Thread: Lewmar windlass alternatives

Default Lewmar windlass alternatives

Any thoughts/experience with an alternative reliable windlass, I have gone through two Lewmar 700's in the last 4 years. At about $1,000.00 each I almost want to go back to the bouy & ring arangement. I usually anchor up in less than 100 ft of water and average about 4 sets per trip about every other week from June to September. This last summer I even went to pulling the 25' of chain by hand to go easy on the equipment.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEVE&%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Might this be something your looking for?? Electra Dyne windless. Please email if you have any questions.
    ED ******head.jpeg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Which 700 - horizontal axis or vertical? What's failing on your 700?

My 600 (horizontal) is 11 years old, with 500+ nights at anchor in BC and SE AK.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

In my own opinion the Muir is the best. I use the atlanic 1200. I use this windlass just about everyday 100 days a year. Anchoring in water 150-400 feet sometimes pulling 2-3 times. The winch is 3 years old and its starting to wear out I plan on replaciing this year. But considering the use I've put it through I'm pretty happy. The Storm is the new model and is S/S versus the Chrome. I think they run about $1,800.00 with switches. I've installed 4 of them and can buy them at a discount through my Buisness. If you need more info PM me.
    http://www.imtra.com/product/anchoring_systems/muir.htm

Default ez anchor puller

If you have room the ez anchor puller is one of the best. It is a drum type set up power with a ramsey winch. Installed 1 in 1993 and never had any problems.

Default Newmoon

It is the horizantal , no quick release, the first one had the motor go out because of using it in a low voltage situation. The dealer sold me a new boat with a bad alternator and I took it back three times that summer where the charged the batterys and said everything is fine. Another repair shop checked the output from the alternator. The second one just stopped bring up the annchor line late this summer, down but no up... oh well

That why I purchased the 1000 series - a small incremental cost increase but with a decent increase in weight / pulling capability. I'll let you know how it works out - too early to tell after only 1 season. So far, so good.

Default Lewmar windlass 700 Pro Free Fall 50 weekends

I have used Lewmar windlass 700 Pro Free Fall for about FIFTY weekends. I have used two to four times a week from 20 feet to 300 feet of water. Still runs good with no issues at all, it is installed on 28 Kingfisher with 600 of rode, 50 of chain and 22# Anchor.
    Are you pulling your boat to the Anchor with windlass or are you motoring your boat to the Anchor while running the windlass?
    How long is your boat and what # anchor do you use?
    One thing you should check is gauge of the wire from windlass to the switch and from switch to the batter, and make sure they are proper gauge for the AMPs you are using.

Default Check it out!

What ever you replace it with check the voltage drop from the power source (battery) to the motor. A bad connection, relay, ground, wire, or under sized wire will shorten the life of a properly sized motor.

Another possible cause of failure is not cleating off the line when you're at anchor. The windlass (my 600, at least) has an anti-reverse bearing which can be damaged by this.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default Luke

I have a similar set up to you, 400' of line 25' of chain and a 22 lb anchor, think the osprey is about 8,000lbs. I always idle the boat forward to the point where I am over the anchor then stop the wench and power to one side or the other still going forward to break the anchor loose from the bottom. After the anchor is loose i wind it up, usually with the boat in neutral and I increase idle rpms up to about 2000 to get a boost from the alternator. I anchor in usually sandy or rocky bottoms, no mud the line comes up clean. I run a heavy marine wire up to the wench and I think it can handle the load, my airplane mechanic was impressed by the arangement.

I am working on a 1986 Sea Ray 300DB Sedan. The rode locker is only designed for about 200'. I have decided not to buy a new windlass because we normally have 400-600' of rode. I just don't think a windlass would be cost effective. Ring and buoy and a box on the bow will be the norm for me.

Besides I have a manual windlass.....the admiral....wife....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Thanks, Luke....

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    I have a similar set up to you, 400' of line 25' of chain and a 22 lb anchor, think the osprey is about 8,000lbs. I always idle the boat forward to the point where I am over the anchor then stop the wench and power to one side or the other still going forward to break the anchor loose from the bottom. After the anchor is loose i wind it up, usually with the boat in neutral and I increase idle rpms up to about 2000 to get a boost from the alternator. I anchor in usually sandy or rocky bottoms, no mud the line comes up clean. I run a heavy marine wire up to the wench and I think it can handle the load, my airplane mechanic was impressed by the arangement.
    Luke, that's a great technique for reducing the load on the anchor winch by motoring up to it and using the boat to gently break the anchor free before continuing to retrieve it, thanks for the great idea!