Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 Mauser work

I have never used an '03 bottom metal. I have heard it can be done just never went that route.

Luckily, all the mark X I have owned have been the older models with the release in the bow. No complaints so far. Grant it it is no saterlee, sunny hill, etc but they work great.

The H&H bottom metal I just picked up is off a mark X. I maybe down a round or 2 compared to some of the good aftermarket metal but I think I can make it work.

Default I'll trade

I have a nice complete orginal DWM military 1909 Argentine barreled action I'd love to trade for a FN Supreme mauser action with the hinged floorplate if you know of anyone that is interested.

As I mentioned earlier I enjoy taking an old military rifle and converting it into something interesting but doing the work yourself is most of the fun and the only thing that makes sense financially. '98s are easy to rebarrel and work on and used to be inexpensive.

I have a Mannlicher carbine I built out of a VZ33 many years ago. I put a set of double set triggers in it to make it more traditional. The .405/7mm Mag I picked up this summer was built on a 1941 Orbendorf Portugese Mauser - I had never even seen one before but it is nice. I need to post some pictures of it soon.

But the FN and Husqavarna out of the 50s are also quite nice. I suspect the steel in the later guns is also some what better - we learned a lot about metallurgy in the last 50 years or so.

The 1917s are great actions for magnums and large calibers. I have one converted to .375 H&H with a 30" heavy barrel built for 600 or 1000 yd prone position matches probably back in the 50s. It has a Lyman 48 on it and probably shot well for its intended purpose. I also have a couple more sporters in the orginal '06 and a couple of 1917 and P14 actions I need to do something with. My comment was that the Rem. Mdl. 30 is much nicer to build a high dollar rifle with however - they have several nice features that are tough to duplicate with a 1917 action. Models 30s aren't easy to find but they are around and aren't too expensive - I only paid $200 for the last one I bought a year or so ago. The Model 720s are even nicer but very scarce and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I'm not saying anythiong wrong with Fn Commercial muasers but their are alot of folks who would chuck that action into the river and a take beautifull DWM 1909 over that anyday... Same goes for 1908 Brazilian too, take it over the FN... I have a custom built rifle built up on a pristine 98 obendorf action... I would take that over the commercial FN... I also a 98/22 mauer, VZ 24 as well... I also have a factory cougar voerre built in Austria on a mauser action and it is chambered in the 308 norma mag... I also have a interarms MK X as well. I just enjoy taking a old 98 mauser and turning it into something nice and fun to shoot also I'm a big wildcat nut as well and most of my guns are chambered for oddballs which is what this one is going to be chambered for a 338-284. I have 1909 DWM that will be put together shortly after my return and it is chambered for the 7mm Gibbs. You talk of the P-17 I have a beautiful 1917 a remington one no less chambered for a 348-06 ackley improved... I do have a 358 Norma mag built up on a commercial mauser...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Here's a 1909 Argentine done for me by Ed Lapour. Ed is now making the Wisner three position safeties. I would strongly advise that you contact him if you are serious about Mauser work. I would post more pics, but am having trouble with my photo host at the moment. This barrelled action is also on Ed's website.

That is one sweet action! What are your plans for it?

Default Ditto Ed LaPour

Ed did some extensive metal work on a Ruger #1 action for me about a year ago. He did a great job. The price was right, turnaround time was good, and he is a great guy.

Default Pictures please!

Can you please show us some pictures?

We would love to see what you can do with a Ruger No. 1.

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    Ed did some extensive metal work on a Ruger #1 action for me about a year ago. He did a great job. The price was right, turnaround time was good, and he is a great guy.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Can you please show us some pictures?

We would love to see what you can do with a Ruger No. 1.

THANKS!
    I second this one!

Default Ruger 1 pics

I would be happy to post some pictures. However, I am having a little bit of engraving done and it will probably be a couple of months before I get it back. I'll post some then. Basically, I had a half round/half octagon bbl installed (204 Ruger caliber), with a bbl band swivel base. and integral Talley scope bases. Ed then completely reshaped the under lever, installed a set trigger, and milled the top tang for a recessed safety button. He also installed a new through bolt and die ground the receiver sides so they are perfectly flat. I may have some pics that I sent to the engraver, but I am out of town for another week or so and will look around when I return, and if so, will post those.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That is one sweet action! What are your plans for it?
    [QUOTE=TomM;623423]Chisana- That is a beautiful action. Ive always heard Ed Lapour's work was top-notch, looks to be that way. What are you going to chamber it in?
    QUOTE]

It's a 35 Whelen. 23" Krieger barrel, Blackburn drop box magazine that will hold six rounds down, Blackburn trigger, and a Leupold 1.5-5 in Talley rings. I need to get it sent off for engraving and stocking before too long. The plan is to have some light English scroll engraving done (maybe 1/3 coverage) and a classic style stock. I'm debating on going with a leather covered recoil pad, or perhaps just a Silvers. I've got a couple of nice walnut blanks and it should make a nice moose and grizzly rifle when finished.

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    I would be happy to post some pictures. However, I am having a little bit of engraving done and it will probably be a couple of months before I get it back. I'll post some then. Basically, I had a half round/half octagon bbl installed (204 Ruger caliber), with a bbl band swivel base. and integral Talley scope bases. Ed then completely reshaped the under lever, installed a set trigger, and milled the top tang for a recessed safety button. He also installed a new through bolt and die ground the receiver sides so they are perfectly flat. I may have some pics that I sent to the engraver, but I am out of town for another week or so and will look around when I return, and if so, will post those.

I would like to see that one as well. I've spoken with Ed and Mark Penrod about Ruger #1 work and they both can do some really amazing things to the Ruger. Now with the Hagn action it is pretty much a wash money wise to convert a Ruger.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    President's Hundred

Wow that is one fine looking rifle. Those moose and grizzly will be taken with pure elegance. I doubt they will know what to do after seeing a work of art like that out in the woods of Alaska.

Chisana-That is one of the most classy custom rifles I have seen. Simple and well done. Please post more pics once stocked. Who does your stock work?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Wow that is one fine looking rifle. Those moose and grizzly will be taken with pure elegance. I doubt they will know what to do after seeing a work of art like that out in the woods of Alaska.
    I think animals should just volunteer to be shot with a rifle like this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Chisana-That is one of the most classy custom rifles I have seen. Simple and well done. Please post more pics once stocked. Who does your stock work?
    I have stocks by Jerry Fisher and Dennis Erhardt, but am planning to have Duane Wiebe stock this one. I have not had any work done by Duane yet, but people who have done projects with him tell me that he is great to work with.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    President's Hundred

Default Duane Wiebe

If you go over to accurate reloading and Duane is a regular over thier in the gunsmith forum's... My buddy at carson has the inside tack on some very good gunsmith/stockmakers... I think he has had some work done by Duane Wiebe and some others. Shoot him a e-mail and ask him if he can send you pics of his custom model 70's that Dean Zollinger did for him... I'm going to send that VZ off to Mr. Zollinger and have him do the metal work and fit the barrle to the action as well...

Here is my buddies e-mail
    wberger70@hotmail.com

Default Well

I will be sending the VZ24 out of state to Dean Zollinger in Idaho. Going to use bottom metal from Duane Wiebe's outfit, going to use a McGowen barrel going to make a 338-06... Going to order a stock blank out of Nevada from gunstockblanks.com some of the prettiest black walnut... This is going to be my wife anniversary present. Dakota style safety, who knows what else LOL... After this I'm going to have him do a 375H&H on vz24 or DWM depends which one I find 1st....

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    If you go over to accurate reloading and Duane is a regular over thier in the gunsmith forum's... My buddy at carson has the inside tack on some very good gunsmith/stockmakers... I think he has had some work done by Duane Wiebe and some others. Shoot him a e-mail and ask him if he can send you pics of his custom model 70's that Dean Zollinger did for him... I'm going to send that VZ off to Mr. Zollinger and have him do the metal work and fit the barrle to the action as well...

Here is my buddies e-mail
    wberger70@hotmail.com
    Thanks for the head's up. I'm on AR a lot and Duane is a great asset to that forum. I've seen your buddie's Model 70s on there, they are nice. Looks like dean does great work.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    President's Hundred

Ed Lapour is tops in my book also. If you want the best welding for bolt handle replacement then you don't need to go any further than in Fairbanks, perhaps the finest in the country and does far more than anybody else in the country. All Tig welded, and much cheaper than all the also rans.http://www.accu-tig.com/ For the three position safety then Ed is your man. I have a number of 1909 actions I collected back when I paid around 20 to 25.00 each for them. Mighty fine actions. New bottom metal from Wiebe is great but not cheap. But makes for a lot more versatility.

Don't even think about hot bluing any decent rifle or shotgun, find someone that will rust blue for you or learn to do it yourself. It is fr and away the best way to go. The difference is night and day and when and if you see a well done rust blue job you will never be satisfied with a tank blue job again.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Hello "323" RE Gibbs rifles and cartridges

Hi there,

My name is Casey and I just joined this site to email you about your Gibbs rifle... I am a grandson of Rocky Gibbs (he was my Maternal grandfather) and am anxiously engaged in collecting any rifles he built and some he rechambered for others. Can you tell me which you have and whether you have any interest in selling it? Thank you sir.

Sorry to say this isn't one of your grandfather guns It would be pretty neat to find an Gibbs rifle that was chambered by your grandfather. My buddy in Oregon did the chambering for me.. But it is built on a 1909 DWM action with a 24 inch Douglas barrel... So probably not what you are looking for.. I would be interested to know did your grandfather sell any of his reamers that he made or were they all destroyed, Don't know how true all that is going off of what I have heard, after he died everything was destroyed, reamers, books. I would of loved to have met him person. Good luck on your search...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12