Thread: Port Lyons Hunt

Default Port Lyons Hunt

Going to spend a few days at Port Lyons on the 2nd week of December to try to get a buck with my new Matthews Monster, gotta break it in! How is the road system hunting at Port Lyons? Are the deer down low yet? Thanks for any help

If I'm not mistaken the "road system" in Port Lyons extends from the ferry terminal to the village & to the dump. I think if you are on the road system you are pretty much "in town" & probably on private property. Could be wrong though.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks
    I had been told there was 14 miles of road in the Port Lyons area, Google map here I come. By the way, one of my favorite scriptures there.

+1 on the scripture!

I have never been to Port Lyons, just had a couple of locals describe it to me, so I may be way off base.
    Good luck!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Vance you are right the road system is very limited. There is probably 14 miles of roads there but all the roads are within the village, anywhere you can drive will either be native land or private property. Port lions would not be the place I would look to for a road hunt. If you dont know anyone that lives there you will have a hard time as there are no stores that have food or gas. You might be able to stay in one of the b & b's but hunting will deffinitly be limited. Hope this helps.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Port Lions road system had the same regs as the Kodiak road system. Here's the regulations and I believe the Port Lions "Road System" is closed for the year http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul.../pdfs/gmu8.pdf.

Thanks for the info folks, I will be staying at a good friends house but they are rarely there and I just haven't had a chance to sit down with them. Dont want to do anything to cause problems, might have to make day trips. Has anyone hunted this area? Ive heard the deer are plentiful...

Default atv's from ferry in port lions

I was kinda wondering the same thing about the area. I thought it was all 3 deer area and there was no road system. Since I got skunked out at sultry for 4 days ( I mean Skunked!!), i was wondering if i am able to drive my atv's off the ferry and straight into the hills at Port Lions. I was told there were miles and miles of atv trails that headed over towards kupreanof straight and vedoka bay (I think) area. Thinking it might be a better alternative than trying my old faithful area out at sultry again. Luckily i was able to hit Illinois for a few days before my big guarantee hunt in Kodiak and got a nice whitetail, so not a total loss this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A short skiff ride will get you to numerous locations that have the ability to hunt deer. Watch for the Native marked land (and it is usually well marked). I've caught a skiff ride from Anton Larsen Bay where a number of boats head towards Port Lyons and been dropped off on Whale Island and Raspberry Island for deer hunts, but I also had a ride back from those locations. Good luck!

almost all kizuyak bay shoreline is private land and deer numbers are wayyyy down over there from years past. i know there are atv trails in port lions but without a local contact i'd be hesitant to just drive off the ferry. the atv trails might not be easments and might all be on private land.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default so if your looking to close out the season. In a great way?

what lodges stay open till the end of season?

My Mistake I wanted to put this on another post. Sorry!

Default Lodge

The only one in Port Lions is the Port Lions Lodge and its right in town. http://www.portlionslodge.com/

You may need a Snowmachine in December as its all uphill from town. If theres lots of snow its best from a boat, as they are pushed down onto the beaches.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com