Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut reel help needed

Default Halibut reel help needed

I am looking to buy my buddy a new halibut reel for Christmas. I need to know what to buy him. i dont want an expensive top dollar reel just a good solid reel. I use a Fin Nor 950 spinner for halibut and i love it. He likes the old conventional reels and his is falling apart. What should i be looking at? Remember i am on a budget so lets not break the bank. Thanks!!

Penn Senator. A lot of people use them and they are inexpensive.

How important is it to have the level wind feature? Will the line lay OK on the reel without it? Thanks again for your help!

Avoid level winds...they will break eventually. Look at the Fin Nors @ B&Js...reasonable price for a quality/light reel.

AK
    I live in MN but have buddies that could head to BJ's to pick one up. How much do they run?

Ive seen them on ebay for 180 and up.

Good reviews as well but Ive never used one.

look for an avet pro 4/0 The dont make that model anymore unfortunatly. It's a sweet reel. If you do get one..a tip...fill it full of redgrease. Probably dont need to as a hobby fisherperson..but it's slick for someone who fish's every day! You'll still need to clean it oh every other month of every day of fishing...she's easy to open up clean out and regrease! not to mention it's a 2 speeder. I think new they were 3 or 400...you can find them for 200 used, maybe less and they're much better reel then some cheaper end ones imho.

You don't need a level wind. Just use your thumb to guide the line.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    AK
    I live in MN but have buddies that could head to BJ's to pick one up. How much do they run?
    http://www.finnorfishing.com/offshoreconv.html

I use the OFC20L with 1,000' of Sufix 80/65lb. braid.

The price on my model was around $120 iirc.

What type of rod is he using? Many people have gone to lighter jigging rods and hence lighter reels. You don't need a monster spool when using braided line, hence a smaller reel, that has enough drag and strength will work for halibut.

While I've used many penn senators, I've replaced them with shimano told 20's, but single and dual speed. The tld 20 single speed runs about the same price as the 113 high speed senator, but IMHO the shimano is a better reel.

Default Halibut reel

I picked up a Daiwa Saltist 40 last year and it seems to fit the bill fine. Very solid reel, holds 300 yds of 65# braid (~250 80#) has a good drag, very smooth. They can be found on E-bay between $150 and $180. I think Bass Pro has them for less than $200.
    Last edited by Alan Sloka; 11-30-2009 at 12:01. Reason: typo

any one found and left hand halibut sized reels? i reel lefty and feel like i am relearning to fish with a right hand real

I love using level winds as well as the Avets. Never had a level wind break during halibut fishing.
    Favorite reel for under $200 is a Tekota 800 followed by either a Penn GTI 330. The 345 is nice but to big.
    Tennessee

I like the Penn senator. They are inexpensive common and tough.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Thumbs up

A Penn Lever Drag 330 is an awesome reel. I love them.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Because an important consideration for you is price, I also cast a vote for the Penn Senator.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    You don't need a level wind. Just use your thumb to guide the line.
    You don't need a rod either, just use a hand line . . .

(Certain tools sure make the job easier tho! )

Default Penn Senator is great if....

Your hands still function well and you can do the thumb thing to lay the line in place of a level wind. When that became a problem for me I went to the Penn GTI series. My son caught a 244 lb. halibut on a 310 GTI, but I recommend the Penn GT2, holds more 80 lb. super braid than you will ever need, dependable drag (halibut fight mostly up and down, so you don't need a lever drag or a super drag on more costly reels, or a 2-speed IMO). You can get the GT2 or a GTI 340 if you want to go a little bigger for under $150. By one in Alaska...or if you live elsewhere, in your local town. Unless....you are in northern Idaho like me, then you have to buy online, Ebay, Cabelas etc.

The more years we fish for halibut the smaller reels we use. Most reels have a drag strong enough to pull the rod out of our hands as it is. Much easier to go lighter, especially when jigging.
    Tennessee

We have been using Garcia 7000 reels with 65lb test PowerPro line for the last 4 years. Works well, no problems.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast