Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Called in my first coyote

Thumbs up Called in my first coyote

They say that it's better to be lucky than good. While I don't generally go by that mantra, today luck was on my side even if skill was not.

I had intended to spend the day setting out 10-20 snares in an area that a friend ran a trapline in a couple of years ago. He had decent success and never crossed another human footprint once he was more than 1/2 mile off the road, so I figured it was worth a shot. A couple of hours into the day and a few miles from my truck, I finally had to admit that I didn't know what I was doing. I decided not to set any snares after all, as the only really good sets I could figure out would have caught me nothing but hares. I found a few sets of lynx tracks, but they didn't seem to be following a pattern that I could see, which perhaps isn't surprising given only ~6 inches of snow. Other potential tracks were covered by the couple of inches of overnight snow, so I decided that I would be better off coming back later in the winter when the trails were more established and when I might be able to talk someone into coming along.

Since I was already well into my day, I figured that I might as well give a few blows on the predator call to see if lightning might strike. I've only ever tried calling a handful of times, and other than ravens and magpies, my success had been nil. I've taken a wolf and a fox, but those were spotted while hunting other critters, not taken intentionally. I called for 3-4 minutes at a time and rested for about five, and did this cycle three or four times. Not having a lot of faith that my calling was believable to a fox or coyote, I decided to pack it in at about the 20 minute mark despite advice to keep going for 30-45. I packed my rifle into my pack, as the climb back to the truck would require both hands. Wouldn't you know it...after I stood and had walked about 15 steps, my eyes caught movement almost directly in front of me. To my surprise, a coyote had come in across the gravel bars and was now looking in my direction. He was too far out to consider trying a shot with my .22 handgun, so I furiously tore my pack off and unstrapped my rifle. I was amazed when I got setup and still found him standing there. He was bouncing around a bit, obviously unsure of what was going on, but he wasn't running. I rushed my first shot a bit and hit him behind his lungs, but it was obvious that he was wounded. He did run out of sight as I tried a follow up shot, but when I followed him I immediately found blood. He ran probably 300 yards out across a gravel bar to where I finally found him lying in some overflow. I had to walk on some ice that I wasn't particularly comfortable with to retrieve him, but other than some slightly damp feet all was well.

It's just a coyote - not as glamorous as calling in a lynx or wolf - but man, that was sure exciting having something come in to a call. I'm sure it was 99% luck, but I'll take it.

AWESOME!!! Man I GOTTA get out. Rumor has it I may be spending the rest of the winter "abroad" though nothing is for sure just yet. It sure would be nice to get at least a quick trip or two in pretty soon.

Nice job- calling in any of the predators is a great feeling.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

WAY TO GO!!! next stop spring blackies!!!! you'll love it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Way to go Brian! I'm hoping I can get into a 'Yote or two this winter.

(Note to self... be patient!)
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Way to go Brian. A good portion of success when calling is being in the right place at the right time. Certainly don't look down at it only being "just" a coyote. My biggest satisfaction comes from having one of those guys come into my setup. When I go out calling that's what I'm trying for. If something else comes in then cool......keeps it interesting. Good job. Background in your photo looks kind of familiar too.

Well done, nice write-up and photo. What cartridge........?

Good job!! I've tried calling for foxes before with no luck, it's gotta be pretty cool to look up and see something coming to you. You fooled it to think you were another yote so you must have been doing something right!! congrats

Very cool! I called in my first coyote last weekend, called for no more than 5 min., but was out of shotgun range(now I got a 17hmr ) . Predator hunting is great.

AGL - It was a 55gr out of a .223

CGSwimmer - Actually, I used a rabbit in distress call. I don't have the first clue how to sound like a coyote.

Thanks for the congrats, folks. Now I get to go spend my afternoon turning eyes, lips, etc.

Nice job Brian! By the looks of the terrain, this must be the area you were telling me about last year.... Congrats on the dog!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Very nice

If your calling ravens and magpies you are doing it right. just keep at it. Thanks for sharing. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Nice job Brian! By the looks of the terrain, this must be the area you were telling me about last year.... Congrats on the dog!
    Yep, that's the spot. I'm sure a lot of folks recognize the general vicinity, but not likely the exact location. It took me 2 hours to hike in (though I was meandering a lot looking for snaring spots) and a little over 2 hours to hike out, so I don't expect that I'll have a lot of company there anytime soon.

I figure I'll give it another try in a couple of weeks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, that's the spot. I'm sure a lot of folks recognize the general vicinity, but not likely the exact location. It took me 2 hours to hike in (though I was meandering a lot looking for snaring spots) and a little over 2 hours to hike out, so I don't expect that I'll have a lot of company there anytime soon.

I figure I'll give it another try in a couple of weeks.

so my question is....

How do all you guys do the self photo bit? what are you using to set your selfs up?
    you have a great pose and picture for being alone

i used to have a great camera with an infra red remote but have not seen one since it went Digi...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so my question is....

How do all you guys do the self photo bit? what are you using to set your selfs up?
    you have a great pose and picture for being alone
    I just set the 10 second timer on my camera, rest it on my pack, or on a glove sitting on a stump, then run like crazy to get set up in time for the picture to snap. It usually takes a few tries to get a good one, but I've had plenty of practice. It helps that my camera has a flip-out screen that can be turned around. I can actually see the screen from where I'm standing in the picture, so that way I know for sure that I'm in the frame.

Default Nice song dog

Well done. Brian, you might say it is only a coyote, but they don't call him "Wiley Coyote" for nothing.... Coyotes are very cautious and don't give you any chance to screw up, you beat him at his own game. I see more fur in your future.

Thumbs up

Excellent day out, for sure. I haven't put any time into predators yet this fall. I am inspired by this, so tomorrow AM, I will be on my perch.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Excellent

Good job Brain, We should team up sometime and go out and do some real damage.. I got some predators this weekend too.. Even a Cherry fox at noon yesterday.. That doesnt happen..

Congratulations Brian, nice dog! Just one of many now I'm sure of it.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Good job Brain, We should team up sometime and go out and do some real damage.
    Just let me know when. It would be nice to have a second set of eyes, and it would be nice to learn from someone else and what they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast