Thread: custom load info?

Default custom load info?

Is it possible to tear apart a load to see exactly WHAT it is without knowing anything about it? I'm not sure what powder was used..these are all unfired.

He sent 3 bags of 22-250 ammo.

The info that came with them is

and varget

I assume this is powder and how much?

I have no clue what the bullets themselves are....orange tip is about it.

I have NEVER reloaded but I sure would love to know more about these before I burn them off. I would also love to learn to reload....anyone around a good willing teacher?

Varget is a Hodgdon powder, they have a burn rate chart on the web that lists all the powders in relation to each other, fastest to slowest.

4064 is IMR 4064, not sure about 4895 off the top of my head. Can you weigh the bullet in grains? I'm NOT personally familiar with the .22-250, but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Look at Hodgdon's online reloading guide under .22-250 to see if those loads are at the upper limit or not.

Frankly, I won't use other people's reloads. I've heard too many bad stories. If you're going to reload, invest in a bullet puller-the handloader's eraser! Then you'll know the loads are safe and all you're out is the cost of the powder.

I got to looking and the 4895 is also hogdon powder.

I can weigh it but I have no way of dissassembling it. I know nothing about reloading or the do's donts of it. I do know this guy is a great reloader though, friend of the family back in MN so I do trust his loads. They are also 22-250 guys. Problem is he is a pain to get ahold of. This process of finding the info out could take months waiting on calls. Thats IF I can even get ahold of him to begin with. SO I've been hesitant to shoot these off without knowing more about them just in case one shoots good.

As for reloading I'd like to get into it. Have been eyeing the Lee kits....are kits a good thing in reloading? I already have a digital grain scale I believe goes to 12 or 1500 grains I use for arrow building. Got flustered on Potterfields webpage, almost to the point I was suprised I didnt get a link saying press 1 for english, 2 for spanish, 3 for jibberish haha...oh well.

I know this gun (and my 7mm) are great shooting guns and have a lot more potential. I've been interested in reloading so I'm thinking now might be the time?!?!

Default Get more information from the guy who loaded them for you....

The bullets sound like Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I don't know for sure. NBT's come in several weights for that caliber (40, 50 & 55grns). Knowing the bullet type, weight of the bullet and specific powder are all three required to determine if the charge that was used is appropriate.

It appears that you are correct in your assumtion that the numbers are powders and charges, e.g., IMR 4064 (powder) @ 35.2grns (charge/weight). I'll also say that according to the Nosler Reloading Manual #6, this particular example that you provided exceeds safe recommended loads for the 50 & 55grn NBT's.

It's unclear from your post if each of the three bags is individually labeled with one of the three load recipes you posted. If so, then that makes it a lot easier. You could even confirm the charge weight in each bag by using a bullet puller and a scale.

However, if the bags are not individually labeled, then trying to identify powder by sight is an unwise manuever. For example, all three of those powders are extruded type, which means that they are all three made of short, cylindrically shaped granules. Varget will have a different color than the other two...it is greenish-tan, while the other two are dark gray.

I'm a conservative handloader, so my recommended bottom line is...call the guy who did them for you and get some more information.

Doc (Chuck)

chuck...each load is in seperate bags. so the varget is all in one, 4895 in another and 4064 in the next. I'll keep trying to get ahold of him. Wasnt sure what the possibilites were. I'll get a pic of what I got and an up close of the tips post here in a few minutes.

here is what I got for 22-250 ammo from him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22-250 brass.jpg   22-250 ammo.jpg  

They look like Nosler Ballistic Tips to me. However, I can't tell by looking if they are 40, 50 or 55's. It's good to see that the bags are individually labeled.

If they are 50's or 55's, then I'll repeat what I said earlier that the IMR4064 load @35.2 is over the maximum for safe loads listed by Nosler, i.e., the manual lists a safe range of 30.5 (minimum) to 34.5 (maximum).

Doc (Chuck)

Thanks Doc,

I dont plan on shooting these till I find out more either way so it's good to know. I'm hoping one of these loads is a shooter...we'll see!

Default Thumbs up on the Lee kit.

TradBow,

I got the Lee kit when I first started handloading. It's a good, inexpensive way to "get your feet wet". I am still using the same kit with the single stage press. I'm not a high-volume handloader and it works great for small runs. Lee's stuff is good quality, and the kit comes with Lee's reloading manual. It can answer virtually every question you have about handloading. The kit comes with everything you need to start loading except the dies for your caliber, and the components. (brass, bullets, primers and powder.) I currently handload for 450 marlin, 45 ACP, 300 win mag and 243 Win.

I highly recommend the kit. There's a wealth of information on this forum, too. The folks on here are a great bunch who are quick to help when you have a question. Good luck getting started!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I am willing to help you learn reloading or pull down one each of your loads to check bullet and powder weight vs listed charges. Powder can not be identified by looking at it. The best you can do is compare it to the powder you think it is by looks and measuring diameter. Still, you can only say it may be that powder. I live in Chugiak. PM me if you want to get together to check your loads or for some help with getting started reloading. Some of the reloading kits give good value for the money. Now would be a good time to get some loading supplies and equiptment as it's starting to become available again. Sooner or later ammo and loading supplies will be hard to get for a time and it's nice to be able to shoot through the dry spells.

IMR also has a 4895 powder. I have some 40 grain Nosiler Balistic Tips with a orange tip also.

first off thanks for all the info and help.

Rbuck,

you may very well see my somewhat very confuzed face here soon . I start a new job on monday, not sure what my shift is going to look like. But it sounds like I'll end up with a 3 day weekend almost every week.

On a good note..I was able to get ahold of the guys son last nite to get the info on this ammo. So hopefully in the next day or two it'll be here.

Dan

Doc, got the info on those 250 loads...

Here is what I got...
    37.5 gr. of H380 or 33.5 gr of IMR4895: Primers WIN: 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip

I am assuming all 3 loads are the same head still trying to confirm this. I'll keep yaz posted.....

I'm hoping to order a reloading kit after xmas. I already have a digital reloading scale I use for arrow building (Rcbs). What is a good happy medium kit that has everything I need right out of the gate?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey bow... want to use my puller and scale?if it is nosler i have the books to show you also.. i am far from pro but i am loading and learning.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Doc, got the info on those 250 loads...

Here is what I got...
    37.5 gr. of H380 or 33.5 gr of IMR4895: Primers WIN: 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip

I am assuming all 3 loads are the same head still trying to confirm this. I'll keep yaz posted.....

I'm hoping to order a reloading kit after xmas. I already have a digital reloading scale I use for arrow building (Rcbs). What is a good happy medium kit that has everything I need right out of the gate?
    Good to hear back from you TBow with the information...I thought they sounded like NBT's.

I'm looking at the Nosler Reloading Book #6 right now. The loads as you have presented them are within spec's for the 55grn NBT's. Specifically, the load range for H380 is: start@35.5 and max@39.5. For IMR4895 it is: start@30.0 and max@34.0. I'd personally shoot all of those, if I trusted the guy. It was the IMR4064 loads that didn't sound right to me...what happened to them?

Regarding reloading kits and getting started, there are many helpful perspectives that have been voiced over the years on this forum. Do an archival search, and you'll get good stuff. I personally started over ten years ago with an RCBS kit and a Speer reloading book, but we all add alot of other stuff over the years. Since you like making your own arrows, you'll also enjoy making your own ammo. I make all my center-fire.

Doc

Default TB

IF these rounds were reloaded for another rifle, they might not chamber in your rifle anyway.
    Rounds that have been fired in a rifle and neck resized may not fit in another rifle of the same caliber. The solution to this is to pull the bullets and start over reloading.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    IF these rounds were reloaded for another rifle, they might not chamber in your rifle anyway.
    Rounds that have been fired in a rifle and neck resized may not fit in another rifle of the same caliber. The solution to this is to pull the bullets and start over reloading.
    That's a good point Brav01, but I don't remember reading that they were neck-sized rather than full-length sized...maybe I missed it. Giving neck-sized rounds as a gift would seem odd, i.e., rounds uniquely tailored to the chamber of a specific rifle other than the recipient's rifle. However, really odd things do happen all the time. Each chamber and throat is a little bit different, which is part of what makes handloading fun because you can fine-tune a load (such as neck-sizing, optimal powder charge, and bullet seating depth) for that particular rifle.

You are also right to exercise caution, and I sure join you in that. On the other hand TBow trusts this guy, so if the rounds chamber OK, he can decide to shoot them or not. I'd measure the OAL to obtain that data, and I'd shoot them if they chambered OK. However, that's TBow's choice.

Doc

TradBow
    I work a 7/12 week on week off. Call if you like at 688 3849 (Roger) and we'll set up a time. I can show you the basics and several types of presses and things you need to get started. It's a lot easier than you might think. rbuck

Roger,

I'll take ya up on that for sure. When I dont know...this week and next I'm off by 2, which is kind of nice...after that I go to 12's and a rotating shift.

As for reloading itself I'm just trying to figure out about how much and what I'll need. A good kit that has it all minus the dies I guess would be nice but from what I'm reading there isnt such a thing.

I can mic them to get the oal pretty easily...I do have a micrometer (more arrow stuff dont ask LOL).

For now and probably the next month or two money is going to be fairly tight...and I'm sure things will come up. This is something I'd like to get into somewhere in the very near future. for now it's gathering info, getting a good list going so when the day comes I can jump I aint buying junk or unessicary stuff like I typically go buy. I also have some 7mm ammo they sent...again I can mic it and get my oal easy enough.

Doc,

I'm not sure what happened to the 4064 load. I do trust the guys, they are definatly good at this. I'll have to try and talk to them in the upcoming weeks and get more info on it. Kind of a road to do it but it is possible now that I've gotten in touch with the family again. The reloader of the family is never online and the kids...we'll they aint quite like they used to be lol. To say attention to detail would be like trying to speak a different language in a foriegn country. I'll keep the 4064 loads aside. Really at this point I dont want to burn any of them off till I can get all the info on them BEFORE I shoot lol. Being the loading gear aint coming for a little bit, I'm not hot to trot to hit the range with them anytime soon. I have some definatly acceptable ammo for predator hunting...when I can find the time to go! UGG