Thread: Wolf loads in the 22-250

Default Wolf loads in the 22-250

I was thinking about putting together a good load for wolves in the 22-250. I figured due to the size and tenacity of wolves that a heavier, tougher bullet might be in order. My 22-250 has a 1-12 twist so bullet length is an issue. Two of the bullets I was thinking about were the 53gr Barnes TSX and 60gr Nosler Partition. These bullets have a pretty good reputation on deer so they should be tough enough to punch thru a wolf. Maybe I can use it on a blacktail or too also. I was also hoping that they might be tough enough to not disrupt too much on a fox or coyote and leave less pelt damage.

Default go with the barnes...

I'm doing the same with my 22-250 A.I. I have loaded 50gr. Hornady V-Max for success on whitetail, but the perfect shot MUST be made. the tsx should be excellent for small holes on smaller fur, and great penetration and retention on larger animals.

I shot a wolf/dog cross one time with a 222 and 40gr Vmax. Back in michigan my girlfriends parents had a sheep farm and a local degenerate had several of these dog/wolf cross breeds, he went to jail and his wife turned them all loose. They went on a killing spree of local livestock until they were all killed. I nabbed one that was out attacking sheep with my 222 as I was out predator hunting that morning and got the phone call they needed help.

One of those 40gr Vmax bullets at just over 3000fps out of my short barreled reminton 600, at a range of a little over 200 yards. Slipped it in the back side of the ribcage angling forward, no exit. A couple of twirlinging thrashes was all it he did. It was a large dog weighing over 100lbs. I wouldn't want to try a lenghways shot with that bullet, shot placement has to be perfect to get the penetration you need on bigger animals.

An old guy I used to predator hunt with shot several whitetails with a 222 and 50gr remington loads, but he lost a few also, they was never any blood trails. I imagine that that 50gr BT at 22-250AI velosities is a gernade inside the ribcage of a whitetail. Did you get may exits or did the bullet normall completely tear apart in the animal?

Default no exits..

but a full chest cavity of destruction. with the right shot, complete energy transfer and lung/heart destruction did the job, no blood-trail needed.

I loaded up some 53 grain barnes TSX for my 22-250. I have not shot anything with it yet, but it is smoking at about 3800 FPS and groups at .75. I cant wait to get out and do some dog hunting this winter.

that sounds like a great load swamp donkey, what powder?

I have been using 37.5 grains of Varget. I haven't seen any pressure signs, but that is the book max and they shot well out of my rifle. I'm also shooting a cheap stevens model 200. I figured .75 is not a bad group for a cheaper rifle. I do also have a after market trigger in it. It breaks at 2 lbs and I really think the trigger helps alot.