Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which recoil pads really work?

Default Which recoil pads really work?

I am going to change the factory installed recoil pad on an old Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. Not having kept up with all of the latest trends, I was hoping for a suggestion from informed forum members as to which, if any, recoil pads available today really work.

Some will probably want to suggest that I install a muzzle brake but because of the noise, I do not want to do that. It is a new recoil pad or nothing. So call me hardheaded. You would be right.

I gotta say that the very best recoil pad I've ever used doesn't even go on the rifle. It's a PAST pad that goes on my hunting coats or vests, whether pinned on or in a special pocket. That really spreads out the recoil. I shoot a lot of big boomers, and my problem with most of the new breed of recoil pads is that they're so squishy. Adjust the length of pull just right and get the scope mounted just right for eye relief, and when that pad squishes, you could easily end up wearing the scope. I've also got some boomers that are simply too valuable to go hacking on the stock and adding recoil pads. Yet long as my arms are, the slip-on varieties make the guns too long. Try the PAST pad. I'm betting you'll like it without hacking on your rifle.

I really like the recoil pad that came on my Hogue stocked 375 Ruger. I have shot a buddies Rem 700 375H&H, it hurts and mine doesn't.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/recoilpads.html

I'm not sure if the accessory pad is the same as the production unit but I would bet that it is.

I love my Limbsaver pad. It tames my .358 Norma nicely. It is no big deal to shoot at all, and that gun is no slouch in the recoil department. I have heard some people complain about it being kind of sticky and collecting dirt, but I have not had a problem with that.

I like the PAST shoulder pad as BB said but I also like the limbsaver and decelerator.

I like the limbsaver the best of the after market recoil pads. The install on my remington systhetic stock couldn't be easier.

Love the pachmyer (spelling) decelerator.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Me too, like KRS.

LimbSavers are good, much better than the old hard pads that were on with many rifles,

BUT the Pachmayr Decelerator are GREAT, as far as how much difference they make in felt recoil.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'll agree with BB that a PAST is a very fine addition for heavy recoiling rifles and repeated shotgun use. I still prefer that my rifles use a quality pad of some type, but the PAST is a godsend. As for recoil pads, the only three I use very much are the Kick-EEZ, LimbSaver, and Pachmayr Decelerator.

I really like the Kick-EEZ for shotguns (used one on a trap gun for several years) and for modest recoiling rifles. It is soft enough to take out the bite, but it still allows a lot of control under recoil and they have proven very durable on my guns.

The LimbSaver is a very soft pad and eliminates a lot of felt recoil, but being very soft it allows the gun to move/shift under recoil. I've found it to be a hindrance on a trap gun, but others may find it works okay for them. They are relatively new so I have no idea how well the LimbSaver will hold up over time, but being I just ordered a McMillan for my 416 RM with a LimbSaver I guess I'll find out.

The Decelerator is a first rate pad. It is not as soft as the LimbSaver, but it adds more felt reduction IMO than the Kick-EEZ. It is stable enough to allow fast follow up shots and it is an extremely durable pad. I've been using them for 20 years or so and I've one on a 338 WM that has been fired several thousand times that looks as good as it did when it was installed. I'll also add that the Decelerator grinds/finishes the best IMO. They come in black, brown and a very attractive red and have a variety of styles and thicknesses to choose from. Hard to go wrong with a Decelerator pad.

Limbsavers are probably the best I have delt with as far as recoil, but they gum up when in contact with carpet or other fabric. If your anal retentive about the apearance then don't place it in the corner on carpet butt down! I also have several Pachmyer decelerator pads. They work very well, but not quite as well as the Limbsaver, but close. They however are more stable and aren't affected by contact with carpet.

Brett

Tuff to beat the Pachmayer Decellerator. Its been around for a while, comes in different thickness, is easy to grind to the stock for a nice fit.

Limbsaver. I have one on a Tikka T3 Lite.
    Now what ?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Limbsavers are probably the best I have delt with as far as recoil, but they gum up when in contact with carpet or other fabric. If your anal retentive about the apearance then don't place it in the corner on carpet butt down! I also have several Pachmyer decelerator pads. They work very well, but not quite as well as the Limbsaver, but close. They however are more stable and aren't affected by contact with carpet.

Brett
    I bought 2 Limbsaver pads, the grind to fit kind, and had them installed by my Gunsmith. In a very short time, they became sticky, one MUCH worse than the other. It eventually stuck to almost everything. I had to get it replaced, and chose a Decelerator.

I'm still using the other one, and it does reduce the felt recoil, but it's not lookin real good on the surface, so I'll probably hafta replace it too.

I heard or read somewhere that when you use the Limbsaver "grind to fit" pads as opposed to the Pre-fit ones, and they get heated up with the grinding, they will get sticky.

I have a slip-on Limbsaver pad, that hasn't given be any grief.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I love the slip-pn limbsaver. Drops the 338 nicely but best of all it bumps the LOP to a better length.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I bought 2 Limbsaver pads, the grind to fit kind, and had them installed by my Gunsmith. In a very short time, they became sticky, one MUCH worse than the other. It eventually stuck to almost everything. I had to get it replaced, and chose a Decelerator.

I'm still using the other one, and it does reduce the felt recoil, but it's not lookin real good on the surface, so I'll probably hafta replace it too.

I heard or read somewhere that when you use the Limbsaver "grind to fit" pads as opposed to the Pre-fit ones, and they get heated up with the grinding, they will get sticky.

I have a slip-on Limbsaver pad, that hasn't given be any grief.

Smitty of the North
    Sounds plausable. I still think the Limbsaver is SLIGHTLY more forgiving, but considering my abhorance for the look of the slip-ons I'd have to give the Pachmayer the thumbs up from now on.

Brett

The Pachmayer decelerator was a great addition to the .375 Weatherby I used on Kodiak. After the first trip to the range With the old pad I was not going to ever shoot that rifle again.

Then I put on the Pachmayer it made the rifle reasonable to shoot. Mostly it stuck the rifle to my shoulder where the old pad slipped around.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Just another vote for starting with the past

I like the pachmeyer old english decelerators, maybe not the squeshiest softest pad, but it shoulders well and looks good.

Seriously, if you don't have a past shoulder pad, you need to get one. I doubt I would have had two 458 lotts and a 500 Jeffrey if I didn't use a past pad.

From what everyone has said, I think the Pachmayer decelerator recoil pad will best suit my needs. On the other hand, the PAST pad certainly is interesting and something I had never considered.

I guess my biggest question about the PAST pad is how it affects the length of pull. In hunting weather, you are wearing heavier clothing than normal which lengthens the pull some. Add the PAST pad and you lengthen pull even more. It seems this could change how the rifle fits and cause a problem with accuracy. But maybe I am looking for a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I guess my biggest question about the PAST pad is how it affects the length of pull. In hunting weather, you are wearing heavier clothing than normal which lengthens the pull some. Add the PAST pad and you lengthen pull even more. It seems this could change how the rifle fits and cause a problem with accuracy. But maybe I am looking for a problem here.
    I do not wear it when hunting, except occasionally for waterfowl. The PAST is primarily to make extended shooting sessions more comfortable and since you only fire a handful of shots in the field after big game recoil is not as much of a problem.

Waterfowling is a bit different and I simply wear the PAST over my first layer of clothing, Underarmour or the like. The heavier clothing on top keeps it in place and though it extends LOP a bit, it's not an issue for me in the field.

Do people actually HUNT with those Past pads on? I always presumed folks were just using them for bench shooting but firing the rifle with whatever recoil pad it had while hunting. I certainly would not want to wear something like that under mly clothes all the time while hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast