Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat horn for a pike

Smile Flat horn for a pike

thinking of going to flat horn for a pike Anybody know how the ice is on the little Sue?or a good way to git there?

Default Does not look good.

I just talked to a group of guys who went to Figure 8 yesterday and Flathorn last week. They said both places were very slow fishing and only a few small fish caught. Said yesterday was the first time they went out there and did not catch a fish on a tip up.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Did they go out there on snow machines or 4 wheelers. i was thinking about heading out there, but i can decide what to take.

You could take either and get in no problem. I've been going there for 4 years and have never had a problem taking my 4 wheeler.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

flathorn= waste of gas money........even if ur machine is a four-stroke

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    flathorn= waste of gas money........even if ur machine is a four-stroke
    Yup. These lakes have been ruined. The pike derby inspired people to go out and start keeping all they caught to win that stupid derby.... and now a great fishery has been laid to waste. Now we're left with a lake with a few pike and nothing else.

I went to flat horn 3 times this summer and only a couple pike. Last summer they were thick. It been hit pretty hard.

Default figure 8

figure 8 isnt' any better. four of us fished on Sunday and only got 7 small ones. Not much snow but enough to keep the sleds wet. After last nights warm blow I would think that a wheeler would be the only way out there. Not really worth burning the gas to get there in my opinion.

I'm going to try alexlander lake here when it get colder and all the over flow is off the lake. GOing to fly out with the the old man for a day of pike fishing. Since them two lakes are dead..............Anyone ever ice fished there

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I just talked to a group of guys who went to Figure 8 yesterday and Flathorn last week. They said both places were very slow fishing and only a few small fish caught. Said yesterday was the first time they went out there and did not catch a fish on a tip up.
    Those lakes were something 10 plus years ago. Then people found out. Rust's started flying people out and the pike were stacked up like cord wood. Downhill every since.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I remember just a few years ago we were regularly doing great. We never kept many fish but I saw guys keeping tons of them at the time and I knew it wouldn't last long.

Thats true. Last year I went out and fished Flathorn all day for one flag. Waste of time. But I'll go again. I like the punishment I guess...
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I hear ya there. Went once to Figure 8 last year for 2 20' fish and nothin else. I figure we'll go there once just to enjoy the good ride out there. I just hate having to drive to hell and back to catch a few pike. All the valley lakes with road access SUCK.

I remember just a few years ago we were regularly doing great. We never kept many fish but I saw guys keeping tons of them at the time and I knew it wouldn't last long.

I'm a little confused.....are you referring to mat-su pike? The state wants them eradicated from the mat-su waters.....that is why the fishing sucks.....because they and others.....want them gone. If you want to enjoy a pike palace........there are places up north where they are native where the fishing is phenomenal on real monsters well above 40 inches in length. I love pike fishing but fully understand that like usual.....i have to "truck-pool" up north and do a little snowmachining to get to my pike holes.

I'm a little confused.....are you referring to mat-su pike? The state wants them eradicated from the mat-su waters.....that is why the fishing sucks.....because they and others.....want them gone. If you want to enjoy a pike palace........there are places up north where they are native where the fishing is phenomenal on real monsters well above 40 inches in length. I love pike fishing but fully understand that like usual.....i have to "truck-pool" up north and do a little snowmachining to get to my pike holes.
    I was referring to Flathorn and figure 8. They were excellent lakes and you didn't have to drive all over to have a good day of pike fishing.

I have fished nearly every lake with pike in it here in the valley and right now, there are alot of lakes with a few pike in them but not many. I have never caught a pike bigger than 34" here in the valley. And that came out of one lake. The next biggest I have pulled out of a valley lake was 25".

Mainer we should swap info sometime.

I have fished nearly every lake with pike in it here in the valley
    wow, that's impressive...there are over 100 valley lakes that have pike in them...you're a busy guy.......

oh yeah, the bigger ones are out there in the valley...too much good feed for them to not get that way....but you are mostly correct, the easy to get to pike fishing is going down hill, but 'getting there' is half the fun....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

No doubt. We need to have a pike fishing derby on Redshirt Lake this year. That used to be a trophy rainbow lake and a red salmon spawning lake. Now nothing but a bunch of pike and a few lake trout. I have heard that a pike was caught out there a few ounces under the state record.
    That's what she said...

There was a VERY LARGE pike caught out of Redshirt back in 1997. Like 52" and and 37#.

I put some intensive effort of about three days into redshirt.....it was very very slow. there was only one spot where i saw pike being pulled out with any frequency, and they were all pretty small. Redshirt is not "full of pike", i can attest to that. The kids i took out there.... were able to pull out one that was around 34 inches or so.....the kids i took really enjoyed that trip even though it was slow. I have a pic of em holding the pike.....he attacked two seperate baits and got two lines tangled up under the ice......pretty nasty fella. I had to respool one tip-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went out to Redshirt Lake Spring of 2008 and I didn't even get a bite. I've been wanting to get out there in the winter but have never made it. I wonder if the population has collapsed out there. The last time I have seen lots of pike at Redshirt was 2004. The bank was lined with them right at the trail (shameful waste of meat.) I also talked to a park ranger out there and he said he hadn't seen a single pike caught that spring (2008). Maybe the pike can become part of out ecology down here but it might take 100 years for everything to level out.

What year did you go out there mainer?
    That's what she said...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast