Thread: Quick Guide to Fairbanks Spearing

Default Quick Guide to Fairbanks Spearing

Here's something fun to do in Fairbanks:

Drill a hole on the Chena River, get down and look for fish. The depth should be about 4'. Drill holes until you see fish. You should see lots of whitefish, grayling, suckers, a few pike and maybe a burbot.

Best places to look are between the mouth and the dam, I like the stretch on Ft Wainwright. Try to find a place out of the fast current. Near beaver food piles can be good. Eddys are best. Just keep drilling and looking. It won't take long. The water is crystal clear. Let your eyes adjust a while. Use your hands to block the light.

When you find a good spot, shovel it clear. Drill 4 holes in a rectangle. Connect the holes with an ice saw. Finished hole should be about 24"X12". Push the block down and out of the way.

Pull a portable ice shack over the hole you just made. Shovel snow around the bottom. Fire up heater and sit on a lawn chair in the shack and spear away. If there are lots of pike, try using a pike decoy. I usually have best luck finding whitefish. They stay in little groups of 3-4 and move around quite a bit. Make sure to tie your spear off so you don't lose it.

You can get spears, ice saws, etc.. at Sportsman's or Sentry.

Let us know if you try and have any luck.

Here's what the regs say:
    Suckers and burbot may be taken with spear or bow and arrow the entire year.
    Northern pike may be taken by spear or bow and arrow during any open season for northern pike that occurs between September 1–April 30, or may be speared by persons completely submerged during any open season for northern pike, excluding Harding Lake, which is closed to pike fishing.
    Whitefish (excluding sheefish) may be taken by spear or bow and arrow September 1–April 30 and may be speared the entire year only by persons completely submerged, excluding the Chatanika River drainage.

Thumbs up

You sold me! Sounds like a lot of fun.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default Spearing Pike

Spearing Pike sure is a lot of fun.
    The ice saw is the way to go also. I switched from the chainsaw to the icesaw a couple of years ago and am extremely pleased with the results.
    A little more armstrong but no water flying everywhere and no frozen saw to thaw later.
    Cutting a big spear hole is like having a tv view of whats going on in the lake.
    and watching a pike sneak up on your decoy is really cool.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default HHmmmm....

As if i didnt have enough fishing gear, this has piqued my interest. I may have to try this... My credit card thanks you
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I am game...anyone wanna put a trip together?

Karl do you have any gear? Im not able to buy any more ice gear for awhile.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I've been out on the stretch around fort wainwright before hoping to find a spot to fish (not spear - just haven't found the money for a spear)

I had a hard time finding much water but did find plenty of thin ice - so be careful exploring the river

also don't be mad if you chew up some dirt or gravel with your auger

it does sound like fun to have fishing that close to home but for me it was a bust when I tried it last year.

good luck if you try and be careful!

I got one spear that might work and I can borrow a real spear. Plus i have an auger and a quickfish 3 shelter. I've never been on the stretch behind Wainwright before. Next week I have Tuesday and Thursday open.

Thanks
    Carl

I will be out of town this weekend, but you guys should try right at the boat launch at rec issue. Drill a hole close by, check depth of ice, look through hole for fish. Do this until you see a fish, then get serious about cutting a spearing hole.

I'd be leery about running up and down the river right now, might be some open water or thin ice. Another good place would be near the bridge at the golf course. It's best if you know what the river is like in the summer--you want fairly deep water without a strong current. Your auger will not like hitting the rocks. Just up from the bridge on the parking area side is a good spot, but watch the ice depth.

You will be surprised how many whitefish are in the Chena. They fry up good, too. They run around 12-18". Just don't spear a sheefish or a grayling!

This method of spearing also works good on lakes for pike, I've never tried it on the FtWW lakes, but I know there are some with pike in them. Drill a hole in 5-8' of water and jig a pike lure around, they will come by for a look. Try to throw your spear straight down, you can never hit them at an angle. Pin them against the bottom till they quit struggling a few seconds before pulling them out.

Hope you get to take advantage of the chinook!