Thread: 22-250 loads

Default 22-250 loads

I've been planning on working up a good load for my 22-250. Was going to go with a heavier, tougher bullet that I could use for wolves and maybe blacktail. THe 53gr Barnes TSX, and 60gr Nosler partiton are the two I'm mainly looking at. I might also look at the 55gr Nosler BT. Not a heavier bullet but I know of several michigan whitetails that have been taken with the 55gr BT right behind the shoulder.

What is everyone running in thier 22-250s

My all-time favorite powder for all the 22-250's I've owned is IMR-4320. I adjust the charge up and down to suit the bullet, but likely as not 4320 is going to be one of the most accurate powders, if not THE most accurate. All of my shooting with the caliber these days is to explode sod poodles, so I can't help you try to keep bullets in one piece.

IMR 4895 53 gr TSX great for wolves, coyotes and fox w/ no pelt damage if you don't hit bone on the fox (fox in neck = no head) very accurate in a rem 700 SPS I would not hesitate to shoot deer caribou or black bear, this is what works for me hope it helps.

Default 22-250

I'm not sure what the twist is in your rifle. If your twist is 1-14 as some are I think you'll find both of the bullets you are lookin at won't be as accurate in your rifle as many other bullets would. The bullets you are looking at will work much better in rifles with 1-12 twist or faster twists down to maybe 1-8 or so.
    Barnes doesn't reccommend the 53 grn in rifles with the slower twists either.
    Enjoy your project !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'll be shooting these out of a 24" encore barrel with a 1-12 twist. A fast twist 1-8, short action in 22-250AI has been a daydream of mine for a few years now. I think a 75gr amax @ 3600fps would be a really flat shooter and do a decent job on coyote, wolves and deer. Every time I start to really think about making one I find the practical side of my brain saying "243 winchester, stupid". I have had a couple of 243s and killed a boatload of whitetails with it, seems like almost trying to reinvent the wheel.

Hey Josh, didnt know you reloaded. I also have a 22-250, kimber. Sweet rifle. Right now I'm shooting factory ammo. have some custom ammo I lost the specs on and the guy who built it isnt around anymore.

Other then knowing what kind of powder it is..is there a way to tell everything else? I know NOTHING about reloading so sorry for the ignorant question....but I was thinking how far the bullet is seated..and how much powder was all I would get from it?

He also reloaded a couple rounds for my 7mm....same thing no info on it. Still trying to get ahold of the guy.

Josh, I've had great accuracy with H380 and RL-15 powders in my .22-250. I'd start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    A fast twist 1-8, short action in 22-250AI has been a daydream of mine for a few years now. I think a 75gr amax @ 3600fps would be a really flat shooter.....
    I've got a 1-8" twist barrel that I'm thinking of getting re-chambered to .22-250AI, and slapping it on my .22-250 LVSF. The idea of the 75gr A-Max at warp factor five, appeals to me as well.

As for a .243, yep, I want one of them too. I'm thinking I need another heavyweight, in a McMillan A5, and the 105gr A-Max sounds like a winner.

I've also had good results with H380 and my 22-250 (Tikka 595).

Regarding your other project, have you considered bumping-up a little bit more to a quarter-bore? There are lots of great bullet choices out there for that caliber. The chamberings are fantastic (.257 Roberts, 25-06 or 257WBY) for the applications you're talking about.

Doc (Chuck)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Regarding your other project, have you considered bumping-up a little bit more to a quarter-bore? There are lots of great bullet choices out there for that caliber.
    I had a Remington Mtn Rifle in .257 Roberts, years ago. I traded the rifle off, but I soon regretted that decision. Wanting another lightweight quarter-bore, I decided on the .25-284 chambering. I went with a mountain rifle pattern, again, and had it twisted up with a Pac-Nor 3-groove barrel. My .25-284 is proving to be a good shooter and with 100gr TSX's, I'm betting critters won't find it amusing.

Dan a fast twist 243 shooting 115gr bergers would be a lazer beam at long range too. Or better a 243 AI.

I'll give this encore barrel a run for its money and try those barnes 53gr TSX. Steve built up a fast twist 223 WSSM that really got me thinking about 75gr amax and high velosity, looks cool.

Tradbow- what factory ammo have you been using? Any experience on wolves with it yet?

Josh,

No wolves yet. I'm using 45gr jhp remington ammo from sportsmens. Drop me a line tonight if you're around. I also have a couple boxes of 50 and 55, havent messed with them since I remounted my scope. I'll keep you posted on these handloads I had mentioned.

Dan

Tradbow,

That 45gr JHP winchester bulk ammo shot REALLY well out of my encore and the 45gr bulk remington stuff shot great out of my AR15. I shot a couple of coyotes with the 45gr winchester stuff one exit one didn't both were dead on spot. I would be a little afraid of pelt damage on a fox though. I shot a fox with the 45gr remington ammo out of my 223 and had a pretty large exit wound. Both shot really good though.

Josh,

I was shooting that win bulk ammo..to bad they dont sell it up here anymore. Hence the swap to the rem ammo. Verdict's out. I'm going to the range again this weekend. Still no info on the 22-250 ammo that was loaded up for me. I'm hoping I get it here soon, when I do I'll drop ya a line and pass the info along. We'll have to hook up this winter for some songdog calling!

I feel that the Nosler BT is not what you're looking for if considering anything larger than a yote. The TSX and Partition will be better choices.

You're on the precipice already with this caliber for deer and I wouldn't push it with a BTip-style bullet.

I've had success with Varget in the 35.0 - 35.5gr range with 60gr Partitions and with H-4895, 34.0-34.4gr for the same. Not max loadings but very accurate in an Encore with 1-12" twist.