanted to dispatch one just to mount it. The timing was good on this fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    The Y stick came in handy but they don't die easily. He was still alive once we got him home and we ended up dispatching him with a .22 short.
    What's a Y stick? Would you not just be able to shoot him, extenuating circumstances or something?

Charles-C, I think my first post stated we were in a no Firearm area. In other words no shooting. A Y stick is something we use to dispatch animals. Its nothing more than a thick stick that has the shape of a Y at the end of it. It's usually placed around the neck to hold the animal in place. Although its had many other uses.

Charles-C, I think my first post stated we were in a no Firearm area. In other words no shooting.
    I know I know, it just seems rather gruesome to be hauling around a half dead porcupine when a gun would dispatch it quickly. Then again, I have a weak stomach!

Ahhh sorry about that. We had thought he was dead before we put him in the truck, not breathing, no eye movement when we tested them etc..... But when I opened up the back of the truck he was waiting for me.

Over the years Ive heard horror stories about animals that have come back to life after being dispatched. One that really caught my attention was a wolverine in a plane, now that had to have been an interesting situation! At least the porky was in the back of the truck.

We had thought he was dead before we put him in the truck, not breathing, no eye movement when we tested them etc..... But when I opened up the back of the truck he was waiting for me.
    Goodness, that is a freakish level of durability for a small animal.
    This is probably a bit off-topic but why have a "No Firearms" area, that's not very practical in Alaska, especially when one is out checking their traps.

Nice one,lol! I catch one or two a year in my lynx cubby's. Little buggers are a pain!

Something about cat lure really pulls them in too
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I guess you just need to go talk to the State Department of Natural resources cause that's their law. We follow it, it said we may not discharge a firearm inside a park so we use other methods to enjoy our trapping.

I must admit, its rather odd. That's why we shared the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    Goodness, that is a freakish level of durability for a small animal.
    This is probably a bit off-topic but why have a "No Firearms" area, that's not very practical in Alaska, especially when one is out checking their traps.

Steve we've caught plenty in traps, mostly in our martin sets. But this snare was set for fox, this was a first. None-the less, it'll make a cool mount, I can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Nice one,lol! I catch one or two a year in my lynx cubby's. Little buggers are a pain!

Default You say "came back to life?"

Kinda reminds me of my old dog team from back in Dakota. Notice how "Lively" they look and how eager they are to get going!
    Wasn't as many greenies in the land back then and a fellow could get away with running the hair off em.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Image.jpg  

Now that's just bad!! If Charles was squeamish with just reading my story he should really have a problem with that photo.

That's an awfully small sled.

I wonder if a pellet gun would be legal, I don't think they are classified as a firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast