Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane Tank

Default Propane Tank

Someone somewhere told my dad that they use a standard size propane tank and bury it in the ground. They crack the valve just barely. The bears smell the propane and come in supposedly.

Now I know bears like to chew on rafts, gas cans, planes, and seems like whatever has petroleum products in it or made from it. I am not sure who told him, but believe they use this method. Will try and remember to ask today.

Just curious if anyone has tries such a thing. Never had problems getting bears to bait. This has always made me wonder. So figured I would here first. What do all you think?

Propane smells like Corned beef and Cabbage. I guess it comes down to if your bears prefer cold slaw or cooked cabbage.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Someone somewhere told my dad that they use a standard size propane tank and bury it in the ground. They crack the valve just barely. The bears smell the propane and come in supposedly.

Now I know bears like to chew on rafts, gas cans, planes, and seems like whatever has petroleum products in it or made from it. I am not sure who told him, but believe they use this method. Will try and remember to ask today.

Just curious if anyone has tries such a thing. Never had problems getting bears to bait. This has always made me wonder. So figured I would here first. What do all you think?

NO SMOKING IN THE STAND!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    NO SMOKING IN THE STAND!!

Good point! I don't smoke!! Just realized though I love my thermacell though!!! That shouldn't be a problem in the wide open outdoors. Would be awesome to set up a skeeter machine ran by propane, but ya know the bears would tear it up, ummm unless suspended 15' up. Now the brain is a churnin'.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Good point! I don't smoke!! Just realized though I love my thermacell though!!! That shouldn't be a problem in the wide open outdoors. Would be awesome to set up a skeeter machine ran by propane, but ya know the bears would tear it up, ummm unless suspended 15' up. Now the brain is a churnin'.
    i wonder if the bug vac..would actually IMPROVE bear sightings... as more came into be bug free for an hour or so...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

W-D 40, works on everthing from bears to catfish. ( true story)

Default propane

It is the chemical they put in the propane to give it odor the bears like. It is ethyl mercaptan.was told a guy uses a small bottle of this to bait in bears in valdez, with good success.

Default mercaptan

INCREDIBLE STUFF!! Would like to get my hands on some more. It will clear out a neighborhood if opened! Problem with it is that your must have bottle slightly cracked as it dissipates rather fast. It is a dominating smell. If anyone has any, I would be interested in buying some!

Its my understanding that they use it in parts per million when mixing it with propane. Very potent stuff, but I have heard of guys using it successfully in Wyoming.

Where can i pick some of this stuff up at?

Talking

I was an outfitter in Wyoming many years ago. I used the small propane bottles for bear bait all the time. We used to use killer horses until the French started to buy all the killer horses and the price went from $50 to $400 a head. The horses got too expensive, so started to use the propane. We would go in 15 to 25 miles horse back to the bait site, the killer horses were easy to walk in that far but when we stopped using them it was a real problem to pack in rotten stuff for the bait. That is when I started using the propane as it was easy to pack and not much cost. Hang the bottle in a tree, upside down and just crack open the valve to let a little of the liquid out to get the smell. The smell travels a long ways and works very well. A bottle would last around 2 weeks give or take.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i wonder if the bug vac..would actually IMPROVE bear sightings... as more came into be bug free for an hour or so...
    All I know is they work! Seen some in action and pretty amazing. The cost of them have came down alot. But bears chewing them up would be expensive.

Interesting to hear about the propane actually works! Never knew it was the chemical added to it. Might be worth a try to haul in a small tank.

Default open or closed while in stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I. Hang the bottle in a tree, upside down and just crack open the valve to let a little of the liquid out to get the smell. The smell travels a long ways and works very well. A bottle would last around 2 weeks give or take.
    Do you leave the bottle cracked open while in the stand or do you close it back up after a little of the liquid gets out?

I guess too that if you had multiple bears around the tank you could always shoot the tank and let he shrapnel take them all down

Just thinking

1st, is it legalin Alaska? 2nd, if it is, it would be as easy to use a unlit single mantel latern and one of those small bottles.

Terry

Default Propane

I too heard the same story about propane, a few years back I had a 100 lb bottle valve go bad, full of propane. So I thought I would see if there was any truth to this rumor. I was only watching for 4 days, but there were no bears in sight. Timeframe was early June in 14B, plenty of Brown and blacks around, just none drawn to the propane. I'm guessing the guys that use it to enhance their bait, don't need it??
    Just my experience with it.

Is this safe for the bears? I thought about using my propane bottle to heat up a can of honey, is this a possibility? I've never done a honey burn before and the propane is all i have to heat it with.

This is going to sound like a Chevrolet salesman trying to tell you to buy a Ford But if you are looking for a product that smells like propane, try "Knock Out" by James Valley Scents. WARNING Do Not Open INDOORS
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default Baitem

you beat me to it. I bought some of that a couple years ago. Ive never smelled anything stronger. When I got it it was double vacuum bagged. Im dumb and opened the bags in the house. The wife was p.o. The first time i put it out on the bait my buddy was down wind about ten yards. as I opened it I held my breath and he gagged and spit like he was going to puke. Everytime I put it out i had griz come in so I stopped using it. If you want the strongest smelling stuff you have ever smelled this is the stuff but Im warning you it will make you puke!

Northway I was told it has mercaptan in it. Hillbilly

HillBilly,
    That stuff could gag a maggot! I have no doubt it would bring in some pretty gnarly brownies.
    I feel sorry for the guy that makes that stuff. He has got to be in a full hazmat suit to mess with it.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

That sucks that it brings in the brownies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast