Thread: underhammers

Default underhammers

Does anyone shoot one of these? Are the zephyr rifles made by pacific any good?

Contact Roger Renner at the:

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

he use to own the company.

I have always wanted one. If you are into Underhammers, they are one of the best!

I have several made from H@A hammers and triggers. Very good hunting rifles.

Love them big bore muzzle-loaders!

Bruce

They're around, and those I've shot are great fun. I've only shot the smaller "gallery" type guns, but always admired the Zephyr and heard good things about them, but no firsthand experience.

I've got one beef with underhammers, and it's the only reason I don't own them. I tend to shoot with my forearm up tight near the lock, with my elbow up to my side if great precision is called for. It's a lifetime habit from offhand target shooting. And with an underhammer it almost always blows hot cap particles right down my cuff. I finish most underhammer shooting sessions with a whole bunch of little burns on my forearm, and sometimes holes in my shirts.

Default Re: Underhammers

I think underhammers are one of the best type of muzzleloading rifles and pistols to shoot. They are a lot of fun to collect too. A brass flash cup around the nipple helps with the splatter but not always. Here is a display (see photo) that me and a friend of mine put together that won Alaska Gun Collectors best of show a few years back. Underhammers also make excellent bench and cross stick rifle too. Have fun. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by alaskarobert View Post
    A brass flash cup around the nipple helps with the splatter but not always.
    The flash cups are the perfect solution for me on my sidelocks with drum bolsters, but they don't do a thing for me on underhammers. The hot slag still goes straight down my sleeve. My problem is not learning to shoot "right," but old habits are tough to break. No reflection on the underhammers by any means.

That's a great display featuring some fine looking arms. I've always admired the look of underhammers, and they sure are capable of some fine shooting.

Default thanks

thanks everyone, the picture was great.i think im going to pursue this a bit further but i must wait a bit, I just sent a ruger 77 away to get turned into a 35 whelen so will look here in canada or might look for a kit.

My freind just finished Building one. He built it from scratch though. I believe he got the underhammer action from muzzleloaderbuildersupply.com He built it in .62 and used african zebra wood. Should be neat to shoot. I believe he took it to vermont and is deer hunting with it now.

Default saw one

Well I did find one at the big gun show in Springfield MO. It was a beautiful gun! and expensive! I couldnt have bought it anyway being from Canada but it really got me wanting one worse than before.