Thread: Eat Porcupine..??

Default Eat Porcupine..??

Anyone out there tried Porcupine..??.. Have a recipie..??.. Would it be best ground for burger or breakfast sausage (bulk)..??.. Thanks for any suggestions......Fishon62..........

Thumbs up not as good as beaver

Yes, I've eaten porcipine many times. Fresh roasted over the campfire is great. It's alot like beef, use it the same way (stew, etc), just be carefull to cook it fully, as they usually have tape worms. The young ones are best, more tender.

They are really hard to sneak up on and bag tho. lol

Tom is correct porkies are not at all bad table fair. Folks back in Michigan made pasties out of them fairly frequently. A pastie is a finish meat pie with potatoes, carrots, onion, rutabaga and "mystery meat."
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

We have tried it roasted and made into PORKY BURGERS . Yes you have to do it well done . YUM YUM !! Going to try one in the crock pot let you know how it turns out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

crock pot BBQ

oh boy some tasty stuff right there now....

dutch oven over the fire for a nice stew.. MMmm

it is a little greasy up front.. but some good stuff it is.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Fishon, Doyou need food assistance?

If you are down to eating porkies it either tells me you are, one- just trying to be an Alaskan sourdough or , two- you are down on your luck and porkies are easy to kill. That said, You gotta be nuts to think of eating that stuff more than a couple of times in your life. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten a lot of wild stuff, to include oppossum. There is nothing in this world uglier than a possum skinned out. In my older age I guess I have mellowed out. So go try your porky but PM me if you find it on the menu more than twice a month. I will share what is in my freezer!!!!

Default Eat Porki....

Thanks for the replys gents, looks like at this point it is 5 to 1 - for the porki... And to the whop, lived here all my life (47) island is closed to all big game hunting...Simply....I just gotta be in the woods, and if I'm in the woods... I'm packin...If I'm packin...I'm shootin .....I eat what I shoot....

Fishon62's thought for the day: "Eat Wild Salmon...The Other Pink Meat"

Porcupines here are a delicacy and after a hunting trip alot of arguments can result on who gets to take it home. I have not tried it personally so dont have any recipes, generally though its made into stew and eaten with maize meal.

"Heard Tortoise is also good?"

Default Uhhhhhggghh..

Had beaver, that sucked. If given the choice to eat another critter like beaver or porky, I'd choose ramen noodles. If you deep fat fried it and put enough Sweet Baby Ray's on it, a lot of Sweet Baby Rays, then I suppose you could have yourself a meal that you could swallow. Good Luck!

Thumbs up Yum...

I was treated to a meal of porcupine liver, fried up with some sausage, diced potatoes, and onions up the Talkeetna a couple of years ago. The sausage lent a savory flavor, without covering up the liver, which was surprisingly good -- not so much iron flavor like beef liver. If offered another meal like that, I'd wash up for supper!

My mind, heart and soul is somewhere in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    Had beaver, that sucked. If given the choice to eat another critter like beaver or porky, I'd choose ramen noodles. If you deep fat fried it and put enough Sweet Baby Ray's on it, a lot of Sweet Baby Rays, then I suppose you could have yourself a meal that you could swallow. Good Luck!
    Cast&Blast,

Are you saying porkies and beaver taste alike? I haven't had porkies yet, but, I have had beaver roasted and made some into jerky. Both was pretty darn good. I would tend to believe the preparation and cooking methods would greatly effect the taste of either critter.

Ralph

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that you have to be poor to even think of eating porcupine. Well when I was a kid we were dirt floor poor. We ate quite few things off of the trap line. Porcupine and beaver both were good, raccoon is good if they do not come off the creek bottoms, beaver was great and is still one of my favorite Thanksgiving memories. Squirrel is great and muskrat is good too. The one thing I will never eat again though is opossum! The best you will ever eat; cougar. Bar none the very best piece of meat I have ever had.

I might not have tried some of those critters if I was a rich kid growing up, but I am glad that I got the opportunity. BTW, I like ramen noodles too and I think you have to poor to even be allowed to buy it

Hey, sometimes you do what you gotta do! When I was down and out I was just thankful that I had the skill to go out and kill several of the mentioned critters; just so I could eat! True Story And no, I wouldn't eat possum, went w/o that day!
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

I tried porky one time, and that was after all else failed.

There's a reason that those things move so slow, it will be so you can survive in a bad spot.

Soaked that thing in salt water for 20 hours, then cut it up for stew, and cooked it for another 8 hours and dang that thing was bad, but I ate it.

You would think that after eating beens and rice , and grayling for three months prior to this, I would be gratful

Unless those things are around a dog I'm with, they can keep on slowly working there way to whatever destination they are going.

Default Porcupine, like spruce chicken...

... is best eaten when they are eating sweet vegetation. Late spring porkies are fat and sweet tasting. We used to pot roast them whole with vegetables in a turkey roaster until the meat fell off the bones. Same with beaver.

I would not eat a porcupine in the winter unless I was starving.

Don't forget to roll them around in a small fire to burn off the quills before you skin them. Sure makes it a lot less poky.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Cast&Blast,

Are you saying porkies and beaver taste alike?

Ralph

Admittingly, I've never eaten a porkie. My buddy shot one (in the winter) and felt bad about killing something he would not eat or use, so he gutted it and cut off some of the meat for stew. Needless to say, the smell reminded me of the nasty geriatric beaver I remember chewing for what seemed like an eternity before I spit it where it belonged.

I'm sure you're right, preparation is everything. Who knows, maybe it would have been better than it smelled? I just havn't gotten over the "wet-dog" taste in my mouth to try eating porkies.....maybe I haven't been hungry enough. I would classify myself as an adventurer and have eaten a number of things that didn't belong in my mouth (thanks Bear Grylles for that one), but I think for now I'll keep porkies on the "haven't eaten YET" list.

I'm not judging, just admiring someone elses ability to recognize palatable morsels in curious places.
    Last edited by Cast&Blast; 12-16-2009 at 01:09. Reason: addition

Default WoW....!!!..

Did not emagine this topic would get the life it did...Thanks for the replys and opinions...Going off to Never Ever Land for the duration of the winter...(Watchmen at a lodge on Admiralty Island)..Besides the smoked fish, deer jerky, and slabs of moose steak I've put up, guess whats on the menu Christmas morning......Porky Breakfast Sausage....Merry Christmas to you all and God Bless.........

....woah!--good meat; although beaver and muskrat are a lot tastier, in my opinion...
    - anyway...save the nice big quills and give them to someone who likes to dye and use them in their handicrafts-
    -when the porky is still alive, just run up with a towel, or your shirt, or something and snap it at them,on the butt...-then, you'll have your bunch of quills-

-be sure to take out the scent glands-

-I have eaten porcupine only twice; both times boiled, after first soaking the meat in very diluted vinegar,a tad of non-iodized salt, and a lot of soda(Coke-not Pepsi)-for 12 hours outside in a propped open cooler
    -pat dry; rub liberally with coarse salt,black pepper,garlic,brown sugar,Worchestershire sauce, lots of chopped onion,and paprika ....chill in the fridge, or dry cooler outside for another 12 hours...
    -boil 10 mins, then simmer for an hour with wild rice, and whatever else you want to throw in there....

-I have heard of it eaten curried, or barbequed

-To me, it tasted like a cross between Labrador Tea and Spruce boughs-

-I read somewhere that you can boil the whole animal first in a big pot for good while, and then the quills come out real easy (had read that years after I ate them...-wish I had known that then-lol-)

-they can't see very well;
    -throw a soaked large towel on them, and then a round piece of net; have your net prepared prior to your "porcupine hunt" with the edging rigged up like a purse seine...use a looooooong piece of line-
    -tie your bounty on a pole, and shoulder it home or back to camp-

-I run into them a lot(more than I would like), and almost always at dusk when they are foraging-
    -they are so cute...and make the funniest sounds-