Thread: 370 Sako

Default 370 Sako

Just read the article in American rifleman on this round. Anybody shooting one yet? for some reason Ive always been intruiged by 9.3 rounds. Hillbilly

I'd love to see one of these... I did have a friend try one out at the press event at SHOT last year. He said it kicked like an absolute fiend in the Sako 85 they had on hand.

He thinks I'd love it.

Default 9.3 what ever...

That 9.3 caliber has a great reputation for putting the big critters on the ground. It should, it is so close to the great Three Seven Five H&H if similar bullet weights of the same type are driven to similar velocities. I think the old 9.3 X 64 Breeneke case is very good. Neck it up or down, its good. It was way ahead of its time. Like most calibers, the available bullets, rifles, and publicity from "gun writers" make or break a caliber.

One of the really interesting things about this cartridge is that its about as big as one can practically go on a "30-06" sized case.

Very stout ballistics and a full four or five rounds down in a lot of rifles, not the three you get with most of the fatter magnums.

Default American rifleman

that was in the article. It holds 4 down and can be used in the same action length as 06. With ballistics some where between 338 and 375 HH whats not to like. Maybe the lack of 9.3 bullets would be a problem. Wonder if anyone but sako is going to chamber this? Hillbilly

Default 9.3x62

Take a look at a 9.3x62 first . CZ rifles are chambered for this and are relatively cheap , I have the 550 American and it is a great rifle . 9.3x62 factory ammo and most listed handloads are anemic , possibly because of all the 96's floating around . Using Ramshot Big Game I'm slinging Nosler 286's just a tad under 2550 f.p.s. . which pretty much equals the 370 Sako .

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    that was in the article. It holds 4 down and can be used in the same action length as 06. With ballistics some where between 338 and 375 HH whats not to like. Maybe the lack of 9.3 bullets would be a problem. Wonder if anyone but sako is going to chamber this? Hillbilly
    I think you've got 9.3 Noslers, TSXs, Barnes Solids and some no name cup and cores for practice... what other bullets would you need?

I believe all you'd need to do is a barrel swap to rechamber any existing '06 into the .370. As far as factory rifles go, it looks like Sako is it for the time being. Some other European rifles might be chambered in it.

Ammo is high and there isn't much of it around anywhere so I'm guessing this is a reloader's cartridge. I couldn't find load data anywhere.

Talking Barnes

Is all i shoot! Hillbilly